1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SonicStage crashes all the time. Help.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by squatpump, Apr 5, 2005.

1. squatpump

squatpump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I've got a Windows 2000 Pro PC with SonicStage 2.3 on it. I bought the NW-HD1 for my girlfriend as a birthday present a month ago, and it hasn't worked properly since - well, the HD1 works fine, but since SonicStage refuses to do ANYTHING, I may as well have burnt my 200 quid.

I've read about the win2k problem and downloaded the patch from the microsoft site, but it hasn't made any difference: SS goes thru the splash screen stage, and looks like it's starting up, but then just disappears. Sometimes, if it's feeling cheeky, it also freezes everything else I've got running. It's plugged into a USB socket on the motherboard, not a hub.

The version in the box when it arrived was 2.1, which converted about 8 of my 400-odd albums, and then crashed. I upgraded to 2.3 hoping this might sort it out, and it hasn't worked since.

I'm getting exasperated, but Sony have the crappiest website I've ever seen (and from other posts here, aren't particularly interested in helping people out anyway), and there doesn't seem to be any way of emailing them. Does anyone have any clue about what I might be doing wrong? I'm not bothered about playing MP3s directly or anything, I just want the damn thing to work. Help!

Nick

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Have you tried version 3 ?

3. squatpump

squatpump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not yet - given what happened when I upgraded to 2.3, I've been reluctant to... and I had a look for it on sony.co.uk and sony.net, but it seemed impossible to find anyway. But since only Sony software will work with the HD1 I suppose I've got no other option - if you say it's worth it I'll give it a go. Do you have a link to it anywhere, or any suggestions what I was doing wrong on their most marvellous sites?

N

4. toots

toots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problems (running Win98SE) - splash screen then freeze and crashing other applications. I downloaded v3.0 from the US support site and it worked with no problems BUT Sony don't support v3.0 for Europe.

5. squatpump

squatpump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta love 'em. I'll try v3 and hopefully that'll sort it out...

Cheers all

N

6. squatpump

squatpump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK.... I've installed SonicPoo v3, and it goes through the splash screen as before, then then displays this - for a split second before disappearing...

http://www.rainjam.com/junk/sonicsh*te.jpg

It only appears for a flash - so quickly that it took me several goes to screen capture this.

Before I don an enormous glove and go and give Sony a well-deserved slap, does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

7. squatpump

squatpump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And don't get me started on the MP3 conversion thing, either...

[​IMG]