Song year not showing on Sony S639

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by NikB, Feb 5, 2009.

1. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I recently bought a Sony NWZ-S639 and have been building my digital music collection since. I haven't transferred much music to the player but of those that I have the year isn't showing on the player and I don't know why. It means I can't take advantage of the Intelligent shuffle feature.

I have been ripping the CD's to flac using EAC. Then I have picked up all the album art and added it to the files using mp3Tag. I've checked the tags in mp3Tag and they look fine, they also look fine in Foobar.

So I then used dbpoweramp (trial version of the reference program) and used the batch converter to create the mp3's from the flac files.

So does anyone know what might have gone wrong in transferring these files to the player?

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,605
    So just the song year is not showing? I presume when converting the rest of the file tag data remained intact...

I suppose there is nothing for it but to use MP3 tag and mass-edit the year field...

3. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    But the year field is showing correctly in mp3Tag so how would that work? All other data such as album art, album, artist, track title etc show fine.

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,605
    'Date' or 'Year' field? If you see what I am suggesting...

I would re-tag one song/album, re-transfer and see if that works

5. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don't know will have to have a look at that when I get home. I think it's the year field that's showing fine. Where would the date field be?

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,605
    I was just hazarding a guess by looking at the extended tags available in MP3Tag

Have no idea actually why its not showing on the Sony if other fields are

7. Mike45450

Mike45450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have an older model (A818) and had the same problem. You need to transfer your music in Windows Media Player for the year to show up. It's a pain because sometimes the tags aren't the same and you gotta change some of them.

8. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's a bit stupid isn't it? I thought one of the advantages of this player was that you could just use explorer to drag and drop?
    I didn't want to use Media Player because I read that it can mess the tags up. So I guess I either don't have the year or I risk the tags being messed up?

9. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    For anyone that's interested I tried using Media Monkey to sync with the Walkman and it transferred everything including the year data so I don't need to use WMP.

Many thanks.

10. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    This has been bugging me with my A289.

It is completely random, I have several albums from Amazon MP3 that don't show the year, but others from Amazon MP3 do.

I have loads of albums ripped from CDs tagged with a mixture of MP3Tag, WMP11, MediaMonkey. And only one album has successfully transferred the year to my Sony.

It is so annoying because every program and OS tells me the year of the tracks, so they are correctly tagged.

I think the one album that successfully kept it's year was Tagged with MediaMonkey, but the album art doesn't work with MediaMonkey, that only works with MP3Tag.

How many programs does it take to tag an MP3 so all the fields work on a Sony?

Does anybody know what ID3 system the Sony uses?