1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SonicStage question???

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by pilaar39, Jun 18, 2005.

1. pilaar39

pilaar39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I got my Sony NW-HD1, it came with SonicStage 2.3. I used this to transfer audio files to my player. Although I was transferring MP3 files, the transfer to the player was actuallly in Atrac3 format; the conversion put copies of all my MP3 files in OMA format in my All Users/Sonicstage/Packages directory on my system. So, in essence, I ended up with two copies of each file: one MP3 and one OMA. After backing up the MP3 files to CD, I deleted them from my system, leaving only the OMA copies.

Last week I upgraded my player to play MP3 files directly. Although I was told that I would need to backup and restore my music because the upgrade would reformat my HD, this was not the case, and the HD was still intact.

However, I checked the Sony site and saw that a newer version of SonicStage was available: 3.1. So, I dowloaded and installed it.

Then, to my surprise, it would not recognize my player, and told me I had to initialize it to use this new version. Since I thought I had all my files backed up in OMA format (I had deleted the original MP3 files), I initialized the HD.

Then proceded to transfer back all my music. And it all seemed to work ok, except there were some missing files for some reason. No problem, I had the original MP3 files backed up on CDs. Copied the missing files over to a empty folder on my desktop, then imported them into SonicStage.

Then transferred them over to the HD1. This is where my problems and confusion begins:::

The MP3 files were transferred directly to the HD1.. no conversion to Atrac3 and none copied as OMA files into the directory with the others. I had wanted to keep all the same format (OMA), but could not find anywhere in the new SonicStage 3.1 software to convert to Atrac3 before transferring.

I had wanted to delete the temp folder of MP3 files, but since they were not converted, I am hesitant.

Is there no way of converting to Atrac3 once the mp3 firmware upgrade is installed and SS v3.1 is used?

Secondly, when using SonicStage, I cannot seem to sort the listing of files on my HD1. The files seem to be listed in the same order they were transferred. This makes it difficult to compare what's on my HD1 with what is on my computer. I can sort my library by clicking on the column headings, but cannot do this for the list of files on my HD1. Any suggestions?

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    check tools, then there should be a file conversion and/or transfer option somewhere. Also on PC/HD1/3/5 transfer screen, in the middle there should be something like transfer options

to make albums appear in same order as on SS libary instead of order transferred: with player connected go to it. Should see list of albums/groups on it. You can add albums as well as take albums off your player. You can also manually use your mouse to drag albums to position you want. tedious I know

3. pilaar39

pilaar39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, after doing some more digging, I think I found part of my answer.

Yes, there are options to control the conversion during transfer, but they only convert down, not up. In my case, I was transferring some audiobook mp3 files that were at a bitrate of 48. If the file is less than the selected conversion bitrate selected during transfer, no conversion takes place.. the files are transfered as is. (in my case, I had selected 66 kbps(Atrac3), so nothing changed)

However, I did manage to convert some higher bit rate songs (128) to Atrac3 but at a bitrate of 66 kbps! This is odd, because prior to upgrading, all my files were converted at Atra3Plus at 64 kbps.

The only conversion bitrate options I see avaliable now in SS 3.1 are:
    256 kbps
    132 kbps(Atrac3)
    105 kpbs(Atrac3)
    66 kbps(Atrac3)
    64 kbps
    48 kbps

There are no Atrac3Plus bitrates to select from, Yet that is the rate that was used by default with SS 2.3

Secondly, under SS 2.3, all my OMA converted files were stored neatly in folders with the album name, and were stored in the Sonicstage/Packages folder. Now with 3.1, all converted files are dumped into one new folder called Optimized Files! Ugh.. what a mess!

4. pilaar39

pilaar39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok.. a little experimentation solved this problem. It seems that the bitrate of 64 is actually Atrac3Plus, even though it does not specifically say this. I am assuming the other bitrates that do not say Atrac3, are also Atrac3Plus.

Furthermore, as stated earlier, if the original mp3 file is lower than 64, then the conversion does not take place, and the mp3 file is transferred as is.