1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonicstage and Copy Protection

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by russ123, Jul 4, 2005.

1. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Got the 30gb HD5 from Stone Audio over the weekend and pleased with it so far :thumbsup: One small problem though - I could not get Sonicstage to import a couple of copy protected cds (Coldplay X&Y and Blue Nile High). These are original discs. Anyone know a way around this???

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    You could try ripping them in iTunes first (assuming you have XP or W2K).

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
  4. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Or rip them using windows media player, then importing them into sonicstage....... works for me (as I've not got an Ipod)

5. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    or use cdex (free also) very good freeware

6. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erm, if they are copy protected then the CD drive generally will not recongize them. So it don't matter what software you try.

Still i'm sure the wil be a way, no idea how though

7. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noooooooo - not true - use Easy CD-DA Extractor (http://www.poikosoft.com) and all your problems will dissapear.

If you simply insert CD's and let windows autoplay take over, then you will have all sorts of issues, but i have never, ever, ever been defeated by a Copy protected CD whilst using Easy CD-DA Extractor.

I have ripp......., ahem, "made backup copies for personal use" of plenty of CD's which have different types of copy protection. It lets you extract the audio tracks, without also extracting the copy protection system.

The help file supplied with Easy CD-DA Extractor even has an extensive section explaining how different copy protection systems work and how to bypass them with the program.

8. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( My statment is ture.

----- Until you find a way around it!. The software is what allows you to bypass the problem.

I have NOT said it cannot be done as i said "generally" & "I have not idea how"

However, sounds like a useful programme. Cheers :clap:

9. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This was mentioned in another post not long ago but there are two things that you can try (based on a windows set-up).

If when you put the CD in the drive sounds like its struggling to get anywhere, hold down the 'shift' button which will stop the autoplay.

Or if when you start the CD you get the message about 'Files need to be updated on your system in order for the CD to play properly' don't press 'Ok' select 'Cancel'

After that you can just use SonicStage in the normal way to rip the CD.

These aren't guaranteed to work, but they have done for me, including the X&Y CD mentioned by the original poster.

10. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, i think we are both aiming in the same direction. As a follow-up, here is the "Help" section from Easy CD-DA Extractor that covers copy protection problems - it makes for interesting reading:

"Copy Protected CD's
    Easy CD-DA Extractor can copy so called "Copy Protected" CD's. The "Copy Protected CD" means that the manufacturer of the CD has mangled the CD so that it cannot be read on computers. They usually add a fake data session to the end of discs, so when the CD is put into the CD/DVD-drive of a computer, the contents of the disc is shown as data not audio.

The ability of copying "Copy Protected" CD's also depends of the hardware, so it is possible that your CD/DVD-drive has a problem with these discs. If the hardware has problems, there's not much Easy CD-DA Extractor can do about it.

Easy CD-DA Extractor automatically detects the contents of the Copy Protected CD, but in the case that the auto feature does not seem to work (the tracks are not shown correctly on the main screen or you see only one or more data tracks) you can use the "Read Table Of Contents" menu under "Action" menu. Use "Session Analyze" or "Sub-Code Analyze" to get correct contents of the disc.

If you hear clicks, cracks, or pops in the audio files extracted from a Copy Protected CD, then you have a Copy Protected CD that has intentionally made errors. Record companies intentionally make errors on these discs, so you wouldn't be able to copy them with your computer. In this case, simply set the "Read Mode" in "Options" / "CD-reader Settings" to "Error Recovery & Repair", re-rip the CD, and voilá; you have a perfect copy.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------Some new Copy Protected CD's contain a nasty protection; They install a driver to your computer when you insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive (when autorun is launched). (this behaviour can be compared to a virus)

Record Companies that have used this protection: Sony, Epic (Sony)

The driver is a CD-ROM filter driver that causes problems for CD-ripping applications, the CD-ripping seems to be working fine, but the read data is garbage.

If you wish to copy such a CD, there's three ways to bypass the protection:

Don't let the Windows run the AUTORUN application of the CD by holding down the SHIFT while inserting the CD or disable the Windows autorun permanently.

Delete the driver (cannot write instructions here, since the filename of the driver seem to vary between different CD's)

Start the computer in diagnostic mode (Windows XP): (you can also start Windows in Safe Mode)

Click "Start" / "Run..."

Type msconfig.exe

Choose "Diagnostic Startup"

Click "OK" and restart your computer

Rip the CD

Restore the Normal Startup mode (like in steps 1-3, but choose "Normal Startup");"