Something that ticks most boxes around £500

Ddtdman

Novice Member
I'm looking for something very similar to you. Can I ask why you didnt wait for Black Friday/cyber Monday? I guess maybe thats a good enough deal anyway

Do let us know what its like when you get tit
I figured the biggest drops have already happened and looking at the history of prices it has never ever been as low as Costco are currently offering.

Price trackers show a low of 480 back in September, but doesn't give an indication of where that was from or the condition of the unit (I am assuming a used unit due to the blip in the tracker and pretty random time for the lowest price).

Not to mention my initial idea of getting Richer Sounds to match went down the pan as they have no stock, so figured for a deal that is only to last a few days, i am better jumping on it. At the end of the day you have a return window if something comes up substantially cheaper elsewhere and you wanted to play it that way. Not exactly the most genuine approach, but if you were fussed over a few quid i suppose it could be done.

And i will do, i am sure i will be more than happy!

robodelfy

Novice Member
I figured the biggest drops have already happened and looking at the history of prices it has never ever been as low as Costco are currently offering.

Price trackers show a low of 480 back in September, but doesn't give an indication of where that was from or the condition of the unit (I am assuming a used unit due to the blip in the tracker and pretty random time for the lowest price).

Not to mention my initial idea of getting Richer Sounds to match went down the pan as they have no stock, so figured for a deal that is only to last a few days, i am better jumping on it. At the end of the day you have a return window if something comes up substantially cheaper elsewhere and you wanted to play it that way. Not exactly the most genuine approach, but if you were fussed over a few quid i suppose it could be done.

And i will do, i am sure i will be more than happy!
Thanks, yeah often its not the worth the time and effort to save a few quid anyway

What made you choose this model then instead of going for one of the cheaper Hisense models on Dodges list? There are ones for nearly £100 cheaper, I'm not exactly sure what they are lacking

The only worry I have with the one you bought is motion handling, from the reviews I read...I never thought buying a TV would be so confusing:)

Ddtdman

Novice Member
Thanks, yeah often its not the worth the time and effort to save a few quid anyway

What made you choose this model then instead of going for one of the cheaper Hisense models on Dodges list? There are ones for nearly £100 cheaper, I'm not exactly sure what they are lacking

The only worry I have with the one you bought is motion handling, from the reviews I read...I never thought buying a TV would be so confusing:)
Yeah, i would much rather have the comfort of knowing i am getting the TV than risking not getting it waiting for the possibility, and unlikely event, that i would save a few quid in a few days time.

Really it was based on the guide and the responses from Dodge. The peak brightness of 700 nits and local dimming is something that is not included in any of the cheaper sets, plus Dodge has said it sits heads above any of the other cheaper models mentioned. So for the sake of £100, i would much rather a TV that seems to sit at the top of the pack by quite a large margin!

With regards to motion, from what i gathered in the responses from Dodge, it's not a night and day difference between the hisense and any of the other sets. Yes, some may offer better motion but in the grand scheme, at this sort of price range, its not a deal breaker. Not to mention that the others that have better motion also have other negatives (two being not having the peak brightness or the local dimming hisense has).

On top of that I have also had a skim over owners threads who have mentioned that newer firmware updates are fixing/reducing any issues that have been there in the past with motion/various issues, so it seems to be getting better/fixed. Also too, those cheaper sets haven't really had much of a reduction for Black Fri, and realistically if you hated the motion issues on the hisense, you could return it and still pick up the cheaper models for near enough the same!

robodelfy

Novice Member
Yeah, i would much rather have the comfort of knowing i am getting the TV than risking not getting it waiting for the possibility, and unlikely event, that i would save a few quid in a few days time.

Really it was based on the guide and the responses from Dodge. The peak brightness of 700 nits and local dimming is something that is not included in any of the cheaper sets, plus Dodge has said it sits heads above any of the other cheaper models mentioned. So for the sake of £100, i would much rather a TV that seems to sit at the top of the pack by quite a large margin!

With regards to motion, from what i gathered in the responses from Dodge, it's not a night and day difference between the hisense and any of the other sets. Yes, some may offer better motion but in the grand scheme, at this sort of price range, its not a deal breaker. Not to mention that the others that have better motion also have other negatives (two being not having the peak brightness or the local dimming hisense has).

On top of that I have also had a skim over owners threads who have mentioned that newer firmware updates are fixing/reducing any issues that have been there in the past with motion/various issues, so it seems to be getting better/fixed. Also too, those cheaper sets haven't really had much of a reduction for Black Fri, and realistically if you hated the motion issues on the hisense, you could return it and still pick up the cheaper models for near enough the same!
Thanks, yeah that all makes sense.

I just saw it on Costco too, and called Richer sounds in Bristol where I live, and they said they'd price beat it by £10 but including the £15 Costcomebmership. So its £5 more than Costco, but longer warranty and I've always trusted Richer sounds for returns and customer support. Also if you dont renew your Costco membership you can't use your warranty I read

So thanks for your thread it helped me choose. I hope motions not an issue, or viewing angle. It looks like a good TV otherwise. And yeah I doubt it will be reduced more than £100 during Black Friday/cyber Monday, so this is probably the best we'll get

WayfarersAll

Novice Member
Thanks, yeah that all makes sense.

I just saw it on Costco too, and called Richer sounds in Bristol where I live, and they said they'd price beat it by £10 but including the £15 Costcomebmership. So its £5 more than Costco, but longer warranty and I've always trusted Richer sounds for returns and customer support. Also if you dont renew your Costco membership you can't use your warranty I read

So thanks for your thread it helped me choose. I hope motions not an issue, or viewing angle. It looks like a good TV otherwise. And yeah I doubt it will be reduced more than £100 during Black Friday/cyber Monday, so this is probably the best we'll get
Thank you both for posting! I was on the fence about getting the 50U7Q or something else but when I saw this I tried Richer Sounds to see if they still had stock of the 55. They had 7 in the warehouse but not listed on the website at all. Got it for £439.98 after sending them over proof of my costco membership (which I will never use!). Much happier to have it from Richer Sounds anyway.

Cheers guys!

robodelfy

Novice Member
Thank you both for posting! I was on the fence about getting the 50U7Q or something else but when I saw this I tried Richer Sounds to see if they still had stock of the 55. They had 7 in the warehouse but not listed on the website at all. Got it for £439.98 after sending them over proof of my costco membership (which I will never use!). Much happier to have it from Richer Sounds anyway.

Cheers guys!
Nice, mine was £5 more :) I also bought a Tv Bracket from them. Seems like a bargain, and I just cant imagine there being much better deals on this model over Black Friday, but we'll see. Or maybe we shouldn't look!

Hopefully we're all happy with the TV

WayfarersAll

Novice Member
Nice, mine was £5 more :) I also bought a Tv Bracket from them. Seems like a bargain, and I just cant imagine there being much better deals on this model over Black Friday, but we'll see. Or maybe we shouldn't look!

Ha! I must've mis-read and mis quoted the price they gave you. Oh well they were happy to do it, maybe should have quoted less!

No I don't think we'll see a better price and no I shan't look anyway!

Thanks again to Dodge for all advice given. Made a very complicated process much less confusing. :)

Ddtdman

Novice Member

Ha! I must've mis-read and mis quoted the price they gave you. Oh well they were happy to do it, maybe should have quoted less!

No I don't think we'll see a better price and no I shan't look anyway!

Thanks again to Dodge for all advice given. Made a very complicated process much less confusing. :)
I guess the guy a spoke to just didn't fancy selling to me haha (i am yet to even hear back from the promised call back after he checked stock), in all honesty though, i can live with the 5 year warranty vs RS's 6.

Realistically I will be getting something else before the 5 years is up, so I can live with my decision to go with costco (costco is also closer to me than richer sounds in case of a return so that is a bonus).

However, i am glad we all seem happy with the prices and decisions made! You folks may get the TV before me as the delivery isn't the speediest for costco, so you folks may have to let me know how you get on with it!

robodelfy

Novice Member
I guess the guy a spoke to just didn't fancy selling to me haha (i am yet to even hear back from the promised call back after he checked stock), in all honesty though, i can live with the 5 year warranty vs RS's 6.

Realistically I will be getting something else before the 5 years is up, so I can live with my decision to go with costco (costco is also closer to me than richer sounds in case of a return so that is a bonus).

However, i am glad we all seem happy with the prices and decisions made! You folks may get the TV before me as the delivery isn't the speediest for costco, so you folks may have to let me know how you get on with it!
Yeah I think it's down to whoever you speak to at RS. But apparently Costco warranty is better than richer sounds anyway, they will give you a refund or new tv if it breaks, where as RS will try and get it repaired. And if its closer to you, thats better

I'm still a bit concerned about this issue people speak of with this TV and motion.I've read a few comments saying its fixed with a firmware update, but nothing to confirm it

WayfarersAll

Novice Member
Yeah I think it's down to whoever you speak to at RS. But apparently Costco warranty is better than richer sounds anyway, they will give you a refund or new tv if it breaks, where as RS will try and get it repaired. And if its closer to you, thats better

I'm still a bit concerned about this issue people speak of with this TV and motion.I've read a few comments saying its fixed with a firmware update, but nothing to confirm it
I just assumed Richer Sounds warranty would be better for some reason! Shows what I know. Should have just got it from Costco! 😂

Yes I am a bit worried about the motion but I guess we'll find out soon enough. Some other review I saw said it was no worse than any other 60hz va panel, maybe that's rubbish though. Still seems like the best value for money deal at this price though.

robodelfy

Novice Member
Hi guys, idid you get your U7 TVs yet?

I got mine, I just posted this in another thread, what are your thoughts...

I do notice some strange things with the image seemingly related to movement, but its hard to tell. I don't notice it on a lot of scenes, and often it's not worse with faster movement, sometime just someone moving their head a bit whilst talking. It looks like a kind of ghosting effect, almost as if the image is leaving trails slightly. Its hard to describe. Is this the issue people complain about with this TV? If so, is there any remedy?

I read someone saying the update to the latest firmware fixed it, but I have the latest firmware

I've turned off all the image enhancements. The clear motion one claims to remove trails left by movement, but then it gives that horrible soap opera effect where everything looks fake!

WayfarersAll

Novice Member
I've not set mine up yet. Should do later today.

Doesn't sound too promising! I will report back once I've used it a bit.

Let us know how you get on and if you find a solution!

Ddtdman

Novice Member

I do notice some strange things with the image seemingly related to movement, but its hard to tell. I don't notice it on a lot of scenes, and often it's not worse with faster movement, sometime just someone moving their head a bit whilst talking. It looks like a kind of ghosting effect, almost as if the image is leaving trails slightly. Its hard to describe. Is this the issue people complain about with this TV? If so, is there any remedy?

I read someone saying the update to the latest firmware fixed it, but I have the latest firmware

I've turned off all the image enhancements. The clear motion one claims to remove trails left by movement, but then it gives that horrible soap opera effect where everything looks fake!
I've not set mine up yet. Should do later today.

Doesn't sound too promising! I will report back once I've used it a bit.

Let us know how you get on and if you find a solution!
Mines is due to come Saturday (costco delivery times aren't great).

If you have a look at the owners thread, there is some suggested settings to resolve/better any issues. I've seen some users have issues in certain modes, like one user where the movie picture setting was causing the issue.

I think i seen someone on the user thread mentioned standard works better for motion issues, so may just be a mode/setting you have to play around with. I will report any findings i have once it, hopefully, arrives at the weekend!

WayfarersAll

Novice Member
Got mine setup now and have checked it out. Not really happy with the motion probably going to send it back.

Do you think I should return it as faulty?

Can I still return it as unwanted after removing protective film etc?

Dodgexander

Got mine setup now and have checked it out. Not really happy with the motion probably going to send it back.

I think richer charge a restocking fee if its just a matter of being unhappy. If there's a fault then they are required to exchange or refund it within their return period.

WayfarersAll

Novice Member
I'm not sure there's a fault other than the TV being what it is. If I say there's an issue with the motion which I can't resolve through firmware or settings do you think that would pass as faulty?

Normal return would incur collection charge.

Ddtdman

Novice Member

Got mine set up on the Saturday. Changed settings to some recommended on these forums, I forgot what these are off the top of my head, but i am sure its in the owners thread for the u7q and i can't say i have had anything worth returning it for.

The occasional bit of ghosting, but if you are immersed enough in what you are watching, it shouldn't be noticeable.

My viewing time has been minimal, but tried both an action and comedy flick on netflix, some 4k/hdr on prime and some Disney+ (just skipping into content for prime and disney to check quality) and other than the above occasional ghosting, nothing worth complaining about for £440.

SD freeview is meh at best, but HD channels looks brilliant too and much like my app viewing, just a bit of occasional ghosting. However, like i said, minimal viewing so there is still time for issues to arise.

Worth nothing the Mrs has watched plenty of garbage TV since Saturday and she hasn't complained once or brought up any issues...

WayfarersAll

Novice Member
The motion I've remedied a bit. I turned off all the motion settings globally when I set it up but when I was testing some Netflix content it changed to a dolby vision preset with with the motion soap opera nastiness on. So that's OK. Still some ghosting etc but I can live with that.

But there are other issues. On the dolby vision presets there is horrible light bleeding around the edges of the screen. Really off putting. Not possible to turn off dolby vision when on Netflix content. On standard picture the light bleed is not there.

Not that impressed with the picture overall. Using the settings mentioned above but tweaked a bit. Menus are quite blurry and that seems to extend to the picture in general. It's OK I guess but nothing more.

I'll see how I get in anyway.

Ddtdman

Novice Member
The motion I've remedied a bit. I turned off all the motion settings globally when I set it up but when I was testing some Netflix content it changed to a dolby vision preset with with the motion soap opera nastiness on. So that's OK. Still some ghosting etc but I can live with that.

But there are other issues. On the dolby vision presets there is horrible light bleeding around the edges of the screen. Really off putting. Not possible to turn off dolby vision when on Netflix content. On standard picture the light bleed is not there.

Not that impressed with the picture overall. Using the settings mentioned above but tweaked a bit. Menus are quite blurry and that seems to extend to the picture in general. It's OK I guess but nothing more.

I'll see how I get in anyway.
I can't say i have noticed any issues with netflix, but i have to be honest and say i don't have the 4k package, so my experience may or may not be the same as yours as any content i watch stays in the standard mode, unless i am missing something?

I also can't say my menus or anything are blurry, do you have a picture to show this just to see if i am being dim? Is it a settings issue or perhaps a faulty panel that's causing the blurriness?

I certainly don't have any light bleed either...but that may be because my netflix content is HD rather than 4k? I certainly didn't notice any on 'The Expanse' in whatever picture mode it defaulted to on prime anyways.

For circa £400, not sure what else could be better?

WayfarersAll

Novice Member
I can't say i have noticed any issues with netflix, but i have to be honest and say i don't have the 4k package, so my experience may or may not be the same as yours as any content i watch stays in the standard mode, unless i am missing something?

I also can't say my menus or anything are blurry, do you have a picture to show this just to see if i am being dim? Is it a settings issue or perhaps a faulty panel that's causing the blurriness?

I certainly don't have any light bleed either...but that may be because my netflix content is HD rather than 4k? I certainly didn't notice any on 'The Expanse' in whatever picture mode it defaulted to on prime anyways.

For circa £400, not sure what else could be better?
No I don't have 4k Netflix just standard. I found that it was program dependant. If the program is compatible with dolby vision the TV locks to that mode and you get this horrible light bleed at the TV edges. Tried to photograph it but it's more obvious in person.

The blurriness is apparent browsing any menu or looking through Netflix etc or main TV menu and front end. All text looks fuzzy and images look low res. Doesn't look good.

What's better for this price? I don't know. But I would much prefer a smaller screen over this because at least then you don't notice quality issues as much. Coming from a smaller screen I had expected a large 4k display to be crisp and clear. But this is not the case.

Maybe I am expecting too much!

Also can't get it to detect a USB hdd with movies on.

DSC_0764.JPG
DSC_0767.JPG
DSC_0769.JPG
DSC_0761.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Ddtdman

Novice Member
No I don't have 4k Netflix just standard. I found that it was program dependant. If the program is compatible with dolby vision the TV locks to that mode and you get this horrible light bleed at the TV edges. Tried to photograph it but it's more obvious in person.

The blurriness is apparent browsing any menu or looking through Netflix etc or main TV menu and front end. All text looks fuzzy and images look low res. Doesn't look good.

What's better for this price? I don't know. But I would much prefer a smaller screen over this because at least then you don't notice quality issues as much. Coming from a smaller screen I had expected a large 4k display to be crisp and clear. But this is not the case.

Maybe I am expecting too much!

Also can't get it to detect a USB hdd with movies on.

View attachment 1418119View attachment 1418121View attachment 1418123View attachment 1418122
Strange, I don't seem to even get the dolby vision/hdr option on any program on netflix. Tried our planet/lost in space etc and just have standard HD....

Attached an image of in menu on netflix too and don't seem to have an issue with softness/blur on text that I can see. Not sure if you see the same on my images? Apologies, the reflection makes it look like there is some blooming, but just the reflection from the room light/angle of the photo.

Went and tested hdr/dolby vision on prime though as that seems to work. Switched all room lighting off and I don't appear to have the edge bleed either. Perhaps you have a faulty panel/unit?

@Dodgexander any ideas on WayfarersAll panel?

I think for hd/4k your expectations are fair but for SD content it will always be terrible on a bigger screen but your issues seem to be far more than just SD upscaling. Perhaps Dodge can shed some light on your various issues?

Attachments

robodelfy

Novice Member
I don't get an option for Dolby Vision at all? Mine is on Standard, and I have options for cinema night etc.

WayfarersAll

Novice Member
Strange, I don't seem to even get the dolby vision/hdr option on any program on netflix. Tried our planet/lost in space etc and just have standard HD....

Attached an image of in menu on netflix too and don't seem to have an issue with softness/blur on text that I can see. Not sure if you see the same on my images? Apologies, the reflection makes it look like there is some blooming, but just the reflection from the room light/angle of the photo.

Went and tested hdr/dolby vision on prime though as that seems to work. Switched all room lighting off and I don't appear to have the edge bleed either. Perhaps you have a faulty panel/unit?

@Dodgexander any ideas on WayfarersAll panel?

I think for hd/4k your expectations are fair but for SD content it will always be terrible on a bigger screen but your issues seem to be far more than just SD upscaling. Perhaps Dodge can shed some light on your various issues?
I don't get an option for Dolby Vision at all? Mine is on Standard, and I have options for cinema night etc.
It's hard to tell from the pictures you shared but I think yours looks better than mine does. It's really noticeable on mine in all menus and on text especially.

The edge bleed thing is also present on start up screen. It may well be a faulty panel. On the dolby vision stuff it's super noticeable and looks really bad.

Generally the picture on standard is OK but something isn't quite right. That's what I feel anyway.

Robodelfy, yeah the dolby vision presets come on automatically when you select a compatible program. Try the queen's gambit on Netflix. But it is locked in and you can't choose standard or turn it off.

I can't get the TV to pick up usb drive either. Doesn't show on input or in media section.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett