1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SonicStage Music Library - porting to new PC?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KeanosMagicHat, May 19, 2005.

1. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Has anyone had any experience of moving their SonicStage music library to a new PC (having upgraded from their previous machine)?

A friend of mine (ipod owner obviously) has told me that it isn't possible and that you have to start from scratch loading all of your CD's again.

Just wondering if anyone has done this yet and can confirm he's talking rubbish?

I would imagine you have to use the SonicStage backup tool.

Cheers.

2. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    yes you can. However, you need to use the back up utility to copy all your music onto external media/another hard drive. The onl your new computer, you intall SS and run the back up facility to restore your music from the external media/HDD.
    I have had to do this and it works fine. The only thing to be aware of is that you have to be online to restore the back up. Also if possible use the latest version of SS (3.1 is current, 3.0 will also do) because based on experience the old versions of SS used to take hours to back the music up, but the latest version doesn't take long at all. Don't be shocked if you look at the back up files, SS will create a new folder for every music file you have and rename it, however, all will return to normal after you restore.
    For more info look at the help files in SS

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Sorry to be a pain but I am thinking of upgrading my PC soon and already have 500+ albums in my library hence the question arising.

Please could you confirm?

1) You can definitely backup your library on the old PC using the SonicStage backup tool and restore it (as long as you are online when you do) to the new computer. You have already done this successfully?

2) Do you also need to be online when you perform the backup from the old computer?

3) I have a LaCie USB mobile hard drive, is this appropriate for the backup?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

4. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    1.) yes
    2) no
    3) Provided it has enough space to fit all the files then yes it should be fine. SS calculates the space needed at the start of the process. Backing up does not affect the host computer in any way. In other words you can back all your music up and then delete the back up and all your original file will be left alone.

If you have the advantage of having your old computer available for a while after you have your new one then you will be able to 'try again' if anything was to go wrong; but nothing should go wrong. If space is a problem (on the external drive) and again you have the 2 computers available at the same time, try networking them and using a partition on the new computer as a location to do the back up, then restore on the new computer from this partition

5. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    That's excellent news a weight off my mind.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

I had never seen the question asked or answered before so I appreciate it.

Cheers.

6. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    BTTT - Question asked by another user.

For anyone that uses this method, please let me know how you get on.

Cheers.

7. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, this method is spot-on - even with a couple of added complexities:

I backed-up my SS 3.0 library to a folder on my PC's desktop, moved it to a shared folder, a guy on a on Mac on the other side of the office burnt it to disk (as I don't have a burner), I took it home to the new PC (running 3.1) and it loaded up no problem.

Thanks to all for your help.

That said, being cynical, I haven't tried to use the library on the new PC yet... so watch this space !

8. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    So .... did it work?