1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SonicStage 2.3 Harddrive space issues... Please help!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by danwalton, Apr 1, 2005.

1. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hi all, I have a new HD1 that arrived this morning. I have never used SS before, so I decided to download 2.3 straight away. It is transfering songs to the HD1 no probs, but there is something strange happening with the space displayed on my computer's harddrive. It keeps going down the more I use SS to transfer songs! I began this morning with about 6.3 GB free but now I have tansfered a good selection of songs to my HD1 it now says I have 5.7 GB free. Is SS making copies of my music somewhere? It seems to go down more whenever I transfer more songs, almost as if they are being copied to the HD1 and to my computer's harddrive too. Why is this, and can I stop it because otherwise I'll run out of space at this rate? Also, what happens if I don't 'back-up' through SS My Library if I decide to upgrade to SS 3.0 soon? Do I lose any changes I've made, or worse? Many thanks for all your help! Dan

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes it is.

SS converts all your mp3s/wmas to atrac3 format, but it does not do this on the fly, it saves them in a folder.

I can't remember the exact location though. In SS, go to Tools-Options. I can't remember exactly what I did now, but I copied and pasted one of the locations which you can change (I think it was "location to save imported files" or something) into "Run", which is on the start menu on Windows. Then clicked ok. And all the converted files are there in a folder called "Optimized Files". It is fine to delete them, it just means that were you to need to transfer these songs again then you would have to convert again. I suggest in the options on SS you set this location to a folder on the desktop or something less obscure, so you can delete them more easily in the future. Hope this helps, and makes sense!

3. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Found it! Thanks a lot Mcfarfs :) Seems odd that it does this though really. If I get my HD1 upgraded by Sony (the £15 firmware one), will it still do this, considering I'll be directly transfering MP3 files? Does SS 3.0 copy music files too, or convert on the fly? Thanks again! Dan

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It won't no. Because it will transfer them as mp3s. Not sure bout SS 3.0, but its worth a try! You can download it.

5. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes it can convert on the fly. This is what I was wanting out of SS3 and Sony delivered! Now if we could have a Europe edition sometime soon....

Magic

6. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    that's good news, thank you! I wonder when SS 3.0 will be made available to Europe though? I know all Sony's new players are going to be bundled with it from this month onwards, so it can't be too far away. Can it...?