• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Something DVD compatible suitable for audio enjoyment - any ideas?

5plus1

Standard Member
How noisy mechanics do really have contemporary DVD/CD-A/DVD-A/SACD drives - for excapmle Cambridge DVD99 or similar?
Is there any sub $500 models CD/DVD drives suitable for audio enjoyment changed with video?
Any unit supporting also mkv video?
The drive would be on 2 meters distance on my work desk and humming mechanics really is not enjoyable.

Or is the answer, that despite of SACD or DVD-A labels, not available on Hi-Fi section and thread should be moved ... but where?

Thanks!

some background -

I bought to my sauna Pioneer DV-610AV for last Christmas, also with Audio DVD and SACD enjoyment in mind. From the very beginning the drive mechanics inside was a little bit noisy, that's even when streaming audio and during silent passages the hum was clearly audible on the distance of few meters. That's the distance I used for listening.
So next day I took the unit to the repair and in few weeks later I received it back when drive was replaced.
To my surprise - the new drive exhibited exactly the same level of noise.
As device carried the sign of DVD-A and SACD, I refused to understand the facts and asked from local audio shop for explanation.
Then the local Pioneer representative came shortly to my place and couldn't heard the noise. Finally. when we had talked half an hour, he admitted that indeed the noise is present and offered a full refund. Then it was my turn to take some time to decide what choices do I really have. I did a firmware update and the conclusion was, that obviously for $300 there is no reason to reason hope getting something better.
Or who knows, :) maybe the the unit just was returned from repair with the same humming mechanics?
Now I need to replace my 15 years old CD player and I'm looking for a replacement again ....

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom