Quantcast

Someone recommend a headphone amp

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Hello. My father (rash man) has asked my advice on headphone amps. (He has just invested in a pair of Sennheiser 580 'phones, a steal at £80). Now I'm very happy with my own headphone amp, which is a "Solo" Mk II from Graham Slee Projects, but one of the reasons why I'm happy with it is that I bought it for only £170 new, while the only-somewhat-updated Mk III version now sells for £375. It may well be worth it, but I feel he and I should be exploring alternatives too.

So: what would people suggest as a headphone amp at (or preferably significantly less than) £400? I thought perhaps an Earmax - but would welcome any suggestions.

buns

Banned
I have a little creek amp which cost me about £150....does the trick nicely with a pair of HD 600's. Others have complimented the MF x-series amp too.....

ad

dave48

I've got the Musical Fidelity X-CANS driving a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s. This sounds fantastic - the mere thought of how much I have had to spend on amps and speakers to match the quality of the headphones is quite depressing ....

Dave48

G

Gambit

I second the X-CansV2: superb sound, especially with decent cans like the 580/600's or some grados.

alexs2

The Creek and the MF headphone amps are good value,but for sheer quality,the Earmax(a single ended triode headphone amp)from the Audiophile Club (www.audiophileclub.co.uk)is amazing.

Another site worth visiting is Headroom,the US manufacturers of the Headroom series of headphone amps...that's all they make,and they are also superb.

Linn CD
Perpetual Technologies Upsampler
TagMclaren AV32R
Krell KMA 100 monoblocs
B&W Nautilus 805 speakers
Earmax headphone amp
Sennheiser 600 headphones

S

spamboy

I've got the Grado ra-1 and the MS X-cans which I use with RS-1's the grado amp is clearer, but the x-cans does have a lovely valve sound which flatters poorer (pop) recordings better. I've also demo-ed hd600's with the x-cans and it's a good match.

For the money, it's certainly worth a look.

Iancity

Novice Member
Just bought yestarday the MF X-cans to go with the 580's. Fantastic sound, you will not go wrong for this side of £150.00

Top Bottom