1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sono Tube Sub advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by smallangryboy, Dec 12, 2004.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Forgive me for the repeat post, but I needed some advice and I'd hoped you guys may be able to help.

I'm in the middle of developing some bespoke speakers for my home cinema system and I'm looking to partner an active subwoofer with them. I've been looking at the SVS 25-31PC-Plus subwoofer, as it's got an excellent reputation in the UK, and is similar in size to what I'm after.

But I've been bitten by the DIY bug and fancy having a go myself. I wondered if anyone recommended any drivers and amps to go into a 28"-30" [70-75cm] tall, 16" [40cm] wide sonotube, so that it's up there with the SVS for quality of sound and for bass extension, or better ! Not looking to destroy buildings, so probably a 10" drive unit will be adequate for my needs, but it needs to be good quality.

I've attached my designs, I'm having the caps turned in real wood as this is beyond my expertise but a bit of gluing and painting is OK. Port is on the top, Amp at the back and driver underneath. Any advice greatfully received especially on components, volumes, port length etc...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The two mos tpopular subs for this are the Ausio Adire - Tempest(15") and Shiva (12") , but they are out of stock of the Tempest at the moment... http://www.adireaudio.com/

3. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I was also looking to use the Peerless XLS12 in a closed 50 litre design, which by many reports performs well, anyone have experience with this configuration ? I found this link THOR with details. Was also going to add a BSB 300w amp to the design to make it active.

4. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Your not going to be able to make a Sonotube with such small volume... You'll have to decide on sizes to start with :)

5. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My maths is a shade rusty, and I've been reliant on free volume calculator software, but 50 litres works out at about a 40cm diameter and 50 cm in height. I've contacted Essex Tubing and they make off the shelf stuff of similar dimensions so it's possible - something like this :
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sure your maths is fine ;) but I see you've lost the port (So now sealed not vented) and you'll have to check the panel size and speaker placement as you don't want the two to clash

8. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Your right, and as you pointed out the sub has shrunk in size and I've lost the porting, changing up to maybe a Peerless XLS12 sealed enclosure of 50 litres. I'll do some quick modelling to check they don't clash :) Just out of interest what's the approximate displacement of a plate amp in litres, when calculating enclosure size ? I'm guessing maybe 1 or 2 at the most ?!

9. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    GaryG, thanks for the link I'll check it out.

10. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I stuck the T/S parameters for the XLS12 into Unibox and got a pretty disappointing plot, maybe somebody can do a double check 'cause it looks like it's got an f3 of around 74hz in a heavily stuffed 50l enclosure, maybe I goofed with the sim.

11. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Haven't got Unibox I'm afraid and just warming up with winISD after a long absence. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on suitable sealed enclosure sizes for this driver.

12. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I also spotted this in my travels Wilmslow Audio XLS sub An even smaller 40 litre enclosure ,however it looks to be ported, and I wondered if anyone had built this project, and cared to share their thoughts ?