1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonicstage restore - invalid rights management???

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by joebloggs44, Sep 11, 2005.

1. joebloggs44

joebloggs44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help please!!! I backed up my library using Sonic Stage backup tool to an external hard drive. I needed to reformat my PC, which I did, and then restored my music files using Sonic Stage back up tool.

Trouble is now I get the message 'There is invalid rights management information in the OpenMG content'. I have not downloaded any music only copied in my own CDs.

I really don't want to spend another few days reloading my library (nearly 20gb). If I can't get this to work I am ditching Sony altogether - I have had enough at this stage...

Is there any way round this???? :lease:

2. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry I don't know if there is a solution to your problem but I thought I'd just say that, wary of Sony's restrictive practices and to avoid any such problems, I have all my music safely stored in MP3 format on both my home PC and on a 2.5" portable HD from where I can just transfer it to my HD5 with SS at will. I need the portable drive because I travel a lot and need to to transfer via a laptop.

Although I have never done it and have no need to, backing up from the player with SS device seems to be a hugely chancey business as you appear to have discovered. I believe SS keeps it's information in the Windows registry which is why a reformat, or even a System Restore, can spoil your day!

If you do have your music stored elsewhere it should only take an hour or 2 to reload, not "a few days".

3. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like by 'restore' he means reripping his cd collection. Mine would take more than a few days.

In SS, be sure to NOT ad copy protection when ripping your own CDs. (It's an option under Tools.)

Also, it could be for him (as it is for me) that the Atrac format is used because playback is gapless. I am not bothering with mp3's because of the gaps, so I'm stuck with SS for ripping.

4. joebloggs44

joebloggs44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kinel,
    I could store my music in MP3 but I found

a) takes up much more space that ATRAC3
    b) MP3 doesn't sound as good as ATRAC3 on my NW-HD3

I'm not happy about this at all! Do you know if Sony have any kind of helpline? I can't find one anywhere...

:lease: