1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone set this up for me please....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wvoss, Aug 1, 2002.

1. wvoss

wvoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iv'e just received my Denon 3802 from AVland. This is my kit, Give me a clue where to start when the garage conversion is complete.

Denon 3802
    Pioneer 737
    Grundig GDS3000 (Hopefully very Soon - S-Video Out)
    X Box (Will try and buy this week - Component option?)

Projector - Still working out which one to buy but will have component in.

Speakers
    Front - B&W DM603 S3
    Centre - B&W LCR600 S3
    Sides - B&W CCM65 (In-Ceiling)
    Rear - B&W CCM65 (In-Ceiling)
    Sub - REL Q150

Never realised just how many config options the 3802 had. Can someone give me the best setup before I start to connect in a few weeks time? Component switching etc.

Do the side speakers just plug in surround A or B?

Not bought the cables yet which could be of help if anyone can help...:confused:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Hi

The side speakers can be connected to either Surround A or Surround B and you then select which ones you have via the Set Up menu. Surround A is probably your best bet.

Then it´s a case of selecting whether you want to have the speakers Large/Small, Bass to Sub or LFE/MAIN etc You´ll will also have to tell the amp how far you are away from each speaker so it can take care of the Delay Times. You would need a Sound Level Meter as well to balance all the channel levels, you can do it by ear but it´s not as accurate. You´ll have to assign the Digital Inputs to the relevant sources DVD to OPT 1, SAT to OPT2 etc etc

With the setup you have I would set all speakers to small, all bass to sub. Connect the REL via BOTH the High level (neutrik) and low level connections. Set the sub to Mode 2 or 4 (this bypasses the crossover at low level as the amp will control the cutoff i.e 80Hz). Then you would set the sub crossover to around the lowest frequency your main front speakers go down to i.e 50hz. Then go into the channel level, SW setting (in DIRECT mode) and turn it down to -12db and then OFF. This stops any bass doubling for DIRECT mode and when listening to 2 channel music. You´ll have to set the High Level Volume on the sub by ear.

These settings will give you the best performance for both Music & Movies. It seems a lot now but when you start to set it all up, it comes together quite easily.

Then it´s a case of connecting the different sources to their inputs and connecting the Denon´s Monitor Out´s to your Projector/TV etc.

For cables check out

CHORD

QED

HIFI CABLES

Hope this helps.

3. wvoss

wvoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW!!!

Thanks for that. It does help after reading it 7 times. Seems like so much to do. I've been using the 40" Tosh with DD onboard for the last 2 years.

I thought the garage conversion was a pain and now the Denon.

Thanks Again....

Bet I'll get more replies now to really confuse the issue.....:D

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    It does seem a lot to take in but I´m sure you´ll sort it easily!

There are variations on the Speaker Large/Small but it´s down to personal taste really and what sounds best to you. You could try the front left & right speakers set to Large, all others to SMALL and the Bass to LFE/MAIN. Then set the sub to Mode 1 or 3 and adjust the crossover i.e 50 hz. You would´nt need to connect the sub via High Level if you chose this option, just the low level (phono) will do.

It´s worth playing around to see which you prefer.:)