1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something weird going on with Alien quadrilogy

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by frodobaggins, Oct 20, 2003.

1. frodobaggins

frodobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something suspicious is in the air...

There's been no announcement on the R1 release of the AQ - no online stores have it available to buy.

I ordered the R2 box set from Amazon, but now, according to the latest issue of DVD Review, the Alien 3 workprint no longer appears to be included.

I don't know what Fox is up to, but this stinks of 'rush out a watered down version onto R2 before XMAS'. The Alien 3 workprint is the only major reason for me buying this set, and if it appears on the R1 release only, I will not be best pleased.

Please tell me I'm not being paranoid...

2. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chris from the dvddebate says
    "Fox UK have stated that they will not be releasing their PR for the Quadrilogy until November 15th"

so be patient

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,978
    There is a world wide embargo at the moment on all details for this title, infact one online news site was told to take down some box art because it breached what Fox wanted.

4. TarPot

TarPot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    On the BBFC website. They do list a 15 rating for a version of ALIEN 3 - SPECIAL EDITION FEATURE that runs 138m 51s. This was Classified 17 September, 2003. Maybe just maybe..... If there isn't an extended cut of this movie I won't be getting the boxset.

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bit late for many of us to worry about what is and isn't included - mine's been on preorder since April. Is 12/12 firmed up as the release date?

6. richdmx

richdmx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The R2 seems to have a release date, but i havent seen one for the R1??

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I ordered mine in April from DVD soon for $75.96. The price has gone up since then, but it's been available to order right through. The release date is stated as 12/12/03. I have to say, DVD Soon were one of the only R1 retailers to have it available to order so soon, but I've seen it on other R1 sites more recently.

I'm also slightly worried about which version of Alien 3 will be included, but we'll just have to wait until Fox make the announcements.

8. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was pre-ordered for $68.98 (just over 31 quid:D ) in mid May:smashin:

9. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    I spoke to someone involved in the design/promo side on another forum and he sent me this pic of the R2 set....

[​IMG]

no names as he'll get a good kicking from his boss;) but it looks like 8 discs to me rather than 9.

www.thedigitalbits.com have just published their book that involves a big section on the development of the quadrilogy R1 9 disc set. They've a link somewhere on their site to a review of the book that discusses stuff about Alien 3.

off topic.... heres a promo pic for Aliens vs Predator that goes into production in Prague in the new year from the same source...

[​IMG]

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    not conslussive on the 8/9 discs what behind the last 1 in the picture? could be writing stuff :boo: or it could be another disc :hoorah: (sadly I think you may be right though)

11. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    anyway, further to what I said about the digital bits and their book, this is lifted off their site re their book...

Part III - Inside the Alien Quadrilogy

We take a look at the hard work involved in putting together a great DVD special edition. Our friends at Twentieth Century Fox have allowed us to go behind-the-scenes on the making of their forthcoming, 9-disc Alien Quadrilogy special edition box set. We've done an extensive, in-depth interview with DVD producer Charles de Lauzirika, in which you'll learn about the process of producing, the exciting and never-before-seen extras included on the set, the participation of the actors, directors and other talent, and the creation of new special edition versions of the films. You'll also learn about the effort to reconstruct the original cut of Alien³, and the new special effects work that was required to finish deleted scenes for Alien, Alien³ and Alien: Resurrection. And that's just for starters. We also interview Alien director Ridley Scott, reveal interesting production facts and stats, take you behind-the-scenes on a typical audio commentary session with cast members and more. This section also features all-new, behind-the-scenes photos of the work and those involved.

so the R1's still as we expect it to be, not that this sheds any light on the R2 though.

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
  13. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    that's def. 9 discs:
    look at the right hand side of the plastic holders. that holder on the right is about twice as thick as the one on the left. hence this is not a completely "unfolded" pack and the 9tzh disc is hidden under that 8th one.

still not sure if I should get this set.

HTH

14. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Rambo John J - I've seen 2 other pictures of the r2 set which clearly showed 9 DVD's laid out in front of the packaging - they were on the DVD Times site but Fox asked for them to be removed. I can't believe that Fox would spend so much time/money on a new cut of Alien 3 (inc. newly produced FX; music score re-mix,etc.) and then restrict its release to just one territory. Stranger things have happened though, I suppose.

One thing that is disappointing/frustrating is that Fox insisted on last minute cuts to the documentary material for Alien 3, removing much of the apparently brutally honest and up front comments by certain cast/crew members of what really went on during that rather stormy production. The edits have castrated the A3 docs so much, that Charles de Lauzirika has taken his name off the credits. Shame on you Fox. I got this info from the thread over at Home Theater Forums - it's a huge thread, but worth reading.

frodobaggins - As far any 'news'/rumours printed in DVD Review, I'd take 'em with a huge grain of salt! I used to buy that mag regularly, but got fed up with the increasingly lazy journalism. I know that it's impossible for print media to be as up to the minute as the net, but I've read stuff in that mag that had been discounted 6-8 weeks earlier on various DVD web sites. The text of their DVD reviews often contradicted the final scores awarded to the DVD, too.

I've got a feeling that Fox will make an official announcement around the time of the Alien DC theatrical release, or maybe just after.

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    well, according to the extremely long thread crazyhorse mentions over a HTF (nearly 50 pages:eek: ) the 138 minutes definitely ties in with David Finchers "directors cut", there's an interview buried on the thread in which Fincher himself says his finished version of the film was 2hr 17 minutes long = 137 minutes... that's what the BBFC have classified... and then Fox started forcing him to make cut after cut after cut, losing a massive amount of gore and several subplots along the way.
    It looks on the surface that we're getting the reassembled "directors cut" of Alien 3, which makes me think if we're getting that why lose the theatrical version if both are included for all the other films?

that packshot still looks like 8 discs to me, but I'm not about to panic yet. There's bound to be an announcement around the time of the Alien re-release anyway. If things go pearshaped with the R2 then I'll just cancel my order...

16. Makaveli

Makaveli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Linkage to that thread on HTF?

17. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...eadid=121563&perpage=30&display=&pagenumber=1

the thread was started at the beginning of the year though, so a lot at the start of the thread is speculation until "hard facts" started to come through later on.
    It seems, according to the specs listed in the thread, that there's only dts on 2 of the 4 films on the R1 set - Alien and Alien Resurrection.

Until Fox make an official announcement I don't suppose there'll be concrete confirmation on any of the details posted therein

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps the lenght of both Aliens and Alien3 special edition made it impossible to fit DTS and commentary tracks on i hope this isnt true id like DTS on em all.

19. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    how about the commentry in dts? :)

20. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS 2 channel and why not.

21. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Same ere,

The Dts was one of the reason's i was buying the set. Aliens is my fave one and i would be gutted if there was no dts on it. They be able to fit it on pretty easy.

22. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    For those who can't be bothered to search through the whole HTF thread, here are some details of the contents of the Quad Set that are printed in the new 'Digital Bits: Insider's Guide to DVD' book. For those who don't know, The Digital Bits have exclusively been following the production of this set for months and have devoted around 40 pages of their book to it, so you can pretty much take the following info to be factual - at least as far as the R1 set is concerned.

The following breakdown - which I have edited & compiled from 3 posts - was posted by Jim C (I have the Digital Bits book on order from Amazon but I'm still awaiting its arrival, otherwise I would have posted my own comments. I'm sure Jim C won't mind, though)....

Jim C -

just received 'the book' today.

Alien 3 fans rejoice!!

Now, before I go on about A3, there are no more details on the specs that we don't already know - everything that has been listed on the bbfc site is it (in terms of specs).

The whole issue with the legacy doc not being included in this new set is discussed, and after reading it, I wouldn't go and start to blame the producer for it not being included. Charlie makes it very clear that he wanted it to form part of the set, but Fox had the final say.

You will also learn that Charlie conducted many interviews for Alien 3 in which he intended to give us a documentary that gave us a proper account of the problems encountered with the whole Alien 3 production. It seems that Fox decided to make several cuts to this documentary in the interests of protecting the studio, and Charlie has since taken his name off of the credits of this documentary.

Now the big news for all us Alien 3 fans out there - the new 2hr 30min cut will really be the original assembly of the movie - including all the Oxen footage, Clements on the morning watch, the super-facehugger and the original Ox-burster footage. It will also contain (presumably) all the additional footage seen in the 'bootleg' cut (with the exception of the 'Spike' scenes). Man, this is the best news I could want to hear - not only do we get the theatrical version with the dog-burster scenes, but we get the original version with the Oxen scenes. I really thought that the Ox stuff would be presented as deleted material in the extras section.

The book also confirms that Alien 3 and Aliens will not have DTS due to space reasons.

Another thing, and I could have been reading this wrong, is that the book mentions that it isn't Terry Rawlings that has re-edited Alien 3 - could be wrong here as I have literally read the book and come and posted this. The book says something along the lines of Charlie's own editor has done the duties for us. (It's confirmed later in the HTF thread that Rawlings didn't do the edit himself, but was consulted throughout its assembly - CrazyHorse)

What really comes out of this, is that Charlie's whole motivation for doing the Quad set was for Alien 3 - he mentions this more than once. God bless you CDL!

Oh and I forget to mention - more than 30 effects shots have been created for the new set. The book says 8, maybe 10 of them are for Alien 3!!

another few bits and bobs:

there will be NO Carter Burke Cocooned scene anywhere - Cameron intends this will NEVER be seen....Charlie did his best for us.

Cameron has recorded a commentary for Aliens.

Alien 3 commentary should include - Terry Rawlings, Richard Edland, Alic Gillis, Tom Woodruff Jr., Paul McGann, Lance Henricksen and more!

The new cut of Alien 3 will be presented to us PRIOR to any of the additional reshoots in LA. It is intended to represent Fincher's original vision, but Fincher has had absolutely NO input into this project. In fact, there is a funny Fincher story about the screening of the new cut for the DVD production team.....

The new cut of Alien 3 is not meant to represent a better cut - anything but - it's to give us an insight as to what the film looked like before the hacking started.

The new cut of Alien was going to included ALL the deleted material - in fact, it had been cut together and completed (by the sounds of it), but Ridley had a last minute change of heart. Some of the deleted scenes on the extras disc will have 5.1 sound because of this. Some of the deleted footage for Alien will have never been seen before!!

There has been SFX enhancements for Alien - most will not notice it, just composites and starfield enhancements.

Both Fincher and Jeunet gave the team permission to 'do what they wanted' with the extended cuts, just not allow them to be called 'Director's cuts'.

The new opening and ending for Resurrection are new SFX shots. The opening shot is a MASSIVE pull out from the cockpit of the Auriga that eventually reveals the mighty ship itself. The new ending show's Call & Ripley on Earth amidst a spaceship graveyard in a post apocalyptic Paris. It sounds like the new opening shot may included some pre-vis work as it would have cost too much money otherwise.

More than 80 people have been interviewed for the new set!

The set took 1 year to create (mid-summer 2002 - 2003).

40 people contribute to the commentaries for all 4 films.

All the extra material (documentaries) on the 2nd discs for each film can be viewed in a 'play all' mode.

More than 10,000 still images will be used throughout the extra's for all 4 films.

Charlie has managed to find so much additional, never-before-seen material for Alien - much of it from Ridley's own private collection.

There was close to 200 boxes of outtake footage to look through for Alien 3 alone.

Charlie did write a letter to Fincher asking him to participate.

Cameron's commentary track only happened at the last minute.

The Super-facehugger will only be seen in a long shot.

Alien 3 will feature a new CGI 'bambi-burster' coming out of the Ox, as well as some new Digital Matte paintings for the exterior of Fury 161 and some new creature SFX.

Omissions from the new Alien DC are:

Dallas' final talk with Mother
    Ripley's conversation with Ash about running the Alien transmission through ECIU and other trims here and there.

The book makes no mention of Giger's Alien as an extra - that's not to say it isn't part of the package, or at least truncated throughout the various documentaries. The specs are listed as titled on the BBFC. The only difference is that we have titles for the 'play all' documentaries.

For instance, Alien's 'play all' feature is called, 'THE BEAST WITHIN'. Aliens is called 'SUPERIOR FIREPOWER', Alien 3's is called 'THE MAKING OF ALIEN 3' and resurrections is, 'ONE STEP BEYOND: THE MAKING OF ALIEN RESURRECTION'. All these headings break down into the stuff the BBFC has posted and what you have listed on your breakdown.

Both the Bob Burns feature and Ridley Scott Q & A are on the 9th disc, not disc 2 of the Alien set. All the teasers, trailers and TV spots also appear on the 9th disc. In addition, the 9th disc also hosts the following:

The complete Alien & Aliens LD archives
    The Alien Evolution doc
    Alien 1979 promotional featurette called 'Experience in Terror'
    Alien 3 preview featurette
    Gallery of Dark Horse Comics Artwork
    DVD rom script to screen comparisons

As for the rest of the supplements, I don't see anything that has been omitted from the BBFC list.