1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soncistage Incorrect atrac device storage meter??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GrooveyTunez, Jun 20, 2005.

1. GrooveyTunez

GrooveyTunez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Last question - honest :D
    I just noticed when was transferring an album to my sony nw-hd5 it says there is only 18.5gigabyte left on the device out of 20gigabytes, even though ive only actually put 100megs worth of music on it.
    I appreciate formatting and adding the units O.S system would take it down a little, but 1.5GB??? :eek: or is this just S.S telling porkies? :)

2. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    unfortunatley yes it has about 1.5 gb allocation partition for data management. the bigger the hdd the bigger this partition needs to be. :(

3. crazydane67

crazydane67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, in fact this is because of the difference in the way a KB is defined. 1 kilobyte is equal to 1024 bytes in the IT world and also in windows. However many companies chose to define 1 kilobyte as 1000 bytes because it will make the storage seem higher. So when Sony reports that the player has 20 GB of disk space it is in fact 20.000.000.000 bytes which in windows will show as 20 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = roughly 18.6 GB in which case it makes sense that you see 18.5 because you've already used 100 MB.