1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonic Stage Software: For a newbie, is it ok/easy to understand?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Paul Cooksley, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

Further to my posting below about the Sony HD, (I am thinking of getting one) - I am a tad concerned about what I've read about Sony's software - Sonic Stage.

Tell me people: Is it easy for someone that knows very little about all this to transfer songs/albums via this software? I am reading conflicting reports about it - so just basically wondered how easy it is to actually start ripping CD's via this software to the player...

Can't make up my mind either on whether to go for this, or something with less hard drive capacity (don't think I need 20gb) - the only other one I like is the Ipod mini for £169.00 in the Argos book....what are these like? Any good? However, having said that, I guess the Sony HD5 is only £30 more in the Argos book ......

Oh I don't know....

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for any help

Paul

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should have no problem using sonicstage, people whinge about it all the time but its not that bad, especially if you have the latest version, version 3.2 which you can get from sonys website.

To rip its as simple as starting the program, then at the top is has a blue bar with 3 things on it, left button is to rip, middle button is to see the library and right button is to burn or transfer. So just press the left button put in a cd then either wait till the names come up or on the bottom i think there is a button that gets the CD info from the internet. If it doesn't because its a rare CD just input the names yourself. Then the arrow will rip the songs, before you do underneath the arrow it has the options, change to desired bitrate, on the HD5 it will support the atrac3 all bitrates and atrac3+ 48, 64, 192 and 256 (the others are for psp and new walkman so far). Make sure you untick the box saying copy protection (this is what makes this version of ss so good).

you will figure it out, just play around you cant hurt it. And its advised not to do any tasks on the PC while its ripping or transferring because it will slow it down or make glitches.

As for which player you get, it depends how much you care about sound or whether you want the player to play CDs the way they were intended to. If you do care about sound then get the sony. The iPod mini wont sound as good and has huge artificial gaps between the tracks wrecking CDs although it might be easier to navigate because of the click wheel.

Make sure you get new headphones when you do buy one, stock headphones sound terrible, except iPod ones sound ok but the player itself wont sound as good which is a bigger problem, You should check which sound you like for yourself though.

3. JoachimF

JoachimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my HD5 just yesterday, and didn't have any severe problems with SonicStage. I did encounter a few small problems, but after reading around on these forums I found answers and how to do everything I didn't know. =)
    How easy it is to understand is different to each individual I guess, but if I were you I would download SS 3.2 before buying the player and start importing songs into the program. If that works ok enough then buy the player! :D

Edit: Sasso was ahead of me :p, but he's totally right: The HD5's soundquality is awesome!