1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something for the wife.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by General Skanky, Apr 6, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There is now a photo of the tool my wife now uses to get at our screen in my links below.
    Basically, she is 5'6" and the screen is high up.
    It's simply a broom handle cut in half, varnished with a boat hook screwed onto the end. Total cost £5. She can now do it all including pushing the screen home.

Now, how do I get her to have tea ready when I get home without violent encounters?
    :D

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm going to be attempting to put my screen up tomorrow and any advice would be appreciated. Where did you get that batton from that the screen is mounted on, is it a standard DIY centre item? Also what's that implement being used on the picture where you're looking for the joists? I get the feeling I'm going to have fun tomorrow cos these new houses just aren't built to take any weight, I'm still not sure whether my ceiling is going to take the weight of the projector and mount!

Cheers,
    Andy

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The batton was from B & Q for about £4. I bought it (and left it) way oversize just in case. It wood measuring something like 2" x 3" x 2mtrs. Just checked it was straight in the shop first. It is pine or spruce or the like.

We used a stud locator, again from any DIY shop, just make sure it can also detect joists as some cant. Cost about £8+. They are not perfect and it is trial and error to get the sensitivity right, but once you get the distances between joists down, you can be pretty much spot on when it goes beep!:)

I've got an old house with big wood in it. I have no idea what a new house will have to screw into or what it can take. Beware cables etc. That's about the only thing we gambled on. But as we put in a lot of the mains lead runs, we sort of knew where they are. It's something that you cant really predict though, but mostly you'll be ok. The only real one to think about is copper heating pipes that may run close by.

My only really useful tip is to countersink the holes into the batton a fair way. The biggest screw we had was 5" (I think) witha bit of vaseline to help it drive in. By giving it more bite into the joist allowed a secure fixing. We used 4. More than enough but we do over engineer here.

Good luck. Call if you need to know any more.

4. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Also very handy to use if some b*stard decides to slash your tyres;)

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your looking for wood behind plasterboard ie ceilings or walls, lightly tap the ceiling/wall with the handle of a large screwdriver or hammer.......anything like that, listen for the sound it makes, you should be able to tell the difference if there is wood located behind the plasterboard, when you think you have found it just poke a small screwdriver through to make sure. Ok so this isnt an exact science and you may have a few little holes to fill in after but it saves having to buy a stud locator but you may have to buy some filler and paint :clown:

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I did pilot holes too just to be doubly sure.:D No need to fill in as they would be either drilled anyway or covered by the batton. I'm not a fan of the tap method as the results really can vary.