Something to play all my media inc 4K movies

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I’m looking for something that will play the 800+ movies I have sat on an external harddrive and present them in a nice format.

I’m currently using a 2016 top spec Mac mini that has the 3.ghz i7 processor option.

This has then just been running Plex which I really like.

However as I’ve been downloading more and more 4K movies, my Mac, and/or Plex just don’t cut it.

There’s frequent stuttering. Everything else plays fine.

I don’t need streaming or anything like that, I just want to play the file I have on my external harddrive that I’ve already downloaded and for it to play on my tv.

My tv is a 75” Samsung ks8000

Any ideas?

Nvidia Shield will do just about everything you need, use Kodi to play back content from the HDD plugged in via USB. You can even share out USB HDD to copy new content to it over the network. Kodi has skins so you can change it around to look whatever best for you.

The nice Apple option is the AppleTV 4K where you can use Plex, InFuse or MrMC (Kodi off-shoot) to play content back however the ATV has no USB HDD support so you will need a NAS.

The Samsung TV should have a Plex app in it's app portal have you tried using that in conjunction with the Plex server on your Mac ? (the TV may fair better network speed permitting).

You should also have a look in HERE at the Zidoo, Zappiti and Dune 4K ranges, they can play just about anything and can scan all your content and present it in a poster wall etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom