1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Songs downloaded from iTunes on the HD5

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by pop_disaster86, Aug 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. pop_disaster86

pop_disaster86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to transfer songs that I have legally downloaded from iTunes onto a non-Apple mp3 player? (Specifically, the Sony HD5)

I've got an mp3 converting program to convert WMAs and WAVs into mp3s etc, but it doesn't seem to be able to recognise iTunes songs to convert them. I assume they are protected by Apple or something like that?

Thanks

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Your best option is to burn the tracks to CD and then import them into Sonicstage. All of the major online music sellers use copy protected files.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Your iTMS songs are AAC encoded, so nothing short of iTunes and an iPod are going to have the decoders to play them back.
    Converting from one lossy codec to another via AIFF (CD Audio), is not going to make the songs sound all that good.
    I presume you have/had an iPod prior to buying songs off iTMS? If not, then you really should've read things before buying blindly. Sorry, that's the way it is.

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I'd go with this advice. And don't worry about generation loss or lost sonic info transcoding from one lossy codec (AAC) to another (MP3, ATRAC, or whatever). I've done this many times, sometimes to ridiculous levels, and everything sounds just fine to me. :smashin:

Repeat the mantra: lossy isn't hi-fi, lossy isn't hi-fi ...

5. Ryanmixu

Ryanmixu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    do a google search asaking the same question mate might give you a few ideas :smashin: