1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SonicStage v3.2 European Launch - at last - link here

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KeanosMagicHat, Sep 1, 2005.

1. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    SonicStage v3.2 has at last been launched officially in Europe.

I have installed it myself seemingly without problems in that My Library from v3.1 appears to be intact and playable at first glance.

Major advantages as I understand it are the ability to rip in higher ATRAC3plus bitrates and, more importantly, to store tracks without DRM allowing you more freedom with your music.

(I'm sure others who have had more experience with the software will outline further advantages and correct me if anything I have said above is misleading).

Sony recommends using the SonicStage backup tool to make a full backup of your library before you upgrade.

I back mine up to an external drive.

Anyway, here's the link ....

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/NWHDD/nwHDD.asp?l=en

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    EDIT - I've managed to answer my own questions in BOLD below.

Hope others find this useful.

Just thought I'd take the opportunity to ask a few questions as a new installer to the more experienced SonicStage v3.2 users that we have on the board.

Seems appropriate to ask them on this thread as perhaps others who have just installed will have the same queries.

1) The first is a question on ATRAC3plus file sizes.

Are they linear? I currently rip all my music to ATRAC3plus 64K but I realise that there is now the option of 192K.

Are 192K files exactly 3 times larger than 64K files, is that how it works?

Answer - Yes they are so a CD ripped in ATRAC3plus 64K will be roughly 36MB and a CD ripped in ATRAC3plus 192K will be 109MB on average.

If the answer is, "Yes" then I'll stick with 64K but now DRM-less :smashin: as I've already used 10GB of my 30GB so if I convert all the files to 192K then I'm outta space.

This being the case hopefully Sony will soon release a firmware upgrade to allow support of ATRAC3plus 96K.

2) Speaking of converting files.

I was thinking of taking the tracks already in "My Library" and using the convert file option. As I'm anticipating that the answer to question 1 is "Yes" I would not want to change the format from ATRAC3plus 64K but I am hoping that if I do the conversion and blank out the checkbox for "Copy Protection" that the existing files will be re-converted without DRM.

If it works the advantage would be that I could convert them in batches unattended which would be superb.

Has anyone tried this before I go off and mess about please?

Answer - Just tried this on a single track and IT WORKED !!!! (Well sort of) The track was converted, as per the attached pic, but I had to then manually delete the original file. I will check to see if there is an option to automatically delete the original as without this it could be a long process. Anyone aware if such an option is available please?

Since typing the above I have now converted a whole album and found that if you go into the track properties afterward to delete the original file you can at least click the "Next" button in the bottom left to take you to the next file on the album. This speeds the process a little but it would still be better were it automatic. Anyone?

3) Could someone confirm for me please all of the ATRAC3plus bitrates which currently work with the NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H?

96K would suit me perfectly but it is not supported yet as I understand it.

Answer - I tried ripping a track at 96K and transferring it to the NW-HD5H. Upon transfer a box came up telling me that 96K was not supported and asked me to choose an alternative - pic attached. The ATRAC3plus bitrates available were 48K, 64K, 192K and 256K.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Just in time for my shiny new PSP I picked up this morning

4. Lobby

Lobby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a site to download the entire install? My PC at home doesn't have broadband (we live in the sticks) but it does at work so I can burn it to a CD. I know its only 34M or something but I'd rather not get it over dial up.

5. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I don't believe there is an official link.

SonicStage v3.1 was the same when I downloaded it.

Sometimes you come across a clever individual who has manually created an install package from the Sony files.

I believe they have done this for previous versions on the forum below

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showforum=62

So try there you might be lucky.

6. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to clearify, is it true that when u update file info on sonic stage, it doesnt automatically update the files on ur hd5 without u deleting them off the player and then updating?

7. henofdoom

henofdoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why the hell doesn't it let u transfer to a HD5 in 96k. For that matter, I tried transfering a 192k album and sonicstage froze right at the end... (how surprising)

8. scottydog

scottydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is true updated stuff in SS will not automatically transfer to your player.
    It will add extra tracks to a compilation but will not change tracks already there. You need to delete and transfer again.

9. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Was this only announced yesterday?

Pretty sure i downloaded 3.2 a few weeks back

EDIT: Just checked my version and its 3.2.00.06071

Downloaded that a few weeks ago from the sonicstage website ;)

10. *baggie*

*baggie*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody told me you have to initialise an HD3 when you instal Sonicstage 3.2. And transfer your whole damn library yet again. Just for fun I suppose.

11. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    It was released in Japan at the end of July and the U.S. about 10 days later (both versions available with English language).

You must have downloaded one of these, as did a few members of this forum.

The official European launch was yesterday with the availability of the link above.

It was 4th time lucky as Sony had 3 previous aborted links before this one.

12. scottydog

scottydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't have to do any of that. Apart from some music from my laptop system being transfered in to SS it went without a hitch. Just as well as I only keep music I download in SS. I usually delete CD's after transfer to the HD3

13. aitchjv

aitchjv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this true? I have a tiny hard drive so always delted the files after i have transferred them. I'm not ripping my cds again!

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Nope I've never had to initialise my HD3....and I've updated SS what 3 times now, since it came with 2.1

You lot may just be clicking wrong places or my PCs special

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Find this interesting in the notes for the European Version of 3.2 ...

Track information such as music title, artist name, genre, album title on copy protected discs being released by SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT copied onto computer cannot be edited.

Now, this isn't the case with the (I think) Asian version I downloaded via a link from this site a while back. I have discs by Sony BMG Music Entertainment, and I can edit their track info to my heart's content. And I can use (and have done) Connect Europe with my version. So I'd advise anyone thinking about switching to this 'official' Euro version to think carefully ...

EDIT: Just tested my Connect account again to be sure, and yep, my version of SS 3.2 still allows downloads, no sweat.

If it helps, here's the info on my version:

SonicStage : 3.2.00.06071
    SonicStage Add-on for Personal Audio Upgrade : 3.2.00.06030
    OpenMG Secure Module : 4.2.00.06070
    MagicGate Memory Stick Device : 4.2.00.06070
    NW-E2, NW-E3, NW-E5 and NW-E8P : 4.2.00.06070
    OpenMG CD : 4.2.00.06070
    M.S. PRO : 4.2.00.06070
    CD Walkman : 4.2.00.06070
    Hi-MD : 4.2.00.06070
    Music Clip, NW-S4, NW-E7 and NW-E10 : 4.2.00.06070
    HDWM : 4.2.00.06070
    Net MD : 4.2.00.06070
    EMD Plug-in: 1.2.0.9
    CD-R Writing Module(Audio CD/ATRAC CD/MP3 CD) : 3.2.00.06030
    Px Engine: 2.2.50.500

16. *baggie*

*baggie*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it really means it. I have reinstalled Sonicstage 3.2 and its still asking me to initialise my hd3. Could be big problems for those who dont keep their ripped CDs in the SS database. I am going back to 3.1.

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an HD5H owner, I can confirm I wasn't asked to initialise my player after installing 3.2 over 3.1. I was simply asked to authenticate my database over the internet ... nothing more harmful than that ...

18. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with the new software can u transfer music from the player to a pc? when u switch the drm off?

19. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not as far as I know. 'Transfer back' is cunning Sony shorthand for 'delete from player altogether'!

20. Irwelvis

Irwelvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having loaded SonicStage for Connect (Europe) 3.2.00.06071. for use with my NW HD3.
    I'm currently getting the message:
    "The Connected ATRAC Audio Devise must be initialized to be used with the currently installed SonicStage"
    and as a result can't transfer files. Anyone got any idea how to fix this without losing everything I've already loaded on the player? Or any useful comment other than "I didn't have this problem?"