Something's come loose inside my 360!

Barry the Brave

After moving my 360 yesterday I noticed a very distinct rattle coming from inside it, as if a screw or something small had come loose. Before this it's been sat in the same spot for months so I don't know how long it has had a rattle. It seems to work alright though, the occasional 360 hiccup aside. Anyone else had this? Should I be worried about stray bits of metal possibly shorting things out, etc?

andersonshatch

It might just be the orientation sensor - its a little ball that allows the console to know whether it is vertical or horizontal (so the controller lights are correct on the ring of light)

Josh

Barry the Brave

You know what that was my first thought but I assumed the orientation sensor was more advanced than a pendulum type thing. Sweet if that's all it is I'm pretty happy. Thanks.

Barry the Brave

Nice one cheers guys.

Zzebedee

The speed the fans have to work to keep the damn console cool, its probably one of them spun off :eek:

way to look on the bright side there geoff :rotfl:
my vote goes for the orientation wotnot as well

AngryDamo

Standard Member
Having striped many 360s for different reasons from 3RL to cosmetic changes i can state categoricaly there is no such thing as a pendulum or orientation ball in the 360, where did this idea come from i've seen this more than once on 360 forums ?

Anyway, if this is a rattle which has developed after moving the 360, i would suggest it is most likely that in moving the 360 the clamp which holds the rear fans in place has become slightly mis-alinged causing the fans to clip part of the bracket which holds them in place.

This happens quite alot when you replace the stock 360 fans with aftermarket fans, and it's not a big deal if it is this and it doesn't bother u that much, a tight squeeze at the back of the 360 may or may not be enough to fix the problem.

As a quick diagnosis turn it off and give it a shake and see if the rattle only appears when it's turned on.

If it rattles when turned off something has possibly come loose which is best repaired as it may be only a matter of time before it causes a more serious problem such as a short or more serious hardware failure, there isn't that much internally to come loose from the 360, but it could be potential dangerous if by whatever reason something has.

G

gster

ive also took a 360 apart and there is a small ball type thing at the end of a bit of plastic (the orientation thing that has been mentioned was what i thought it was when i seen it) attached to the mobo, now when i had the mobo completly outta the case the rattle i had was coming from that little thing, so id say your safe if the rattle is coming from that. lets face it we dont really shake our 360 when there on as they seem to be fragile enough without shakin em.

TEVEZ032

Banned
Having striped many 360s for different reasons from 3RL to cosmetic changes i can state categoricaly there is no such thing as a pendulum or orientation ball in the 360, where did this idea come from i've seen this more than once on 360 forums ?

Anyway, if this is a rattle which has developed after moving the 360, i would suggest it is most likely that in moving the 360 the clamp which holds the rear fans in place has become slightly mis-alinged causing the fans to clip part of the bracket which holds them in place.

This happens quite alot when you replace the stock 360 fans with aftermarket fans, and it's not a big deal if it is this and it doesn't bother u that much, a tight squeeze at the back of the 360 may or may not be enough to fix the problem.

As a quick diagnosis turn it off and give it a shake and see if the rattle only appears when it's turned on.

If it rattles when turned off something has possibly come loose which is best repaired as it may be only a matter of time before it causes a more serious problem such as a short or more serious hardware failure, there isn't that much internally to come loose from the 360, but it could be potential dangerous if by whatever reason something has.

Are you sure?

Both my 360s rattle in exactly the same way. always assumed it was the sensor thingy.

g

CounterWhine

If anyone plans to shake their 360 when it's on, I suggest they remove any disks from the DVD drive and unclip the hard disk too.

cheapest region free games on the net...
You might want to edit your sig. Promoting other sites in sigs is frowned upon by the management.

Zzebedee

Ignore angrydamo, he knows not of what he speaks. There IS the orientation wotnot and it's present in all 360s. I noticed the rattle on mine straight out of the box, went on an xbox techie forum (a well known modding scene site where people who strip these things down professionally hang out) and there it was in their FAQ

AngryDamo

Standard Member
Ignore angrydamo, he knows not of what he speaks. There IS the orientation wotnot and it's present in all 360s. I noticed the rattle on mine straight out of the box, went on an xbox techie forum (a well known modding scene site where people who strip these things down professionally hang out) and there it was in their FAQ

Really, silly me. If i've missed something i'm quite prepared to hold my hands up, so perhaps you can be so kind as to enlighten me as to where this orientation dongle hangs out, why not post a link to these professionals. The next time i'm working on a 360 i'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

BTW in giving the 360 a shake i meant for it to be turned off and a gentle shake to see if the rattle is still present.

Ol!ver

Both my cores did this, and I too assumed it was the orientation thingy. If both mine did it, and everyone else's does it, I think it's safe to assume nothing's wrong. ;)

craig777

My 360 has this little rattle too - been there since the moment I took it out of the box.

I posted a similar question asking about the rattle and got the same replies as stated here... it's the orientation sensor.

AngryDamo

Standard Member
If it's just a little rattle i would go along with everyone else and not worry about it as all 360s do give off a faint rattle, due to it's construction. If there is infact an orientation dongle, maybe i've missed but i have yet to come across one, so if anyone has anymore info on this i'd love to read it.

Barry the Brave

Found it! From Microsoft Help and Support site:

Xbox 360: Console lights do not change orientation when you change the console orientation

1. Restart the Xbox 360 console.
2. Disconnect any accessories and cables, and any wired or wireless controllers.
3. Gently rock the console from its horizontal to it’s vertical orientation, and then back to horizontal 1 or 2 times. You should hear a faint clicking sound inside the console. Reconnect all cables and accessories, and test the system again.
4. If these steps do not resolve the issue, contact Xbox Customer Service.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907592

Thanks all! Guess I should have googled it first :rolleyes:

TEVEZ032

Banned
Found it! From Microsoft Help and Support site:

Xbox 360: Console lights do not change orientation when you change the console orientation

1. Restart the Xbox 360 console.
2. Disconnect any accessories and cables, and any wired or wireless controllers.
3. Gently rock the console from its horizontal to it’s vertical orientation, and then back to horizontal 1 or 2 times. You should hear a faint clicking sound inside the console. Reconnect all cables and accessories, and test the system again.
4. If these steps do not resolve the issue, contact Xbox Customer Service.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907592

Thanks all! Guess I should have googled it first :rolleyes:

Not at all; now we all know the facts and others can search on their favourite forum for it...that's why we're all here! :D

g

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom