Something to replace my Tivo

theVoong

Standard Member
I am finally caving in to pressure from the good lady wife to reduce the box count. I am looking for a PVR to replace my modified Tivo. It must have at least 2 digital tuners (simultaneous recording of two programmes), a third for extra viewing whilst recording two channels would be a bonus. It must also have component or HDMI out, EPG with series link and a user interface as intuitive as the Tivo (a tough one, I know).

Any suggestions? :confused:

The Topfield TF5810 looks like a candidate when it's released...

crammedin

I am finally caving in to pressure from the good lady wife to reduce the box count. I am looking for a PVR to replace my modified Tivo. It must have at least 2 digital tuners (simultaneous recording of two programmes), a third for extra viewing whilst recording two channels would be a bonus. It must also have component or HDMI out, EPG with series link and a user interface as intuitive as the Tivo (a tough one, I know).

I think so. It should be available soon. Check out toppy.org.uk for behind the scenes news and indsider information on the version with HDMI.

DrD787

I've got Tivo, Humax 9200 and most recently Virgin+. If you have access to V+ then in my opinion it's a better option for replacing the Tivo than the 9200. Basically, the two features I feel I must have after living with Tivo for 7 years are Series Link (Season Pass) and autopadding. The problem with the Humax at the moment is that those options are mutually exclusive. Also, V+ gives access to HD content, and does a darn good job of upscaling SD content to a HD TV.

theVoong

Standard Member
Sadly V+ is not an option where I live. I have also fallen out with Sky, so that's no good!

I believe that the TF5810 will have series link (also a must for me) but I'm not too bothered about auto padding - I find that most things run about on time and I can manually set those that don't.

crammedin

it doesnt have HDMI or componant so thats why the next toppy should do the trick when released. The op could might find the Wharfedale at Argos a temptation as you could buy two and a unitveral remote for the price of the toppy. But look at the posts on forums. There was an OTA update for those planned for late January aparantly so people are going to be keeping an eye on it to see if it fixes any of the bugs users have been talking about.

DrD787

it doesnt have HDMI or componant so thats why the next toppy should do the trick when released. The op could might find the Wharfedale at Argos a temptation as you could buy two and a unitveral remote for the price of the toppy. But look at the posts on forums. There was an OTA update for those planned for late January aparantly so people are going to be keeping an eye on it to see if it fixes any of the bugs users have been talking about.

I overlooked the OP's requirement of HDMI. However, if he's talking about a FV PVR what's the point of needing HDMI ?

Tinderbox (UK)

Hi.

If you have a good quality HDTV sony,pansonic,samsung, ect, you dont need an HDMI socket, as all inputs are upscaled and enhanced by the TV, much better than are upscaled in a standard PVR or DVD player.

regards

John.

Mike-M

Hi.

If you have a good quality HDTV sony,pansonic,samsung, ect, you dont need an HDMI socket, as all inputs are upscaled and enhanced by the TV, much better than are upscaled in a standard PVR or DVD player.

regards

John.

Could be that he wants to route it throught an AV Amp?

theVoong

Standard Member
A bit of all of the above :)

I find that my Pioneer PDP-434HDE is not brilliant at upscaling, so I tend to leave that to the DVD player. And, yes I'm out of scart conections, but replacing two freeview tuners will free one up so that problem should go away. But, more importantly, looking at the age of my plasma (4 years) I am planning on replacing it in 2-3 years. By then I think that most plasmas will have 3 or 4 HDMI ports but only 1 or 2 scart sockets. So the answer is future proofing :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom