1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonic Stage 3.1 UK Version

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Fencer02, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know how i could change from the american 3.0 to this without losing all my music on the hd3? i havent authorised my plyer because teh us version wont let me.

3. yonny

yonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope, u dont need to initialize, atleast i didnt need to

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    About time! ....month after Jap/US. Typical treatment 4 europe....(PSP another example)

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    REALLY! nice one, i didnt think it would let you do that.

6. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for pointing out that this is now available - have just installed it.

Mine has gone from taking 18 seconds to load up in v2.3 to only a couple of seconds, pretty much instant loading!! So at least thats a good start!

EDIT - spoke too soon on the speed front - its only that quick if you've already loaded the program, shut it and then re-open. Must be caching it somewhere. But from cold start it is slightly quicker than before, so not all bad

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    So this is what happened. Restarting PC, only the wallpaper + a message saying SS is converting database loads. 40secs later, PC loads up as normal. After my normal PC start up programs are done, I double click on SS. 15 secs later its done and is on CONNECT music store view. Scroll down, @ bottom it says copyright of Sony UK etc. Phew! :)

Overall, 1st impressions, nicer, clearer layout. More things "on screen" so don't have 2 trawl thru menus. Status bar in middle when importing a CD. That doesn't seem quicker though. Shock horror! Mp3 96 - 320 kbps is now an option for importing, as well as Atrac. Although I'll keep mine @ Atrac3+ 256 for gapless play on my HD3.

Yet 2 know what will happen when I connect my HD3. More to come....

8. load81

load81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No hard disk initializing needed for me.

Smooth update.

If we just could have a firmware update which lets us use playlists without double data i would be happy.....

9. Inter

Inter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you get the HD3 to play tracks gapless?

10. RainFX

RainFX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worked ok here too. Quite slick.

Although, it does seem to have created playlists\groups where I've renamed albums (to distinguish all the 'Greatest Hits' CDs that get released). But fortunately it doesn't seem to have transferred them twice...

11. diand

diand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently run SonicStage 2.1 (I say 'run' loosely, as it spends most of its time crashing) with my NW-HD1. Will upgrading to v3.1 cause me any problems, e.g. losing audio data on computer, HD1 losing data, HD1 not being recognised etc? I am just desperate to try and find a way of not having to reboot the computer when SonicStage crashes.

12. acquiescefc

acquiescefc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I on euro version?

SonicStage : 3.1.00.03290

?

13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Um... gapless play standard with Atrac format not with MP3. Try listening with Album where 2 trackes "merge". Hear a gap?

Edit: doesn't work in shuffle mode. Sorry thats too obvious right?

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Sorry for double post. Ver 2.1? Upgrade immediately! new ver is less buggy + more user friendly. No u won't lose ur music, only thing u will lose is old ver of SS! :)

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Wow 3 posts in a row.... So here's my update on upgrading to SS ver3.1 eur

Connected my HD3 and... didn't have to re-initialise or re-format. It recognised all my songs. Beautiful. Don't understand problems others experience. Only change is a status bar charting transfer progress. :)

Also when you view song info, it is now more detailed + better layout. Now there are seperate screens for info on song, tabs for 'Track Info', 'Lyrics/Liner Notes', 'Rights Info/Additional Info' and 'File Info'. :thumbsup:

Track Info lets u edit song title, artist, album etc. Also add cover art. Sony copies Itunes and adds 'back' and 'next' buttons in bottom left 2 go to previous/next song quicky. ;)

Lyrics/Liner Notes does what its called. Simple job of copy lyrics from web page then paste. Interestingly, under lyrics, u can select text or image. Hmm

Rights Info/Additional Info shows u rights for track. Here's what mine says:
    Playback restrictions: None
    No. of times played: 3times
    Remaining transfer count: Unlimited
    Remaining ATRAC CD transfer count: Unlimited
    Remaining audio CD transfer count: Unlimited
    Transfer destination: ATRAC Audio Device(E) :)

File Info shows file format. Also shows location of song with 'Move File' next to that...Under File format there's a big button that says 'delete file'. Pressing it, I get a message that says: This file if the only file registered to this content. It can only be deleted from Edit menu.
    Wonder if it would ask u if u was sure u want 2 delete if u had more than one file registered to content.... :D

16. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi, I've downloaded SS3.1 UK version to replace SS2.3. I have one major issue with it,which is instead of grouping compilation albums together as a compilation, it splits all the artists up into a whole load of 1 track albums. Why?? Is there any way to sort this, because SS2.3 didn't do this. Any ideas? Please help! Dan

17. timboking

timboking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, once again, sony have excelled themselves.

What an absolutely **** piece of software. I can't for the life of me understand how they can think it is acceptable?!

Fine, my computer isn't amazingly fast (P4 1.6Ghz, 256MB etc), but surely its not beyond a huge corporation like sony to make a piece of software that just works. Sonicestage is bloated beyond belief. To make even a tiny change to a group of files takes forever, importing files is a nightmare and it is just completely counter intuitive. And this new version is just as bad as the old one i swear.

I'm generally cross, because I really like my HD-3, it looks lovely and the battery lasts for aaaaaaaaages. But now instead of addressing issues for the HD-3 which hasn't been out for long at all, they have gone and released the HD-5, a player which on paper looks much nicer.

Surely it wouldnt take them long to make some new firmware for the HD-3 which allows playlists or even heaven forbid on the fly playlists. The machine certainly has the capability, they just need to implement it, rather than making a new machine, because the old one hasn't sold as well as they'd hoped. Get used to it sony, your never going to make an iPod, but at least have the common decency to look after the customers you have got.

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    danwalton - I believe the information you require can be found in this thread

19. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This 3.1 is very cumbersome , changes to Group names take for ever. I have a slowish machine but the creative software I used to use was fine also I use Music Match for an Old RCA Lyra and that is also fine , any changes are as quick as saving an Excel spread sheet, but this abortion takes anything up to two minutes to change anything. I also store music in two seperate directories , one for ripped CD's one for downloads and although SS has found them all, if an attempt to play is made , I get a "Cannot find file dialogue box " and have to identify the file manualy which will then play. This software is garbage , the original OMG was garbage (failed to recognise a MD Player for 13 months) . The failure to upgrade the firmware on HD3 and releasing an upgraded model instead shows a keen contempt for existing customers (a trait Sony have had before in the 1980's... quality problems what quality problems...) Japanese motorcycle makers used to chuck out a new model every 5 minutes until they realised the customer base was becoming disenchanted to say the least, then they at least reverted to one model a year. All this is caused by Sony having both hardware and software in the same company, the infighting at planning meetings must be a joy to watch..........Sony on this issue are proving to be a complete bunch of onanists...

20. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Do I need to initialize my HD3 after upgrading to ver3.1 from ver 2.3??? 'cause it occurred to me when I upgraded to ver3.0 from ver2.3.

21. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You shouldn't have to, I have changed version of SS many times and never had to initialize my player!

22. Goliath

Goliath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: I run the new sonic stage 3.1 installer, it downloaded the required files, deleted the old version (2.3) then installed the new version 3.1. When rebooted no sonic stage installed on the hard drive at all. Anyone got any ideas

23. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Don't understand problems everyone is having. Mine installed flawlessly, and I find it runs much quicker (than 2.3) with a more detailed, nicer layout :cool:

My PC isn't even anything special, XP, 2ghz with 248 ram. Although 2 counter the low ram, I upped the virtual memory limit

24. timboking

timboking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but come on, it is a pile of crap compared to dare i say WMP and iTunes (I loathe both, much prefer the simplicity of winamp 2.81), yet I would settle for either over Sonicstage anyday.

Also, what I find funny is how little has actually changed in this the next generation of sonicstage (2 ->3), when you change a big number surely that implies significant changes, a whole new look etc. It is pretty similar as far as i'm concerned.

I just don't understand how sony can do it. They make a beautiful player, great sound quality and battery life. Yet let themselves down with shocking software, they will never be a serious competitor with apple if they carry on like this.

And surely a firmware upgrade for the HD-3 isn't too much to ask. How could they miss out something so major as a proper playlist feature?!

25. jimmymajestoc

jimmymajestoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got the same problem as goliath, downloaded 3.1 - restarted computer and sonic stage nowhere to be seen?

any ideas - i am pretty much a computer mong

26. band

band

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The exact same thing happened to me as for Goliath and jimmymajestoc...´
    After the installation and rebooting of the computer Sonicstage seems to be gone, and the installation folder is empty...

I've tried pretty much everything but I'm now out of ideas...
    help needed!

27. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Installation folder empty? So where did all that downloaded data go? Sure its not a PC problem? No problem getting SS on a bought HP brand PC and a custom built PC. Do you have the SS downloader on PC? (the one that you initially download only to find it then goes online itself to get SS + components)

28. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Sorry for double post. What are ur PC specs? If u don't have enough RAM, try pushing virtual memory (start menu, right click on My computer, properties, advanced, performance settings). This just uses some of ur hard disk temporarily as RAM space.

Seriously, right clicking on a group/album then selecting rename takes ages?

29. Roger Matthews

Roger Matthews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The version of Soundstage (3.1) mentioned in this thread does not seem to work with the stuff on the Connect site. You can buy music online but not and download it to the PC but SS refuses to let you record it onto your NW-HD3. It says you have not registered but I cannot find out how to regist the device with them; I have taken the matter up with Connect Support and they deny that a UK version of SS even exists and have told me to downgrade to SS 2.3 (which I won't do since it is vastly inferior to SS 3.1).

Perhaps I shall just give up downloading music from Connect.

30. rigger123

rigger123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2