Something here seems a bit dodgy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MontyPS3, Nov 29, 2010.

1. MontyPS3

MontyPS3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Ok so I went to order a PAYG mobile phone. They don't take AMEX so I decided to use my Debit card to pay - Approx £400.

My bank flagged it up and blocked my card, obviously cancelling the order. Called my bank, verified my identity and confirmed I was making a purchase. (I rarely use my debit card for purchases so it was right that it got flagged up)

Anyway placed the order again and it went through fine, but the online store refuse to proccess the order. Spoke to my bank again who said the transaction had gone through and the money is been held for them to just come and claim it but they haven't.
    Speaking to the online store, they keep saying stuff like their security team has held it back because they need to confirm I'm at the address they're sending the phone too. Which is the same address the DC is registered too and the bank has auth the payment.

now they want me to fax over all sorts of ID documents like bill, passport to prove I am who I am!
    Considering this is just a PAYG handset, and the bank has auth the payment and the delivery and billing address match, why do they need my ID documents as well??!!

2. Deadringers

Deadringers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,800
    what's the name of the website?
    would help us :)

3. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    they are just checking that it's a geniune sale and not a fraudulent one. if you don't want to send your ID, ask them to cancel the order, and place an order with another company. or why don't you offer to pay by visa or mastercard, which are more widely accepted than amex?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I tried to renew a domain on Saturday in the magnificant sum of £8 and my credit card was rejected several times with no reason given.

I had a phone call later on from the credit card company telling me that they had a number of problems with this particular host as their systems didn't seem to be secure enough and a number of iffy transactions had been processed by them recently.

Perhaps the cc company didn't trust your supplier

5. MontyPS3

MontyPS3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47

I paid by Visa Debit as they don't accept AMEX!!

6. MontyPS3

MontyPS3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    But according to my post, it's not the bank that's rejecting the transaction! It's the online shop. The money has been authorized and it's just sitting there waiting to be claimed but they refuse to claim it (and despatch my phone) until they receive proof of ID from me!

7. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i meant visa and mastercard credit cards, not debit cards. can't you offer to pay by another credit card?

8. MontyPS3

MontyPS3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Nah just have the one AMEX credit card. But surely for a merchant, a debit card is cheaper for them than a credit card.
    I assume a credit card only benefits the user and not the merchant as the user gets the protection but for the merchant, I think (not sure) it's more expensive, takes longer for them to receive the money or makes no difference!

9. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,023
    Sounds like the store is nervous that you are trying to scam them (I know you aren't). They have seen the first attempt blocked so have probably got it into their heads that you are not the card owner and they don't want to be left in a position without a phone and having the payment refunded to the true owner.

As others have said if you want the phone, you need to show them some ID - the more you refuse, the more fishy the transaction looks to them and the more likely they are to back out.

Whilst it is frustrating for you I can understand where the company are coming from.

Cheers,

Nigel

10. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    my point was that if you paid by credit card they may have processed the sale via the alternate payment method without you having to send ID

11. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,974
    I'm a bit surprised at this. With an online credit c_ard sale, you can normally only get the goods dispatched to the card holder's address, which I've always assumed the seller got from the card company. Perhaps it's different with debit cards.

I suggest you fax them a copy of your latest bank statement, showing your address and the account details (which they have from your debit card already). Blank out all balance figures and all transactions which you don't want them to see, but leave in a couple of harmless ones (council tax, say) just to show willing.

If that's not good enough for them, cancel and walk away.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  12. bjarvis2785

bjarvis2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    mobile phone companies are always a bit iffy when it comes to payment and identification.

I remember having to fax over a copy of my passport once to buy from one company (albeit a contract phone).

I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's a reputable company you're buying from

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,241
    It's pretty normal behaviour actually and especially this time a year when fraud is common. Now they would be dodgy if they had 'claimed' the money and then not release, but they are doing everything correct. I had the same thing with my first purchase with a reputable distributor, I got the email wanting more info, I wasnt at home to do that but wanted the goods, so I phoned them immediately explained kindly that I want it and choose them for next day delivery. And because I spoke to them they authorised it there and then.

Just go for it or order somewhere else.

14. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,716
    Guess who the bank get ratty with even if they have authorised the transfer if it were a dodgy sale? The retailer. They're just covering their own backsides.