1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sonic impact digital amp (£20 giant killer ???)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by danburbridge, Jan 17, 2005.

1. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know if any of you guys ever read TNT-Audio but there is a VERY interesting review of a $39 amp on there that seems to have blown everybody whos heard it away.

There seem to have been silly comments comparing this tiny amp to ones costing hundreds of times more....

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

Has anyone heard one yet?

thinking of buying one to test against my homemade gainclone amp...

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    There are folks over at the headfi.org forum who have been using these for a few months and apparently they are impressive for their cost. Most folks there have been using it to drive the AKG K1000 headphones which are particularly hard to drive for headphones and have had good results, despite the fact that these headphones really prefer tube amplification, so it must have quite a refined sound I'd guess...

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    That would be an interesting test. I very nearly went down the gainclone path. Very nice Amps. Are they standard or Inverted Gainclones?

4. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of treating myself to one of these ;)

I see the 8r suddenly becoming a preamp :laugh:

Let the modding begin ;) http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ampbox/page2.html

Any idea where to get one that will ship to Ireland/UK cheaply?

edit - and does anyone know if i could use two of these, biamped, with my 8r as a preamp? I suppose you could also put two in the one box, which would look tidy :)

5. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    knightshade - my amp is a gainclone (non inverted) - the amp i linked to is a completely different kind of amp - class t rather than clas a-b(as the gainclone is)
    im still kinda tempted to buy a couple - think biamping should be easy - although i have read somewhere that these amps cannot be bridged so you cant get more power by joining 2 together to create a monobloc

you should still be able to bi(or tri) amp using these tho

6. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you cant bridge them no!

Where do you live - nowhere wants to ship to ireland :(

Im thinking of using My Arcam 8r as a preamp - and using two of these pre-amped - do you think it will work?

7. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah that should work - would probably be best to rip out the cheapo potentiometer to turn them into pure power amps - i should thinking using one to feed the HF tweeter signals and one for the bass woofer sections of your speakers would work best (presuming you can biamp your speakers)

I live in bristol (UK) and havent heard one of these yet, i have yet to find a site that will ship to the uk either....

8. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you really want one mate - there is one or two places - thinkgeek.com i think is one.
    £20 for int post.

If i remove the potentiometer - how do I make sure that the pre-amp controls the volume - im fairly new to the whole modding thing, and really dont want to wreck somethign that I've spent ages getting from the US!!

9. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume that the arcam has pre-outs - if so you just connect these to the sonic impact and the internal power amp in the arcam will be bypassed - you may need to replace the pot with a resistor to stop the amp oscillating though.

10. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks :)

Any idea on size of resistor?

11. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dunno - it depends what the value the pot is i guess - might be an idea to try asking at somewhere like www.diy-audio.com - a couple of people there look like they have done a fair bit of modding on the sonic impact allready :)

12. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers :) i'm on there too - its a great site - you might see Im talking about changing the chip inside and bridging too :)

13. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Scary stuff. But the reviwer makes a very, very good point; by the time it has the fit, finish, build and sound quality we require, it will cost many thousands of dollars!

I'm sure the first ss amps were ludicrously cheap and powerful compared to the valve amps of the day.

Take a standard, cheap SS integrated (say a Marantz PM440 - £140) - reduce the Power supply to provide 9W, inputs, remote functions, and change all the switchgear and internal/external components to the cheapest possible AND put what's left in a tiny plastic box......

...and you might be left with something like the T-amp that could retail for £29. So I don't really see what all the fuss is about?

The supposedly great sound quality must be a lucky fluke :p

DT