1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonic Stage File Conversion

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by wilko61, Aug 16, 2005.

1. wilko61

wilko61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using SS3.1 with my new HD5. For consistency I thought I would convert my existing MP3 files into ATRAC+. Highlighted all the MP3's and did the conversion but SS3 seems to keep a copy of the MP3 as well as creating an ATRAC+. However when I transfer to my HD5 the MP3 is transferred not the ATRAC. The only way I have managed to stop this is to delete the MP3 files from Sonic Stage.

Advice please.

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to delete the MP3s you converted from My Library ONLY (not your PC), then import the converted files (i.e. the new ATRAC3+ ones) into My library. They're hidden in an Optimized files folder somewhere on your system, unless you've changed the destination folder yourself. Just use search to find this folder, then point SS at it to import. No need to do anything to the original MP3s.

3. wilko61

wilko61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much what I did although when I deleted the MP3's from My Library the ATRAC3+ files were automatically there?

I deleted them by going to properties on a track and deleting the MP3 file, although I had to do this one at a time.

Perhaps your method would be quicker as I could delete all the MP3's at once?

4. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I used to have this problem as well but you can set up SonicStage 3.1 so that you can import the original MP3 into the library and automatically have it converted to ATRAC DURING transfer to the player.

Simply change the settings within SonicStage as per the attached document.

Edit - I've just added this post to the SS FAQ's thread.

Attached Files:

5. wilko61

wilko61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Seems like a good plan to me.

6. Petemare

Petemare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, file conversion really sucks. I've spent countless hours deleting files from my music library. I originallly converted from MP3 to Atrac3Plus64, not realizing that it wasn't the optimum sound quality I wanted; so then I went to 132 Atrac3- to me, that sounded better. Months later I got an external hard drive so naturally I upgraded again to 256 Atrac3Plus. Now this might all not sound like such a big deal, but I've got like 400-something CD's in my library, which comes out to like 6000 songs. It's worth it in the end though, getting a sound that's "good" enough. Of course, when SonicStage 3.2 came out- 320Atrac3Plus became available. I converted about 1/10 of my files back to 132, then deleted the 256 of this 1/10. Sonic Stage would not let me convert to 320. Something about not supporting this type of file/ or copyright problem. I e-mailed Sony about a problem with their software twice and didn't get a response. I guess they can't even troubleshoot their own software not to mention being completely rude. Luckily, about 75% of the albums I converted to 132 I still had on my VAIO Pocket Player at 256. Proceed with caution when it comes to file conversion! :suicide:

7. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Until a firmware upgrade not all of the new ATRAC3plus bitrates are operational as I understand it.

Anyway, as he is on v3.1 he will be fine if he follows my instructions above, no caution required (other than to make sure to follow the instructions exactly of course).

8. mikeynl

mikeynl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I convert the albums from MP3 to Atrac all the tracks are put into one folder. That is, if I convert 10 albums they all end up on 1 big folder. My MP3 files are all sorted in folders (1 folder per album), cos that's the way I like it. How do I make sure the Atrac files are put into 1 folder per album? Do I need to do it by hand, that is, convert 1 album at a time, create a new folder with the album name and move the files there? Isn't there and easier way?

9. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    If you follow the process above it should work fine providing you have all of the Artist / Album etc information within the MP3 file details.

10. Pesky6

Pesky6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To transfer mp3 to my HD5 i use MP3 File Manager(Read more at http://www.syndetics.net/sony-hacks/sonicstage.html or use search here). Its really faster and easy than SS. My recommendations.

I think that convert your files to atrac is not so good idea. If you are a Sony fan - atrac. Else - use mp3. I dont understand any advantages of convertion (except EQ-6), when HD5 plays standart mp3.