• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Someone Please Convince Me....

antilles

....I've downloaded trailers onto my XBOX360 in 720p...i'm playing them back on my 50 inch HD Sony TV....., i know i'm gonna get rapped in the mouth for this, but...so what? I couldn't see any difference between these trailers and standard DVD quality.....

Is this indicative of genuine HD quality? If so, i aint playing guys....

Rich

rentagas

Well there are lots of explanations as to why you can't tell the difference inclusing source material, quality of Xbox output, connection to telly, settings of telly etc.

Obviously there are huge differences between SD and HD. I'm currently ploughing through DVD's of "24" and having been spoilt by sky HD and HD DVD I'm really noticing how pixellated and blurry the picture is. ITV1 is almost unwatchable.

I just don't understand how you can't see a difference:eek:

Croftanator

Standard Member
No difference... mmmkay. Maybe wait until PS3 "true high definition" stuff comes out? Seriously... try watching the Narnia trailer and then the SD DVD, or Aeon Flux, etc, etc, and see if you still can't see any difference.

Uruloke

I've got both a 360 and a HD-DVD player. The 720p trailers via the 360 are not a patch on actual HD-DVD.

Uruloke

Evil Engineer said:
Yeah. But even so, those trailers still looked better on my display then SD does.
Same here, makes me wonder if antilles has actually downloaded the 720p trailers and not the 480p ones...

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
RobDickinson said:
I downloaded the 720p trailer for xmen 3, on a pio 42px600 @720p it looked great but not significantly better than sd dvd.

I have been impressed with pretty much all the trailers downloaded from marketplace (in 720p) however the XMen 3 one was the exception - found the first few shots very grainy and bitty

NackNack

Banned
A lot of the trailers are heavily compressed, and some are advertised as 720p but blatantly not up to scratch. The Narnia trailer is decent, A Scanner Darkly is brilliant for showing off the sharpness of HD, and best of all the games really show it for what it is! Lost Planet demo is gorgeous.

rover2002

Evil Engineer said:
Or perhaps he forgot to flip the little SD/HD switch on the component cable.

It's easy to miss. :)

Thats what i thought too.Maybe you have not set it to HD, also have you set the res to 1080 or 720?

antilles

Okayyyy......my 360 is connected to my HD tv via component. Yes, i downloaded the 720p trailers and not the 420p....:rolleyes:

I expected to be picking my jaw off the floor at the superior, ultra sharp high def video....but it kind of left me cold. Most recently downloaded the POTC 2 trailer expecting my eyes to bleed at the sharpness, but it just aint really happening.:thumbsdow

It just concerns me that the XBOX360 HD-DVD add on displays a max rez of 720p.....same as the best quality trailers....:suicide:

I wonder how many people are fooling themselves into believing there is a huge leap in quality in order to justify buying a £500 player.....to buying all the same films again.....to paying £25 for movies we've already got and can be picked up for a fiver.....and these new players will not be multi-region either??!!!??? Sheesh....tough decision.....:rotfl:

I dunno, i'll just have to wait and see a dedicated player running in a proper shop....

Probably get Lucas to bludgeon us all into buying the Star Wars DVD's again for the umpteenth time.....:mad:

rover2002

antilles said:
It just concerns me that the XBOX360 HD-DVD add on displays a max rez of 720p.....same as the best quality trailers....:suicide:
Maybe you can post a link for us to where this info is posted.

antilles said:
I wonder how many people are fooling themselves into believing there is a huge leap in quality in order to justify buying a £500 player.....to buying all the same films again.....to paying £25 for movies we've already got and can be picked up for a fiver.....and these new players will not be multi-region either??!!!??? Sheesh....tough decision.....:rotfl:

Comeing to this conclusion after watching a trailer on the 360? your loss:rotfl:

antilles said:
I dunno, i'll just have to wait and see a dedicated player running in a proper shop....

Would you then not be fooling yourself?
antilles said:

So your really just angry with Mr Lucus?

antilles said:
Probably get Lucas to bludgeon us all into buying the Star Wars DVD's again for the umpteenth time.....:mad:

antilles

rover2002 said:
Maybe you can post a link for us to where this info is posted.

The info was in this months offical Xbox360 mag. A whole section on the HD DVD addon with specs etc.

Comeing to this conclusion after watching a trailer on the 360? your loss:rotfl:

In what way is it my loss? I was, after all, asking you TRUE BELIEVERS to convince me....see title of thread:rolleyes:

Would you then not be fooling yourself?

How would i be fooling myself? All i'm asking for is opinions and convincing arguements...i don't really see how going to a store for a demo can possibly be classed as fooling myself....now maybe if i'd just launched my card details at an electronics website in the US just to satisfy an obvious desire for one-up-manship without really seeing with my own eyes what this new born tech could really offer...then, perhaps i would have been fooling myself...:rolleyes: :rotfl:

So your really just angry with Mr Lucus?
Isn't everyone?
BTW....it's "you're" not "your"..and it's "Lucas" not "Lucus"...:rolleyes:

matt_p

The HD trailers on Xbox Live are not up to much. Very compressed, poor colours, grainy... I certainly wouldn't base any opinions of HD-DVD around the quality of those clips - they're completely different.

That's like listening to a dodgy, over compressed mp3, and then concluding that the CD is rubbish. It's not, it's just been compressed to within an inch of its life to get filesize down. Same with the HD trailers on Xbox Live.

HD-DVD bandwidth is around 36Mbps (4.5MB per second)

Latest Pirates of Carribbean trailer on Live is about 7.6Mbps (0.95MB per second)

They're so far apart, they're not even comparable.

Uruloke

antilles. Please post a link to the information regarding the XBOX360 HD-DVD add on displaying a max rez of 720p. Trust me, 1080i on my Toshiba HD-A1 blows the all the trailers on the marketplace out of the water!

Oh and if you're going to be pedantic; when shortening the word resolution, it's res with an S, not rez. ;)

T800

The trailers on Marketplace aren't up to much.
The MI3 trailer on the new MI SE DVD, zoomed in (not anamorphic) looks better than the trailer on market place.
All the trailers in 720p on apple.com look better than on marketplace.

Footage in HD on the 360 doesn't look as good as SkyHD and Sky HD doesn't look as good as HD-DVD. It's not all the same.

rover2002

antilles said:
Isn't everyone?
BTW....it's "you're" not "your"..and it's "Lucas" not "Lucus"...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the spell check:D
Can you check my other posts?

antilles

Thanks for the info people!
I was just a bit concerned that the HD revolution was a bit of a non starter.... I mean, obviously i'm very interested...otherwise i wouldn't have bought an HD Ready tv....

You know what it's like when you're looking forward to something that just doesn't deliver? Well, that was my fear after downloading these supposed HD Trailers...

As to a link about the 360 add on...i've since recycled the mag, but essentially they were saying that there's no need to display playback any more than 720p....as that's what the 360's native output is and noones tv can really display the full resolution that hd dvd's are encoded at....

Sounded like a load of toss to me, but there you go.

Rich

Uruloke

Remember seeing that article and only taking notice of the pics. But if the article is correct and that it only outputs HD-DVD at 720p then it's not going to be worth it!

T800

Uruloke said:
Remember seeing that article and only taking notice of the pics. But if the article is correct and that it only outputs HD-DVD at 720p then it's not going to be worth it!

I have a 720p projector and two 768 TV's, so for me if it's chance to get on the HD-DVD bandwagon for £100ish I'll go for it. If it works out I'll get a dedicated player down the line any way.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom