Sona AV42 TV stand. Anyone got one?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by confused dotcom, Jan 2, 2007.

1. confused dotcom

confused dotcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    After weeks of searching I have finally found a stand for my Samsung setup (32" LCD & HT-QX100 Home cinema). The reason it has taken so long is that the DVD is tall and has a top loading slot. Not many of the 'usual suspects' had enough shelf gap, however this one does(ish):
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/1027311/Sona_AV42_3_BLK_LCD_Plasma_TV_Stand/Product.html

Has anybody seen or got this stand? If so is it good quality (looks very similar to Alphason) and can anyone recommend a few good sites to check prices?(Play are normally quite good but the link above is quite pricey. I have searched the forum but anything there is fairly old now.
    Many thanks in advance :smashin:
    ps I am after the black model not the silver.

2. McJacko

McJacko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confused, I have one of these coming to me tomorrow from ShopAtDigital.co.uk.

Its the "piano black" version and, including delivery, has cost me £92.49.

Link here: http://www.shopatdigital.co.uk/acatalog/AV423G.html

Novatech.co.uk have them on their site at £76.82 +Carriage, but they're stock is currently overdue and my new plasma arrives on Thursday, which is why I bought from ShopAtDigital.

Novatech link here: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?LCD-AV42B

I will report back on this thread once I've seen the goods.

3. confused dotcom

confused dotcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for letting me know. I saw the shopatdigital one after my post. Looks the best bet because as you say Novatech are overdue and have none in stock. (I love the way it is £10 extra just to spray it black!!)
    Would appreciate a report on the stand when you get it.
    Thanks again.

4. McJacko

McJacko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Photos, allbeit poor mobile phone photos, of the black AV42 stand, attached.

The silver "discs" that you can see in the corners of the top shelf are the threaded aluminium inserts for the four screwed rods that hold all the leg tubes together. They are set-in to the underside of the thicker glass top shelf and show through to the upper surface.

Each black glass shelf is separated by four black satin painted metal tubes with chromed plastic end caps, which are actually quite discreet.

There's even a plastic cable guide tube that runs top to bottom that seems to work quite well.

The whole thing took just 10 minutes to assemble (with just a pair of pliars to tighten the screwed rods) and the final product lis sturdy and appears well finished.

I must now find some anti-static polish to clean this thing with, or I'll be forever dusting it!

Attached Files:

5. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The Sona stand looks nice all in black.

This is about 20cm wider, has a different cable tidy at the rear (not a tube), but has chrome effect legs :

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-GT5BLK

For the price it isn't bad & if you've got AV equipment galore then there's somewhere to put it !

6. whitty72

whitty72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do u think a 32" phillips will look on it,you can't beat that for price.

7. confused dotcom

confused dotcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the post mate. It looks quite smart in black and for the price I guess it is good value. The novatech one is advertised as an Alphason but seems very cheap at that price! Besides they have a due stock date two weeks away so maybe the extra ten quid from shopatdigital is worth splashing out on.
    Can you run scart leads through the cable guide or is it for phono/RGB type plugs only? Cheers.

8. McJacko

McJacko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cable tube has a 3" internal diameter and the slot at the back is easily large enough for scart connectors to pass through.

I have three scart cables (including one flat type), one component cable, a couple of aerial cables and three power cables tucked into mine. The flat scart sits a little awkward when entering and leaving the tube, but they all fit in.

The packaging that my stand from ShopAtDigital came in shows this item to be made by Sona and the full part number is AV42/3-BLK. Its definitely not an Alphason stand, one look around the Alphason site will show that they don't manufacture a stand with this part number.

My ex came around earlier to collect the kids and she commented that the stand must have cost as much as the TV (a 42" Pioneer plasma)! That's how good it looks.

Just a thought, Confused - you mentioned in your first post of this thread that you are looking at this stand for supporting a 32" screen, but that its only the shelf spacing that is critical for your top-loader. Could you not get away with the 32" version, as the shelf spacings are still the same and this one's in stock at Novatech?

9. Goblin

Goblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    We sell these at work (albeit at ludicrously inflated prices) and they are a fine budget choice but nowhere nearly as well made or robust as the Alphason stands. I particularly don't like the plastic feet that hold everything together. But, for under £100 they're a perfectly good stand.

10. confused dotcom

confused dotcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just got mine set up and I am very pleased with it. It looks the dogs danglies with my Samsung set all in gloss piano black. It was a piece of pee to put together in about 10 minutes from start to finish. OK, so it may not be an Alphason but do I care for £79? Not really. It is strong enough and looks the part. After all I could have payed £200+ for something that sits in the corner with a TV on it. Fine if you have money to burn.
    Also I built mine wiht the shelves the other way round so the large gap is at the top and causes no problems. I now have Xbox and SKY+ side by side on the lower shelf with the Samsung HT-XQ100 Home cinema DVD player on the top shelf.
    Well pleased!:smashin:

11. Leanne

Leanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If anyone is interested I e-mailed Alphason today and they do actually make the Sona stand. I saw this in Debenhams for £200 and wanted to check I had the right one, off to order it now (from somewhere cheaper)!

Here is my reply from Alphason:

Thank your enquiry.

To clear up any confusion Sona is a brand name that is part of Alphason
    therefore this is not a copy - they are produced by us.

12. confused dotcom

confused dotcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for clearing that up. Let's see now, £65 0r £165? Mmm, bit of a no brainer really!!:smashin: It certainly looks the build and quality of an Alphason.
    Hope you enjoy yours:D

13. jaarus

jaarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone that has this stand, PLEASE could you do some measuring for me and post it back on this thread?

* What are the measurements between the two front posts?
    * What are the measurements between the two back posts?
    * What is the depth from very front of shelf to the back posts?

The only dimensions I can find are of its overall size - which doesnt help me as I am trying to squeeze in AV gear and a bit worried that it wont all fit!

:smashin:

14. confused dotcom

confused dotcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just measured the stand and it is 100cm wide at the front and tapers to 60 cm at the rear. It has a depth of 46 cm from the front centre to the rear. The gap from the front to the cable tidy tube is 36 cm.

15. jaarus

jaarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that :smashin: - depth measurements are exactly what I was looking for.
    But regarding widths, I am trying to get measurements between the posts for example on shelf two - as I think its 100cm wide all in all so does that mean its about 80cm between the posts?

:confused:

16. confused dotcom

confused dotcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, it is approx 85 CM between posts

17. jaarus

jaarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great many thanks - at least I can rule this stand out now :thumbsup:
    back to the drawing board! :(

18. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Hi,

Can someone who has the AV42 please tell me what the height dimension is from floor to top of the top shelf so to speak, I need to check for clearance. :)

Thanks,

Mike

19. Leanne

Leanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

51.5cm from floor to the top of the top shelf.

20. up2nogood

up2nogood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I thinking of getting this.
    Could some very nice person, measure for me, from the bottom shelf, to the middle shelf, and also, from the midle shelf, up to the top shelf :lease:
    Thanks lads..

21. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    yeah i would like to know the dimensions aswell please. thanks

22. N20Y1D

N20Y1D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Do these come with the cable tidy tube as standard? doesnt seem to appear in any stock photos i can see.

23. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I think it does, but its odd I know. I am trying to work out if this Argos one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344716.htm

Is actually a legit Sona one or a different version because if you look on the Sona site: (look at the small thumbnail pic third from left)

http://www.sona-av.co.uk/av_furniture/3-self-AV-Support-42-inch.htm

The pics are different. Hmmm I like the idea of Argos because I can go and pick it up at my leisure and not have to take delivery from one of the online retailers.

But I dunno if they are two different things now! :)

24. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Decided to just get it from Argos, I think its an "old" version but it says AV42-3G on the box but the cable tidy looks different to the Sona site, it looks nice enough anyway :)

Attached Files:

25. ChrisMacca

ChrisMacca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello. Can anyone who owns this stand confirm whether you can set this up without the additional shelf? Looking for a low glass stand this width. Reading the thread it mentions aluminion inserts to hold the legs together - can they be chopped to fit? Sounds a bit of butchers jobs, but finding a low stand that isn't wide is tricky.

Cheers

Macca