1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone please make some sense

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bigwilli, Aug 7, 2005.

1. bigwilli

bigwilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have been on tons of sites and trapsed round Comet and still dont know what I need.

I am after a 32" LCD HD tv that can cope with Sky's HD box next year and the XBOX 360 HD ouput also.

I found a nice Samsung LE32R41BDX but am not sure if this has enough ports etc.

My set up will be the TV, a sky box, a 5.1 system and the XBOX 360.

How will these all fit into one another? The sky box will need sound going to the 5.1 system as will the 360. The sky box and 360 will need HD visual output going to the TV.

IM LOST>>>>>>>

Can someone please tell me what tv's will fit my needs and what are rated as good picture quality etc.

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Until we know precisely the specs of the Sky HD box (in operational terms, not plug and socket terms) and the XBox 360 it is impossible to say absolutely for certain.

However I suspect the following would work, assuming the Samsung carries an HD Ready logo.

Sky HD to Samsung using HDMI
    XBox 360 to Samsung using Component HD analogue

Sky HD to 5.1 AV amp using Digital optical Toslink style output (IF this is operational when the HDMI output is)
    XBox 360 to 5.1 AV amp using Digital optical Toslink style output

This will mean the audio you listen to is not fed via the Samsung TV - so the volume will be controlled by the Amp remote not the TV remote.

That would be my first bet. You would need an AV Amp with at least two Toslink optical inputs - though this shouldn't be a problem. (If it has one optical and one coax you can get a low-cost converter from optical to coax)

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I think Stephen, that Sky won't include HDMI, but then another manufacturer may, so you could hold off to see what pans out.
    If you go Sky supplied box, then as it stands, you'll need a component switching unit, 2 or more - 1.
    Alternatively, hook both up to an AV Amp with multiple component input, and HDMI for good measure - you'll never know when it may be made use of.
    Then, when you switch inputs from Sky to Xbox360, the sound will be outputted correspondingly.

Otherwise, as per Stephen's plan, you'll need to select the audio input on the AV amp as well as select the AV input on the TV - both of which will likely be on 2 separate remote controls.
    The same is also true of my first suggestion - the component swicher. You'll need to (manually?) change the input on it, then the audio to get the right sounds with the right images.

4. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Err, Sky have already confirmed a long time ago that the Sky HD box will have HDMI output. And they'll be no choice for Sky HD, it's a Sky supplied box (made by Thompson initially) or nothing.

To be honest, if it was me I'd wait until Sky HD and Xbox 360 are actually out before buying a new LCD or plasma with them in mind. There will I'm sure be more choice next year and they'll likely be cheaper.

5. craigdyer

craigdyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :spam: Sky Hd will use HDMI as well as componant out, IMHO the Hitachi 32LD7200 seems to be the best option, I chose this screen as I am also looking to get Sky HD and Xbox 360 or PS3.

The HItachi has HDMI, DVI-D, componant and a number of other sockets as you can get a HDMI to DVI-D lead so you can hook up two HDMI devices at the same time as for audio if your routing it through a 5.1 system and don't wnat to use the Screens speakers they are removable.

I got the Hitachi as it offered more connections and has had very good reviews it recieved 97% in Home Cinema Choice (I think it was that magazine). I decided to get the telly first so that I can save up for Sky HD and or Xbox 360 or PS3 as the prices rumored for Sky HD box and the next gen consoles seem to be round the £400 mark.

Might be going a little of the thread but I am thinking more of buying the PS3 as this will have a Blue Ray drive in it which will offer HD movies as well as games but as there are two HD disc formats competing its a little bit of a gamble but time will tell on that front (reminds me of the VHS - Beta Max saga) :rolleyes:

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    does the DVI-D support HDCP as well? PS3 will need that for bluray movie playback.

Toshibas coming out v.soon have 2xHDMI sockets + component + SCARTs. Thats plenty for PS3 + Sky HD + Xbox 360

7. craigdyer

craigdyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the Hitachi DVI-D supports HDCP.

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Sparky, thanks for the correction - fingers in gear, brain in neutral!