1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonic T-Amp and other Digital Amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by chito, Apr 4, 2005.

1. chito

chito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to know if anybody here has already one. Other forums are saying that the sonic t-amp priced at less than $30 is a "giant killer" meaning that it's better than many (not all ) thousand dollar priced amplifiers.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    But (there always is a but, isnt' there?):
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

3. chito

chito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. But for less than $30 bucks?

4. teabelly

teabelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've had one for a few weeks now. It is a fantastic little thing. On a 6 ohm load it goes loud enough for me (9 oclock on the volume setting). That is from an arcam cd player which does have a slightly higher than average output. It may not be the epitome of sophisticated sound but it is incredibly listenable and you do find yourself getting lost in the music. With batteries it is very valve like and the treble is supposed to get less harsh after a good 100 hours or so use.

Maplin do a 12v supply (need at least 1200ma) that is suitable. Thinkgeek is the only place to get them at the moment as partsexpress have introduced a minimum order value of $100 on international orders.

5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I know a chap who's bought two (one per speaker) and rates them as better than his Quad power amp.
    Personally I was thinking of buying 3 or 4, and using them as power amps for the centre and rear effects on my next home cinema setup.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Yeah, it's a shame about partsexpress as this was only introduced recently. I tried ordering from them and they wouldn't let me :(

These t-amps aren't the easiest to get hold of although I have seen them on eBay for around £55+p&p.

7. teabelly

teabelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are a few people over on the hifichoice forum wondering about group buys for them. I bet if you bought a couple from partsexpress you'd have no trouble selling them on :)

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    That's true, the problem is all of the logistical headache sorting it out! :D

9. socrates1

socrates1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just ordered one from thinkgeek.com. Total price including shipping to Ireland is $64, approx £35.

10. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I got two from thinkgeek a few weeks ago. Arrived within days !

And they're not bad at all - astonishing for the price.

11. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following the 'rave' review in HiFi World, I ordered this £17.00 digital amp, and it has now arrived. Initial impressions are alarmingly positive - great detail, very musical - but I've not tried it with anything too serious. I want it for portable music, and suspect there is a perfect pair of high efficiency, lightweight speakers out there, but do not know them yet.
    I suspect this may become something of a cult item, and would be very interested in anyone else's experience of it.

Richard

12. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have read alot about it but not had any experiance with it.
    Sound quality largely depends on power source. 13.8v ac power is recommended or a 12v SLA battery for best sound. also speakers play a huge part high sensitivaty is a must 90 or above. I have read things that shock me about how good this thing is comparing it to valve amps provided u keep it below distortion levels which some say is quite loud.

13. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I concur. Bought two from thinkgeek. Shockingly good value for money ... still looking for a pair of sensitive speakers. Something like this, but for less money would be nice :)

14. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have hardly got going in terms of testing it out, but with alkaline batteries, the supplied 3.5mm lead, some not so good NXT speakers, and an iPod, it is shockingly impressive.

HiFi World's report does suggest a 13.8V power supply, but does not list where to get this. Maplins do some 13.5V supplies, but does anyone else have any ideas about an alternative supply. I wondered about one of the Russ Andrews 12V ones.

As for speakers, so far, given my wish for something portable, I am looking at the JBL Control speakers (89dB sensitivity), but again would welcome ideas in the less than $1500 range...

I will also try the amp with a decent uncompressed source.

The danger I also foresee is just buying loads of them, because at that price you can!

Richard

15. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I have a Sonic Impact super T which I am well impressed but I do use it in a small room so oud volume levels arent necessary

16. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I just sold my Teac T-amp in the forums :rolleyes:,
    (A bit of a bargain I thought).
    It used two of the Tri-path chips to provide 3 amplified channels (1 possible channel left unused),
    Mains powered, it also had a lot more power than Sonic Impact - 3 x 30w/ch.

It could certainly go louder than I would ever want, although my speakers are quite sensitive.

The only thing against it was that the bass seemed a bit looser and slightly bloated compared with what I'm used to (probably only noticed when using full range speakers),
    And it ran a warmer than my current amp - I like my stuff to stay cool :cool:.
    Well worth an audition:),

Paul.

17. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    moving to Hifi Separates

18. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I bought mine in tandem with a pair of TBI Diamonds which are very small and even though they are only 87dbs the combination sounds great with a sub of course ( BK electronics). The speakers are American and what i like about them is that are not room fussy at all. In fact I have them sited on a sheliving unit with all cables well hidden=unobstrusive.The amp looks like it was a made in a toy factory, just 6"high x2"wide Minimalist to an extreme with no selector just a volume control and on/ off( in fact as it has only one pair of inputs I had to buy a seperate selector box) but for me it does the biz.
    My feeling is the class T ( digital)will become the dominant type of amplification as they are so efficient, light and small.they will be used more and more in samll electronic devices such as phones ,radios, tvs , car audio as well as AV

19. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Wow, someone's resurrected a seriously old thread. Seems I replied to this in 2005.
    Either way, since then I've owned a couple of Sonic-Ts and have heard some modded units.

I tried one in my system last year, comparing it to a Naim 82/hicap/200. Frankly the Sonic-T was simply rubbish in comparison, but then what else would you expect when it costs roughly 1/300th of new price. The comments about "capable of matching £1000 amps" were probably written by people who've little or not experience with higher end gear.

Having said all of that, it's probably very good FOR THE MONEY. I have heard a set of modded units. The problem is that to mod them well requires new casing, power supplies etc, meaning that you're pushing the price up quite a lot, and which point you're competing against substantially better gear.

Lets just say that I sold mine on.

As for digital amps in general, I have a Bel Canto unit using Tripath digital chips, and have yet to hear anything I'd prefer to it, with the exception of a better unit from BC, or a £16k Wavac that I recently dem'd.

20. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    At the moment there dosnt appear to be much choice in the class t domain lots of kits the sonic t and aferwew high enbd ones. My belief is thast ist should be possbe to make a seriuosly good class t for no more than £400 that would rival anything in the loony +1k region. That is the challenge for class t

21. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Just import a Bel Canto S300i from the US. Not much more than that s/h from audiogon and for the money, quite awesome.

22. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Might be very good but at $1950 :eek: No way
    As i said the technologu looks very simpole so it should be perfectly posssibe tpo manufacture high ends for much less than that.Maybe when the Japs get stuck into it we will see some good ones at sub £500 prices

23. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Try the ones advertised for $1600 then. The normal UK street price is close to £2000.

24. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    In audiogon yeah. Considering I ony forked out just over a £100 for my super T I am hardly likely to get anywhere near that figure. I am great believer in value and I wouldnt even spend that amount on a display let alone an amps which are relatively simple devices, especially class t ones.I guess there is always going to be a market for highend but in audio the law of dimishing returns is very evident. My brother in law worked in electronics for years and he told me much of it is overhyped and waaaaay overpriced.

25. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I was going to buy a super-t, but after my standard one started hissing and no after sales, well unless you call a repair costing more than a new one plus shipping and quite honestly pretty naff PR service for a U.S. company after 5-6 months of buying it i'm not bothering.

26. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    well its a shot in the dark with them admittedly but for a £100 worth the gamble in my view. I do though think its the shape of things to come when the big boys get involved. At the moment its very much niche market time

27. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Well i will add LGS that for what i use it for, and will put up with the white noise until it croaks, it is worth the money. Small, inobtrusive and sounds, when in good working order, fantastic for what it cost. Especially through mini monitors in a hallway.

28. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I agree about the PR service - **** poor:thumbsdow

29. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    T amps! ----------------------the future

30. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I ran an audiodigit digital amp for a while I was very impressed. It was certainly way better than some of my late 80s MF transistor amps but ultimately too sterile for me relative to my valves.

But when you can get a ready built module that sounds great for just euro 95 and just need to add a power supply, maybe a case too if looks are important , you cant go wrong - trust me on this one. Even if you dont like it you can see it on for pretty much what you paid for it.

http://www.autocostruire.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=12&products_id=258