Someone recommend me a Motherboard for an i5 Processor

wittgenfrog

Standard Member
I am currently a big fan of Gigabyte boards, which are generally very good quality & value. You don't say what form-factor you're after (ATX or MATX) or what your interets are. I suggest a quick look on a retailer (Scan or Ebuyer for a start) website to finalise size & features.

bl4ckdr4g0n

Standard Member
Are you sure this is a good thing with Sandy Bridge just another month away? I would be forgetting 1156 and going to 1155 instead come New Year mate. Don't miss out!! :)

icstm

Sandy Bridge makes a big jump in graphics, but not with everything else. USB3, SATA6Gb can all be had on current MoBos and there will still be 1156 chips next year.

wittgenfrog

Standard Member
Are you sure this is a good thing with Sandy Bridge just another month away? I would be forgetting 1156 and going to 1155 instead come New Year mate. Don't miss out!! :)

There's always something better "Real Soon Now" - the RSN syndrome.
On past form Intel will charge grossly inflated prices for Sandy Bridge (current family i-series CPUs are STILL v. pricey), so personally I'd buy a hopelessly out of date i5 and an 1156 mobo and not worry.

However if you must have the latest and greatrest, wait a couple of months like the man said :laugh:

djjonig

Standard Member
Hi guys (particularly wittgenfrog), looked through this thread as im planning my first build with either an I5 or I7 and was wondering which motherboard to use. Bit of a noob so excuse my ignorance but from reading above should i avoid I5? Also, if going with I5 or I7 will this essentially make my build prehistoric given the discussions re 1155 replacing 1156?

bl4ckdr4g0n

Standard Member
All I'm saying is - if you can afford to wait a little longer its probably going to be worth it as the system will last a bit longer. It has nothing to do with having to have the latest and greatest at all. There is sense in what I'm trying to put across.

djjonig It won't make it that way at all. Core i7 will be around for a while, the LGA1366 is being replaced at some point next year. If you were going to go for Core i5/7 on 1156 then it might be sensible to wait until 1155 comes to see if there is any real benefit especially as this means you are investing in something that will perhaps be a thing of the past. January all the boards and chips are out! :)

djjonig

Standard Member
Sorry meant to ask, if i stick with 1156 and i5/7, i presume the price will come down a bit at the start of 2011 for these components?

lemmo

Standard Member
The lowest of the Intel i3, the i3 530, is now discontinued... a shame as it's a good spec for a power efficient system, lots of good reviews. Perhaps a sign that Intel will push people towards the new Sandybridge offerings?

getjpi

Standard Member

BATTY_!

Standard Member
More help - I have seen this on Aria.co.uk,

Intel® Core™ i5-760 @ 3.80GHz, MSI P55-GD65 ATX Motherboard, 4GB (2x2GB) Mushkin DDR3 1600MHz Silverline, GELID Tranquillo CPU Cooler.

not sure if anyone has used aria, this bundle seems good value at 349.99, any comments would be welcome. Going into a new build (never done that before) so seems like a good option. About £40 over the build it yourself components. Using with a 1gig hd graphics card and 500gb hdd.

Berties

Banned
All I'm saying is - if you can afford to wait a little longer its probably going to be worth it as the system will last a bit longer. It has nothing to do with having to have the latest and greatest at all. There is sense in what I'm trying to put across.

djjonig It won't make it that way at all. Core i7 will be around for a while, the LGA1366 is being replaced at some point next year. If you were going to go for Core i5/7 on 1156 then it might be sensible to wait until 1155 comes to see if there is any real benefit especially as this means you are investing in something that will perhaps be a thing of the past. January all the boards and chips are out! :)

And your point being? By the time Sandy is out, and you buy it, and then want to upgrade the CPU Intel would have changed the socket again.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
And your point being? By the time Sandy is out, and you buy it, and then want to upgrade the CPU Intel would have changed the socket again.

That's speculation. You can't predict when or if Intel will change their sockets in a given time period.

After all, AMD have had the same socket(s) for ages now.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
It's well known Intel change sockets frequently, and you can see 775, 1156, 1155, 1366 and next 2011.

Yes, duly noted - but that is what has happened so far. Do you have evidence to suggest that there is a formal policy of socket changes for Intel every x number of months/years?

No, me neither.

What we do know, is that new lineups are due shortly. So we can take that into account. You can't speculate based on historical evidence alone, unless Intel have outright stated that a new socket is due on x date.

The new 1155 socket is not a revision for revision's sake; the entire voltage plane layout has shifted to allow for integrated graphics on the core rather than separate, amongst other things.

Early estimates for the next (speculated, I might add) 22nm architecture is around 2013 based on current release principles. Two years on a socket at least, with no current evidence to show that it will change.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom