1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somthing Strange or is it common

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Rookies, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Ok As you all know my tv is KV32FX66 with Sky Digital.

Ok I notice this morning I did yesterday but I though I leave it for a bit. When watching BBC 1 or 2, itv on sky most morning programs are live arnt they. I find there somtime grainy round people and this does happen on Uk gold aswell or is it Gold +. But other channels like Sky shopping channels and sport news etc they seem fine.

I then turn the tv onto the normal channel through arial BBC itv seem fine on there.

Is it due to Sky Digital not encoding fast enough? is it a common thing people can notice for those type of programs on sky when about 2 feet away from the set. If I sat normal place it hard to spot it really. Just interested to know why on bbc on sky it was a bit griany rould people and on normal ariel it ok

2. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have similar probs.

After searching on the net I think it's bl**dy sky digital.
    All that compression etc.
    Apart from good scart leads which I'm sure you have there ain't too much we can do about it apart from moan to sky.
    They will do the usual, thats the way it is la la la but if enough complaints are registered they may do something?

Nah course they won't!
    Them & BT have us all by the nads - take up reading!
    :D

3. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Hi,

Yeah I got very good scart leads.

I assume you have the same set as it hink you have. So is it the same to you that some programs we see this grain on and some we dont. I noticed like Trish program this morning on ITV that had it and it a live broadcast I wonder if that why? Mind you some UK gold program are a bit funny too. but alot of the sky channels are fine.

4. ben_e71

ben_e71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rookies - easy answer sit in the normal place:) how high is your sharpness setting?

5. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah it seems to differ from prog to prog.

Was watching fanarama on E4 & it was rubbish (not live though) but friends & ER later on were loads better!

Wierd :confused:

6. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Ben I have my sharpness level around 40%. What do you advise to have it at? If I went higher the more I will see the grain.

Like I have said it only certain programs that this problem appears on just soo weird. Most of the time and most programs I watch are fine.

And yeah sitting in normal place is much better but can notic it a tiny bit. But like I said it only happens on some programs no all so it much be down to sky on how it been compress and transmitted.

DVD play AWESOME

7. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Also ben dont you notice this problem on your tv that if you have sky and FX66. I dont think it tv cant be as dvd play good and most programs do it just certain programs. It must be that our tv is too good sometime for the broadcast hence the reason it was hard to spot on the old tv

8. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's SKY, they are giving more and more of their bandwidth to interactive rubbish and more and more channels, so everything suffers.

The picture quality is getting progressively worse, and most of the time analog signals kick the hell out of it.

9. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I think everyone need to start complaing to sky then. As if they are going to get even worse what the point paying £31 a month.

Mind you it only poeple with very good tv that going to notice it as I never notic it on my 50 hz tv I turned it again this afternoon jesus I can see the screen flickering like made now never us to just a bit. My eye adjusted to to nice still pictures that I am now getting most of the time. Just odd programs that need sorting,,

If my main programs show good then i be happy

10. ben_e71

ben_e71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rookies

yes mine's about 40% as well. Yes I do notice it on SKy depending onthe channel BBc1 - Ch4 very good, Discovery H&L poorer, QVC worse, Simply History appalling. Its a bandwith and compression issue.

However, this is an ecellent set though I had a Panny 28" 4:3 with excellent picture and I still got it a bit. 100hz just makes it worse. I tried to get a newer box out of Sky as I have a panny 20 but they didn't want to play. Apparantly the newer boxes give a better picture.

I think you just have to live with it really.

And what I have learnt over the last month is forget about the picture issues on Sky and bask in the sets glory

ps Rookies are you AV Forums most prolific poster on the 32FX66;)

11. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    ben_e71

LOL you can say that again I know I posted alot about this tv. But just wanna make sure about things that all :) Sorry if I am a pain everyone.

Anyway yeah My sky box is also about 3 years old same as yours I think.

I am thinking of having Sky Plus one day maybe I see a different when I get that. I though if a new box would make much different but I cant see it doing. Maybe someone can comment on this.

Also Ben how have you got the other setting set at like brightness etc

I can live with it as i aint going to swap it as it dont BUZZ next one could buzz like hell LOL. Like i said it great with dvds and good programs

12. ben_e71

ben_e71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just joshing rookies:) :) :) I think you are right to get all the info - I only found my really good picture settings by looking at Nick the Norse's post.

by the way I connected my sky box up with a IXOS 141 scart lead today and the picture is 200% better - and Ask Direct is the cheapest place for them £25 + £5 p&p

plus if makes it easier getting the scarts in and the strap fixed.

catch you soon

Ben

13. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Same scart leads I got from the same place aswell LOL. I got mine On thrusday. It improved the picture quite a bit but does not solve the problem. I dont think we can it all down to sky or down to our Digital Plus feature. Like i have said most of the time most programs are very very good nice picture. But some time i get them when they are a bit fuzzy around people like on there face etc. I dont think sky will improve this suppose it somthing we gotting live with for time being.

14. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's Sky's bit rate, it's a joke, I dont think it's your TV.

I was watching the Gills Vs Leeds game today (SkySports 2), and the picture kept breaking up into blocks, on crowd scenes and fast moving camera moves.

Does anybody know what their (Sky's) average bit rate per channel is?

Also, some of the Sky channels jam and freeze. Does anyone else get this?

John

15. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    All this I could only notice on my New tv as you know is a 100hz digital plus. could never notice it on my old 50hz tv. I suppose our tv too good for sky now then LOL.

Apar from that little niggle like freckle grains round people etc. I get a much more clear picture more in dept picture than i did with my old tv. Some channels are great DVD even better. I love the set would not part with it, just hope sky improve