1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SonicStage file conversion

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sacd, Jan 5, 2005.

1. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I am trying to convert all my MP3's into atrac using SonicStage.
    I have no trouble converting them (although it does take an awfull long time!) But I am having trouble getting the software to transfer the converted atrac file onto my HD3.
    It keeps on transfering the MP3 version!!
    Any thoughts anyone?

2. shelbob

shelbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i am having the exact same trouble only just bought my hd3 but have converted them all to atrac but when transfering them no matter what i change the transfer mode to it stays as mp2-any clues??

3. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem, and the answer I can give you is: go to the properties of the song in my library and then you see that you can choose between mp3 and atrac3... well you can also delete them. Then delete the mp3 file of the track and keep the atrac3 version of the file. when you ask sonicstage to transfer the track or the album, it only finds the atrac3 file and transfers it. It´s been the only way I´ve found.

One more thing and VERY IMPORTANT!!! Before transfering your mp3 files on your computer to the library, make a copy of them and use this copy to take them, cause when you delete from properties the mp3 version of the file you are deleting the file, actually... so be carefull...

If somebody finds another way...

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Firstly, I really wouldn't bother converting to atrac because the player plays mp3s and you are just compressing the file further if you convert it to atrac.

However, if you do wish to have only atrac3 files on your player you can change in the settings on the transfer page so it converts all files before transfer. Then you should be left with atrac3 files on your player.

It is worth noting that when you do this, the atrac3 files are saved in your music folder (whatever folder you have selected to rip music to), in a sub-folder called "optimized files". It is worth then deleting these because otherwise they take up memory on your pc hard drive, as essentially you have two copys of the same song (mp3 + atrac3). Hope this makes sense!

5. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Get hold of a copy of Sonic Stage 3 and then you can tell it to convert the file as it transferes it across.

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You can do that with any version of SonicStage.

7. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a few problems and managed to delete the mp3 copy - I had a back up.
    I found the most foolproof way was as follows (and is probably duplicating info already given but hey!):

1. Import mp3 to SS (track in SS as MP3)
    2. Convert mp3 to ATRAC (track in SS as MP3 and ATRAC)
    3. Delete the track from SS - but DO NOT remove from computer (track not in SS in any format)
    4. Import ATRAC track from Optimised Files folder in SS (track in SS as ATRAC)

I'm sure that if I had thought about it, then SS could have sorted this out for me, but probably 95% of my music is ripped into Atrac from the CD so if really wasn't too much hassle to do this for the handful of mp3 albums I wanted.

8. shelbob

shelbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    going into properties and deleting each track is to much hastle and sonic stage 2.3 doesnt transfer as they go across< i have just downloaded ss3 and its all good! it compresses them as they go across and this is handy when you have almost 5000 tunes on your hard drive takes some time but easyer than ss2.3

9. ilindsay

ilindsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest, what's the point of converting mp3 to atrac?

The player will play the mp3 file. No need to convert. Nothing to be gained by converting, surely? :confused:

10. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All of my music collection is ripped at 320kbs which takes up too much space on my hd3. If I can convert my music to atrac 135 I can save space.

11. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because only atrac3 files can use Sound EQ and V-SUR.

12. shelbob

shelbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

so you can fit more than 5000 songs on?!

13. shiveringgoat

shiveringgoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know how to clear 'My Library' from Sonicstage 3 ? - I can't seem to find any way to do it other than each track individually :(

HELP!

Thanks

Goat:)

14. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

View all of the songs in front of you. Click on the top one, hold shift and click on the bottom one. Then press delete! Just make sure the box isn't ticked so it deletes them from the hard drive as welll. No matter if it does though; they will be in the recycle bin.

15. shiveringgoat

shiveringgoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BINGO !!

Thanks so much :):):)

Sonicstage 3 seems to be more stable than 2.3 anyway:)

I think I am going to use MP3 at 192 instead of Atrac (Atcrap!) as it still sounds good but takes up less space:)

Goat:)