Somewhere nice in Essex... possible!?

kayzee

Hi guys. So my mum's 60th is almost finally here, next week. I want to take her somewhere just for a spot of lunch, somewhere nice to visit like gardens etc.

She wouldn't want to go out of Essex as she doesn't enjoy long car journeys! But if anyone could think of anywhere, maybe so I could look up on the internet, it would be much appreciated.

Still trying to think of somewhere for an evening meal/theatre too... there's nothing appropriate on anywhere :(

kayzee

Hi yeah I've actually come across Hyde Hall myself this morning it does look very nice. Mentioned at work and seems to be recommended well!

Also found a theatre called Mercury in Colchester, and although they don't have anything on the right time, there's something in a couple of weeks that looks good. Anyone been there before?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Yandros

There are two premier gardens in Essex, if your mum is a keen gardener, RHS Hyde Hall (see link above), and Beth Chatto's gardens near Colchester.

The Beth Chatto Gardens

Beth Chatto certainly has a nice tea room for a light lunch, and Hyde Hall has both tea room and restaurant. Beth Chatto's gardens also has a huge nursery where you can buy almost every plant growing in the gardens, so it's a real mecca for gardeners. My mum never passes up a chance to go there when she comes to visit. She also really liked Hyde Hall (has a little garden centre, but nowhere near as good).

A couple nice places to eat in west essex are:

if you want something informal with really good traditional food

The Olde Dog Inn at Herongate - A Classic Country Pub & Restaurant - Home

and if she likes Italian....

La Bicicletta

37 Station Rd,
West Horndon,
Brentwood.
Essex.
CM13 3TL.

Telephone Number(s) :
01277 811697

We've eaten at both loads of times (both are where we take clients for nice lunches for example)

Yandros

Hi yeah I've actually come across Hyde Hall myself this morning it does look very nice. Mentioned at work and seems to be recommended well!

Also found a theatre called Mercury in Colchester, and although they don't have anything on the right time, there's something in a couple of weeks that looks good. Anyone been there before?

Cheers :thumbsup:

If you're going to be out Colchester way in the evening...Beth Chatto for sure :thumbsup:

kayzee

and if she likes Italian....

La Bicicletta

37 Station Rd,
West Horndon,
Brentwood.
Essex.
CM13 3TL.

Telephone Number(s) :
01277 811697

We've eaten at both loads of times (both are where we take clients for nice lunches for example)

Thanks, I need to start thinking about resturants too. Anywhere decent in Chelmsford to eat? I guess I wouldn't need to book for three people on a weekday night? Haven't really done much of this type of thing as you can probably tell :D

brw, me and mum are both vegetarians!

Yandros

Thanks, I need to start thinking about resturants too. Anywhere decent in Chelmsford to eat? I guess I wouldn't need to book for three people on a weekday night? Haven't really done much of this type of thing as you can probably tell :D

brw, me and mum are both vegetarians!

Can't help you much with centre of Chelmsford. Closest nice restaurant I've been to is Little Hammonds is Ingatestone, but that was years ago, and I don't know how good the vegi options might be. If you typically are a bit underwhelmed with vegetarian options when eating out, La Bicicletta is worth the extra distance, as I'd guess Alberto could do a great vegetarian selection particularly if you specified it in advance and it's a quiet weekday.

shodan

Distinguished Member
Whereabouts in Essex are you? Its a big place!

t72bogie

We used to live in Brentwood for 10 years

our fave restaurant is the Blue Strawberry at Hatfield Peveral, just off the A12 a couple of junctions eastbound of Chelmsford

highly recommended, not expensive, just high quality, nice friendly atmosphere, ideal for your occasion and where I would go myself for birthdays and such like :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom