1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SonicStage: Problems with Copy Controll!!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tjdewalt, Jul 27, 2005.

1. tjdewalt

tjdewalt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had trouble copying a cd (Coldplay's X&Y) to SonicStage. Although I have the original version, it will not transfer! I have tried copying it to Media Player first and then use "import files" but that failed as well...
    Any idea on how to rip this cd?

I guess that if I did not have the original version, this would not have been a problem!!!??? :suicide:

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, this is a problem I've overcome thus:

Download Exact Audio Copy (Google it), and LAME mp3 encoder, unless this is already on your system. Set it all up, then rip from X & Y in either WAV format or 320kbps mp3 using Exact Audio Copy. Import the resulting files into SonicStage, tag 'em up, and transfer 'em. Job done!

Travis' 12 Memories album has the same problems ... which is ironic, seeing as it's parent label is Sony Music!! But Exact Audio Copy has yet to fail me on any audio CD - possibly because it was designed for non-commercial use by someone who cares about digital music. It also does exactly what it says on the box: makes EXACT copies of your CDs when using WAV format.

BTW, if you're using SS 3.1, try the link on this forum to the newer 3.2 version - lets you choose to leave off DRM (copy protection). Just install it over 3.1 - at least, that's what I've done, without any problems so far ...

3. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my HD5, my first mp3 player, for a month, and in that short time have become well acquainted with the issue of copy protection.

My observations:

If you just load a protected CD into your PC, then the embedded software will load and, I assume, remain on your PC until the end of time. This is likely to thwart any future attempts to copy that particular CD.

I have found that ALWAYS pressing the shift key for about 10 seconds as the copy-protected CD slides into the PC for the first time disables the "autoplay" feature of the PC, and it should sit, static, in the machine. At this point, try using either Quicktime 10 or Mediaplayer 10 to rip the CD. Afterwards, you can use Sonicstage to convert the file into mp3 or ATRAC.

As a last resort, if the protection is too solid to allow ripping with these programs, I use CDex.exe to rip, which never fails but has the twin flaws of being extremely slow to rip, and leaving most of the tracks with Jitter errors (split-second silent patches in the music).

I must say that protection is extremely annoying to those of us who are law-abiding individuals who simply want to rip our own CDs for our own use on our own MP3 players. It does kind of make you feel that the record companies (remember that Sony owns record labels as well as the hardware brand) are intent on beating most of their consumers with very big sticks.

A very timely article on the BBC website today http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4718249.stm kind of touches on the issue, although being slightly off-topic in this forum, the sentiment is very appropriate: we are the innovative consumers who should be respected, not insulted.

4. Grey Area

Grey Area

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you set "Ripping Method" to "Paranoia, Full" in the CD-Drive-section of the options menu? CDex never produces any errors for me that way; in fact, from what I´ve read so far it is usually the recommended program for scratched and/or tricky CDs because of its thorough (but slow) error detection/prevention.

Björn

5. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha - you sound like an experienced cdex user... I've had a delve through this forum and it seems like there are plenty of others who love it, but I'm obviously doing something wrong because it takes virtually all day to rip a CD with cdex.

No, I did not have it set to Paranoia - but I have now, and the jitters are virtually gone. However, it's still as slow. What should the settings be?

Mine are:
    CD DRIVE TAB: Read Sectors - 20; CD Speed - 32
    ENCODER TAB: Thread priority - Highest; Version - MPEG1; Bitrate Min - 128 kbps; Quality - Normal q=5; VBR Method - Disabled; Output Samplerate - 44100

...which is all meaningless to me and may as well be in hieroglyphs.

6. tjdewalt

tjdewalt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys!
    First I ripped the CD with Media Player, but i did not find the imported files (stupid me). Then I used CDEX, and it worked great!!!
    After ripping the files to WAV, i converted them to ATRAC PLUS and everything is working just fine!

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you know, there are 2 versions of X&Y in circulation - I bought the copy control-free version today at Woolworths.