Something that bugs me about DVDO Scalers.

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Display: PWD8
Scaler : VP20

If I'm set for 50Hz output on the scaler, when I switch to a 60Hz input the screen goes blank. And vice versa. I have to manually go and change the output to 'convert' the thing to interpolate everything back into 50Hz and that brings in horrid, juddery motion effects. The screen can accept 720P/1080i at either 50 or 60 Hz without a problem but the scaler doesn't seem to want to pass the framerate on untouched, only converted. And this is a master setting. I can't find a way to preset an output so I can just have a remote sort it out with a Macro. If I switch from a VM box (50Hz, even for the Youtube app, the idiots) to a PC (60Hz), or an R2 DVD to an R1 DVD, the screen goes blank. Does that make sense ? Could it be the panel at fault ?

The DVDO Edge and Duo both do Hz in = Hz out (regardless of resolution, the framerate is passed through with ignorance).

Mike.

I only had an Edge myself, now back to Lumagen with a Mini3D, but there was a setting that allowed the frame rate to be tracked in the Edge, It didn't do it by default IIRC.

I find it remarkable that the VP50 doesn't allow this, though I have heard that VP50 owners got short shrift from DVDO, hence the newer models such as the Edge and the Duo seemed to get all the attention and the VP50 owners left to fend for themselves. IMHO sell it and buy a Lumagen and find out what true customer service is: They even add features via firmware updates to obselete models. I also heard that in a future update my Mini3D will be able to calibrate colour gamut at different levels which will correct displays with linearity issues with colour accuracy.

In the Edge/Duo it's called "1:1 Framerate" but I don't know if my VP20 is passing anything or if it's the TV which is at fault somehow. Being with it HDMI you never really know for sure. Wondered if the signal is there but not being flagged up as it should be (?).

Considering a HDQ if I can find one secondhand and cheapy-cheap. Only really use basic functions, TBH. Might have a word with the venerable Gordon.

Thanks for your help (as ever),
Mike.

Yes, the HDQ is a handy little box, especially if you can work round it's limitiations of DVI inputs/outputs and only 1080/50/60i input (though 1080/24p works on later firmware). Very much more flexible than the Edge was (the reason I went back to Lumagen after the Edge) with alsorts of memory options and input signal dependant processing.

Last time I saw one for sale it was under £200 I believe.

Quote of an AVS post here but the "50 Hz Lock" and "60 Hz Lock" make no difference here: blank screen always results.

One way or an other, I can see myself trying to get an Edge or, finally with fingers-crossed, a Lumagen. Going to be an HDQ or an extremely stupidly cheap Radiance XD though.

Thanks muchly,
Mike.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom