1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonic stage 3.1 is a joke

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by vee6, Jul 10, 2005.

1. vee6

vee6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just got hold of a new hd5 .. everything cool apart from some **** buggy software that came on a disc .. not convinced sony wrote it .. some 8 year old with his fist ZX spectrum did !!
    Anyway.. i have 2000 'backed up songs' i wish to transfer (.wma). 9 hours later it has done about 800 or so. Now i have a box that says something like ' the following songs could not be converted' ( about 500 or so )

This is all it says , no explaination nothing .. copyright ?? names too long ?? song too long ?? i have absoloutly no idea and neither does SS. I have searched until the bones on my fingers are showing through and found nothing

this is a proper useless piece of **** software .. what happened to just dragging all the songs u want onto a 20 gig USB 2.0 removable drive??literally done in seconds!

please point me in the right direction as i want to be able to listen to some music before i go deaf through old age !!!

2. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so it says "cannot import" on about 500 wma files?

Rather than doing them all at once you could try doing about 10/20 or even 50 at a time. So your finding out if the problem is with all on them or just a few

Drag and Drop; it would be nice. One problem is that the play doesn't surport wma, but could be done if Sony got their act together. Still if you'd like something closer to drap and drop you could try the Vaio Music transfer software. I've got it, you drap you tracks to a box and it converts them and puts them on your player.

P.S- How did you end up with 'wma' files in the first place?

3. vee6

vee6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

i sat down for 3 days and ripped all my cd's (300 albums!!!)to HDD using WMP10 <-- more fool me !!

I have just deleted all the license backup info in the DRM folder and restored it .. now the message SS gives is a bit clearer. All the songs are copyright protected .. Question is now how do i get round this . i have all the cd's but am pretty reluctant to have to go through all this palava of doing it one CD at a time . Is there not a utility that automatically fetches any licenses that are required ?

4. ben_wade

ben_wade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think WMP10 can get licences.

Could try ripping from CD direct to the HD5 if nothing else works

I have an HD1 and all of my songs transfered to it with no problem, all 1,600 of them

5. vee6

vee6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    WMP 10 does aquire licenses a good eg is faithless sunday 8pm , i have the license for it .. it plays no probs on the pc but simply refuses to transfer it via SS. currently doing a direct transfer from cd and its going on no probs ... the prob i have is that i have about 80 albums that SS wont transfer . and as i said before pretty reluctant to have to do all 80 CD's again . manually!!

6. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When ripping CDs, WMP puts copy protection on the wma files as a default. Hence you won't be able to use SonicStage to convert them to atrac.

You need to go to Tools | options to deselect the option to copy protect ripped files.

7. vee6

vee6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah .. i am aware of this little check box .. all cd's were ripped with this box unchecked .. looking more and more like having to start again !!!!

8. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Better to rip them straight to Atrac

9. vee6

vee6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the help people .. i seemed to have cracked it .. The DRM file seemed to have got itself corrupted. i deleted all the files within then restored a previous backup and also deleted the Library within SS and started the whole process again. It seems to be doing its thing now ! :)
    I still maintain that SS is a pile of buggy processor intensive unintuitive bollokcs and that sony should hang their heads in shame over it. Iv'e just had a go at iTunes .. now thats the way to do it !!

10. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get that software? I've Googled it, but can only find an update, which requires you have it installed already. :(

11. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I belive i installed the update (guessing it might download extras if i have not got the programm) but it was the whole programme!

12. vee6

vee6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    WMA non-support - anything to do with Sony not liking microsoft? :)

14. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome! Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

EDIT:
    Hmm, it doesn't seem to be working. It transfers the songs to the player, but doesn't convert it to what I selected in the preferences - just copies it straight over as the origional bitrate mp3... :confused: Am I doing something wrong? It seems pretty tough to miss something with such a simple program.

15. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know why it doesn't do what you want it todo but........

[/QUOTE]it just copies it straight over as the origional bitrate mp3...

16. ChunkyMunkyLuva

ChunkyMunkyLuva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have about 2500 songs in WMA and mp3 format, most of which i have ripped from CD's using WM10. i am interested in buying a HD5 but will i have problems putting my music on? Also, do i have to convert all my music to Atrac format in order to put it onto the HD5?

17. kamp

kamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For mp3 files, you don't have to convert to Atrac, but for WMA, you will have to convert them into Atrac.

18. kamp

kamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read somewhere back in Feb that Apple and Sony might form a partnership.
    The partnership was supposed to focus on video's though.

But I thought, if they combine itunes, touch scroll wheel and sony design (both outer appearance and innner circuit design), it would be pretty damn sweet.

Just my 2 cents. Lol

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    never will happen. Bet Sony wished they had bought Apple 3-4 years ago when they had the chance. They said it was too expensive though. The price will be far higher now. Ahhhh hindsight is a wonderful thing......

side note: iPod sales recently dipped : "Apple ... will say today iPod shipments dropped to 5.29 million in the three months ended in June from 5.31 million in the second, according to a Bloomberg News survey of eight analysts. Sales of the iPod, which generated almost one third of Apple's .24 billion in revenue, are up sixfold from 860,000 a year earlier" source Bloomberg news

bet its only a slight dip.....The rivals can dream though....

20. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have more than 30gb of music. So I kind of have to compress it.

21. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, i can see your point then :cool:

If you do have any of them albums on CD always best to used them direct to the ATARC/MP3 bit rate you need (of course) for all your music to fit. So your not converting from mp3 to mp3/ATARC

22. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have most of them on CD, but that's a huge hassle. They're all already ripped to my drive, so I'd rather just select whole folders, drag and drop and have them converted. SonicStage is really p'ing me off though - I can't even reorder the songs!

23. jarrod1979

jarrod1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sonic stage makes me want to punch a hole through my laptop screen every time i use it. Its so bad i'm thining of selling my sony and getting an i pod just because sonic stage is such a piece of $h1t

24. NoviKaNa

NoviKaNa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not thinking of selling my Sony, but SonicStage REALLY is a peace of crap!! You would think Sony could make an Itunes/WMP-like programme. After all, it is a pretty big company with some thousands employees. Don't think you need more than a couple with some programmingskills to make it happen.

Say, if I download 5 mp3's (legal, of course :rolleyes: ), I can put them right in mye main mp3-folder, and WMP notices them right away. If I want them in SonicStage (and I have to if I am to use them on my HD5), it takes 4-5 minutes for it to scan the folder and figure out wich files that's already imported. It all just takes SOOO much time!