1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SonicStage woes - HEEEEELP!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by drmoze, Sep 6, 2005.

1. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gee, how long has it been since I got my HD5 -- 2 weeks or so? And I have yet to get a file transferred onto it or hear a song played thru it. *sigh* Thank you Sony software developers....

After several earlier problems (SS 3.2 not seeing my HD5, trying to completely remove SS and do a clean reinstall and getting stuck, etc.) I'm now back to the original SS problems. In no particular order:

SS 3.2 will rip some CDs, although I have been getting a lot of 'delayed write failed, data lost'-type messages while ripping. I am saving files to an external USB hd which appears to be working fine. And, even after these error messages, the album folders show up with filenames that appear to be of the right lenght inside (a few MB for each song).

I cannot seem to rename album titles in the My Library window. Sometimes SS lets me edit (either by pressing F2 or going to 'Properties'-'Rename') and I can change the album name (mainly to shorten a few). Going back to My Library (or quitting and restarting SS) and what I see is the original *unchanged* album name! I even tried changing the album name *and* renaming the album folder on my HD, to no avail. WHY?

SS basically freezes up my computer for a long time (30-60 seconds) practically EVERY time I click on something (such as the 'Edit' menu, an album title (to edit), the 'Import' or 'My Library' tabs up top, etc. I can continue to use other programs, and eventually SS unfreezes, until I click on the next thing! It is IMPOSSIBLE to get CDs ripped or manage music files with this constant freezing. SO far I have about 6-7 CDs ripped. I'd like to change the title of a few, but SS is not cooperating.

I still can't transfer a single file to my HD5, although SS does see my HD5 when I connect it now. The transfer button either freezes, or I can click it and the Time Remaining screen comes on but goes nowhere. No transfer. Nada. Tried reinitializing my HD5 (hey, there's nothing on it to lose!) and that doesn't help either.

And of course, sometimes SS flakes out and freezes totally while ripping a CD. Eventually I will get an error message, sometimes.

As for my system, it's an IBM T42 laptop with WinXP Pro and SP2 installed, Norton Antivirus (which I've turned off temporarily to no avail), no codec packages that I could find, checks out clean for spyware. Not sure what else to look for. I've tried reinstalling fresh from the online SS3.2 downloader, and from the SS3.1 CD that came with my HD5. Nothing helps and all of these recurring freezes and errors leaves me with an empty HD5 and a few useless Atrac3+ albums 9at 192 kbps) on my external HD. Oh boy.

ANY ideas on what to do???? TIA...... :lease: :(

2. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used sonic stage yesterday to upload songs from the pc to his minidisc...i had to import and convert all the music from wma formatt which took forever..and then it didnt even recognise the minidisc! it took about 2 n half hours to do all that aswell, wasted the last night of my summer!

3. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hear ya... I only waste a couple of hours a day (OK, sometimes more) trying to get SS to work and maybe hear music from my HD5 someday.... I usually do something else too (tv, work, read) so it's not a TOTAL waste of time. But after 2 weeks, at least my HD5 is pristine and like new!

4. Moosterman

Moosterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had similar problems wit SS 3.1, eventually I gave up ripping with SS and now use Cakewalk Pyro or dbpoweramp, in addition I downloaded the driver from the Sony website and the followed the procedure used in the thread below

http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...ight=Sonicstage.

Since then I've still had a few problems (After transferring 95% of my tracks SS wanted me the initialize my HD5 before it would transfer anything) but a massive improvement over what I had

5. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I occasionally have trouble ripping with Sonic Stage, but I don't get the same error message. Try eliminating a few basic issues, such as ensuring that the CD laser head is clean, that your external HD is working properly -- maybe rip some tracks to the HD as mp3, then import to Sonic Stage / play in another program, so you can work out if it is only SS that is affected.

Don't know if you are ripping to Atrac or mp3. If you don't desparately need Atrac, then an alternative for you is to rip/organise your library with [say] Music Match, then use the Vaio Music Transfer utility. At least you'd get to hear some tunes on your HD5.

mal.

6. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tips. Although SS itself still freezes up, I'll try transferring some mp3 files I have. The laser is fine--it reads and burns CDs no problem, and does direct realtime playback of audio CDs. The HD is recognized and appears to work fine (reading and writing files). I reinstalled the driver to be sure. Files on it appear normal and can be copied back to my internal drive.

There might be some installed software that interferes with SS, causing it to freeze up repeatedly. I read that some codec packages do this, but I have none of those. It is a work laptop (thus the external HD) and I dunno if there might be other software causing a conflict. It is my only option for ripping my CD collection tho.

Shoulda mentioned that Atrac encoding is a must for me, and one of the reasons I bought a Sony DAP. I listen mostly to albums and gapless playback is essential. I look at my music in terms of how many albums I have, and I think it's strange that most people talk only of how many "tracks" or "files" they have. Maybe I should refer to my albums -- ripped CDs-- as "folders"???

7. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have to say I have never used SS to rip a CD, all my music is ready ripped in MP3 mostly using Audiograbber which is free from:

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

Which brings me on to the subject of gapless play. - I read of people saying you only get gapless play if encoding in ATRAC but all my MP3 music plays gapless so what is the issue here, is it because I don't rip in SS ?

Must try ripping a CD in SS and see what happens.

8. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    drmoze, have you tried using either the Vaio Music Transfer or MP3 File Manager programs? They might not have as many functions as SonicStage, but if they work that must be a better option that having a completely useless HD5.

Andrew

9. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does Vaio music transfer work with Atrac encoding? MP3FM is not aan option--Atrac encoding wih gapless playback is a MUST.