1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something better than Tannoy Sixes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by titanax, May 25, 2002.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am setting up my HT with the Marantz SR5200, sub MJ Acoutics Pro 100. Problem is I don't know if I should trade off my current 609s & 603s...they are still short of a centre speaker.

Question is should I stick to these speakers, if I do what centre speaker should I get. If I should let them go, then what speakers should I get ?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Titanax,

I have answered a question of yours in a different thread (about subwoofers) before I spotted this one.

In my opinion the MJ Acoustics Pro 100 may be too big and powerful for your room and I would recommend that you try the smaller one.

You don't give your room size in this thread but you do in the other.

3. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian, but I still have no idea on the centre speaker to use with my Tannoy Sixes. The other thread was basically an issue of speaker size in a small room, but I gave the whole scenario.

Here I am just concentrating on getting good advise for a centre that will work with the Sixes.

Any suggestions?

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    609, hmmm? I think I may have had these in the past; are they kind of trapezoid in shape, with a wood effect inlay in the top (8"woofer), or are they one of the dual concentric designs? The only Tannoys that I have had are the 638+ floor standers which used dual concentric drivers (I really wish I still had those...) and what I think was a pair of 609's as detailed above.

If your speakers are of a dual concentric design, try to get hold of one of the Saturn range of centres, preferably the S8 centre. Do not get, as someone I know of did, a KEF Uni-Q centre because they have the same "design". They sound completely different.

Should you have the same "609's" that I had, then this is what I would buy: The 609's I had a sound not unlike the Revolution range that I heard a year back. So, in the belief that the idiom between the various Tannoy speakers is the same, I would stick with the Tannoy brand and get the (surprisingly heavy) Revolution centre.

Hope this helps – Russell

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I an currently using Revolutions and i have few complaints about the performance.The only thing to watch out for may be the weight of the Revolution centre as it is a hefty 17kg's. Look here
    http://www.tannoy.com/product.cfm?D=1&ID=20

6. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi russraff, you are correct on BOTH counts!!

I am using the 609s as front speakers and the 603s as rear speakers, ideally I'd prefer to stick with the Sixes range....did they make any centres for the Sixes ??!

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes they did. One of them used an "ICT" (I think that is the acronym, but I could be wrong) driver, which was a woofer that also produced the treble – Bose style. Needless to say this was quite poor. The only other that I can think of is the old 622 which was a dual concentric design. There is a review on this HCCO site. I wouldn't use a dual concentric design with conventional L/R speakers.
    After looking over this thread again, though, I think I have changed my mind. I don't think I would be happy with an unmatched front soundstage, no matter how hard I tried to match them. I would if funds allow, get rid of the 609's and get something different. There are much better speakers out there now, and certainly the KEF Q1 is a good place to start, as is the Revolution and JBL Xti ranges. It is tempting to keep speakers, but sometomes you have to upgrade.

Russell