Something Wicked This Way Comes - Original Motion Picture Score CD Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 12th May 2009
After the recent release of the long-awaited Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, this is yet more gold for Horner fans.

The combination of Bradbury, Clayton, a sinister Jonathan Pryce and a host of creepy spiders had a supreme effect on the composer and enabled him to produce some of his best work. With menace, mystery and mayhem aplenty, it is marvellous that he found the time to create such wistful Americana, as well. The two ends of the spectrum shouldn't normally fit so snugly together, but Horner meshes the sweetly mundane with the wondrously magical with consummate ease. His music for the film lifts it to another level, although I would still love to hear what Delerue came up with in the first place.

Much of the typical Horner sound is present in this score, but you can hear the evolution of a couple of his favourite motifs and, possibly, the beginnings of a warmer approach to his composing. Intrada's relationship with him seems to be growing stronger too, which is reflected in the time and effort that went into producing this album – and this can only mean bigger and better things to come.

Although there is plenty of mischief and malevolence in this score, don't be put off by the title, folks – for ordering this ensures that Something wonderful, your way comes.

Read the full review...

eiren

Distinguished Member
Such a great film, and a cracking soundtrack (I still want to hear what the original soundtrack sounded like).

I cannot believe this film still hasn't even been released over here yet. It's criminal really.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom