SonicStage v3.2 UK launch 04/08/05

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KeanosMagicHat, Jul 26, 2005.

1. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    As just confirmed in a telephone conversation with Sony UK.

Get your library backed up in preparation.

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,446
    LOL :D

3. orb_cz

orb_cz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SonicStage 3.2 is already up in english :clap: . I just installed it and it works great, and there are great new features

F1Rick from Audio T-Board Posted the Link in http://www.audiotstation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28707

4. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    It is indeed available in English language as per this earlier thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229372

I was just pointing out (for the benefit of those that may prefer to wait) that the official launch from Sony UK is 4th August from which date I would assume the link will be available on the UK site.

:smashin:

5. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I can also confirm that this link will not remove Connect UK version from the installation, therefore I cannot see any difference to the 'official' UK version due to be released.

Notable additions are a whole load of new bit rates (inc 192kps support on HDD players I think), no DRM option for ripped CDs and multiple uploading from Hi-MD.

6. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Quick question please.

Are you able to remove the DRM on tracks that you have already uploaded from your own CD's in v3.1 within this new version?

7. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    This does not appear to be possible unfortunately.

8. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Thought that would be too good to be true.

No way I'm gonna re-rip my whole library again though :rolleyes:

Just have to hope I have no further problems.

9. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ye I know what you mean. I've been debating whether to rip everything into WMA lossless once and then re-encode in SS. Don't have enough HDD space at the moment to do that.
    So for the moment I've decided to rip my CD collection again but I'm in no rush to complete this.

10. aund

aund
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read in other threads that if you install the new version of SS that there is a good chance that the HD3 i use willl not recognise it and other complicated frustrations occur. Do you have to re record everything again if you want to use the new version? I have just re recored 400 CDs as originallly I converted them at 64kpbs and I decided that 256 sounded much better and I dont want to do it (ever) AGAIN.
    I woulld be grateful for any advice as the whole thing is new to me.
    Thanks
    AUND

11. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Forgive me if I'm wrong here - I don't own a HDD unit - but am familiar with SS and DRM etc with my Hi-MD and NetMd units, there is a possibility that you will have to re-initialise your HD3, however if all the tracks are on you computer this won't be an issue as you can simply transfer them back onto the player. I think people who have been caught out are those that transfer tracks and then delete them from their computer.
    Therefore it is highly unlikely that you will have re-rip any Cds; having said that I would recommend backing up your collection using the SS back up tool before doing the upgrade.
    In my experience (installed and upgraded from SS 1.5 up each update on 2 PCs without a single issue) it is unlikely that anything will go wrong but with 400 Cds!

12. mrflabby

mrflabby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When is the copy protection added to file? Is it when you rip a cd or when you transfer it to the player?

What about importing files? When is the protection added?

I'm a bit confused about the whole thing.

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - virgin poster here.

Thanks for the lead on SS 3.2. Just installed it, and early signs are good. Recognised my HD5H no sweat, transfers existing tracks to and from (without having to initialise unit OR use back-up tool!) - and yes, lots of new bit rates to encode in, plus DRM removal (thank you, Sony!!).

Have - somewhat annoyingly - got 2348 tracks with DRM on player/PC, but at least now I can leave it off my remaining 300+ CDs (yes, I have a LARGE collection!).

Again, big thanks :thumbsup:

14. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Not sure about MP3 files as I store all my tunes in ATRAC format.

When you rip the CD in ATRAC format (in versions prior to SS v3.2) DRM is automatically enabled in the resulting ATRAC file.

If you convert an existing MP3 to ATRAC then DRM is added during the conversion process.

In the new version v3.2 you get the choice prior to Rip / conversion as to whether you wish DRM enabled.

Can't speak with any authority as to how straight MP3 files are handled so I'll pass that over to someone else.

Oh and shadowritten it might make you feel a little better to know that I have almost 4,000 ATRAC tracks already in my library (having ripped them for a second time :mad: ) all with DRM.

There's always someone worse off huh ..... ;)

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just tested SS 3.2 with its first CD rip (Mendelssohn Violin Concerto; which, incidentally, needs to be played back gaplessly - thank God for ATRAC!). First time out, SS makes you tick to understand you mustn't do anything illegal if you decide against DRM. After that, you just rip and go.

All I now need is to see if a file can indeed be transferred between players/PCs with impunity. In the interests of consumer testing, you appreciate, not anything dodgy - I'm happy to PAY for my CDs!

16. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've downloaded the SonicStageInstaller file to test SonicStage while I'm waiting for my new HD5. I've noticed that the installer is just a 768K file and the full program is downloaded during the installation.

But how can I install SonicStage to a PC without an Internet connection?

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think that's possible - the whole program comes down the phoneline. Took me 20-25 mins last night on a 1mb broadband connection to get SS 3.2 downloaded and installed, but well worth it!

18. 00412

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone help. I keep trying to download sonicstage 3.0 from the Sony website. It appears that it is loading. It says that it is uninstalling my old sonic music. It then says computer will now restart. When it restarts I have no sonic 2.3 and no new Sonic. Any ideas?

19. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks shadowritten. The problem is that I don't have an Internet connection available at home. So I don't know how I will install it. :(

My only solution will be to use my HD5 at the office.

20. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When you buy the HD5 it will come with a CD with the full install of SonicStage on it. However, it will probably be version 3.1. If you want upgrades, you'll need to download them in the future.

21. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. That's what I though. But the new features in the 3.2 version are very interesting. BTW I've installed it on my office PC and it doesn't seem as bad as I've heard.

I hope Sony releases a full install file that doesn't need an Internet connection. This way I can download it and install on any PC without Internet connection.

22. Grey Area

Grey Area

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sonic Stage-installer/downloader usually leaves the installation files that it downloads from Sony in some temporary directory (C:\Windows\Temp, for example). You might want to look for them on your office PC, should be a big bunch of setup.exe´s and various *.cab files. When you find them, you should be able to transport them to your home PC and start them from there. At least this worked with previous versions. If you are more patient there is probably a chance that the Minidisc Community Forum will prepare a full installer like they did for SS 3.1.

Björn

23. Dreamboy

Dreamboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks good news. Thanks for the info Grey Area. :)

24. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
  25. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    OK as we discovered Sony Europe were just teasing us with the download link.

Japan have had v3.2 officially for about a week now and, as of yesterday, the US got it as well !!!

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=&upd_id=1468&os_id=3,4,6,7,16&mdl=NWHD3

I called Sony's customer centre and unlike last week when they gave tomorrow's date this time they were totally uncommital.

Come on Sony Europe ..... get your finger out !!!!

26. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least we can still get it from elsewhere though, eh?

27. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    This is true but having experienced problems with Sony support in the past I, personally, wanted to wait for the official launch - just so they don't have any excuses should something go awry.

If I don't I can just imagine having an issue and Sony saying, "Well this is unsupported as v3.2 is not officially out yet ...... sorry".

Probably being over cautious but ......

28. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it consoles you any, been running the 'unofficial' version for about 3 weeks without any problems (he says, foolishly ...)

29. MRussell

MRussell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually reverted to 3.1 last night having suffered problems transfering tracks from my PC to my HD5H since installing 3.2. It would basically get to 99% complete and then stay there for ages. That wasn't too bad as it would finish eventually, however the other night it only got to 78% and didn't seem to want to finish ever (and SS locks up so you can't cancel download)!

Gave it a quick try after going back to 3.1 and seemed OK again but I should point out that I've just posted that HD5H back to Amazon as the LCD has lost two rows of pixels. It was also getting rather warm when connected to USB, the disk was making clicking noises, which whenever I've heard on PC disks has always been fatal (eventually), and the battery indicator went down considerably faster than the previous HD5 one did. So it may have been nothing to do with SS3.2. I'll find out tonight with the replacemen HD5H I just received.

30. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    OK Update people - the official advice from a person of seniority at Sony is NOT to upgrade at the moment as they are making a couple of tweaks / improvements for the European version.

But for those that have downloaded already don't worry as none of the tweaks are critical and those with the software already should not have any major issues.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that as I had suspected, however, Sony UK will not officially support v3.2 until after launch so the call centre is not taking calls on the subject.

Guess this place is your best source of help until then ..... and after probably ;)

The tweaks mentioned above have delayed the official European launch - hence the reason why the link is not up yet on the Sony Europe support site.