1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something very interesting about contrast

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by phillfyspoon, May 13, 2005.

1. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  2. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that interesting and it got me thinking. If the greyscale is extremely non linear and the plasma becomes effectively unlit at black that would give a very high contrast ratio. But in reality, the greyscale non-linearity near black could be very poor so we'd be seeing soot and whitewash instead of smooth grey gradation.

Tubes with matched gamma on the gun outputs can be quite linear, but plasmas are intrinsically on or off so it should be easy to get big contrast ratio numbers, but at the expense of linearity. The other thing about this, is the contrast ratio number may be big, but it doesn't qualify the noise level at black. I'd like to see the greyscale linearity and noise published alongside the contrast ratio performance - or did I miss something?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The sony numbers are a big surprise to me, I have seen one of these beside a Panasonic, and the difference in black level is 100% obvious, the sony uses NEC glass, glows like the very fires of hell, but little in the way of what we commonly call black. Very like a Pioneer MXE or XDE. Did my eyes decieve me to that extent? If so I think I need a brain surgeon, not an optician.