• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SOMEONE PLEASE CLARIFY THIS ....panasonic plasmas

bluesteel

Established Member
hi
is the
panasonic TH-50PX60B
the same tv as the
Panasonic TH 50 PH 9

also what is the difference in the
panasonic TH-50PX60B
panasonic TH-50PX600B

DJ Mike

Established Member
AFAIK, the differences between the PX60 and PX600 models are that the 600B has more features on top of the 60 - e.g. better sound system, Picture-in-Picture, SD card slot for recording/photos.

However, there is no difference in picture quality (they both use the same 1024x768 display) - in fact I verified this quite rigorously at John Lewis yesterday :)

They had a 42PX60 and 600 setup side by side, both feeding off a Blu-Ray drive playing Fantastic Four in HD. At first it seemed like the 600 really did have a better picture (the 60 was showing aliasing around fine edges), BUT this turned out to be due to the 60 being fed via Component, while the 600 was being fed by HDMI. One of the JL assistants swapped them round and the 60 matched the 600's HDMI quality like for like, while the 600 went down in quality when put through Component - as I expected ;)

These were obviously the 42" models, not 50", but I expect the differences between the 50PX60 and 600 are exactly the same as between the 42" models.

As for the PH9, I'm not sure - but isn't this simply the business model which comes without any speakers at all (i.e. like a computer monitor)?

Sampson

Established Member
Correct.
Except the resolution of both screens is 1366 x 768 not 1024 x 768 :)

pointyone

Established Member
the PH9 is a panel only (not a tv) it comes with no tuner or speakers(can be an optinal extra)

if you have sky and a sound system then this would be the way to go

alot more adaptable especially if you plan to use it with a PC feed

you buy the panel then choose the input boards you want on it

DJ Mike

Established Member
Correct.
Except the resolution of both screens is 1366 x 768 not 1024 x 768 :)

Sorry, I was referring to the 42" models accidentally there - you are correct, the 50" versions all have screen resolutions of 1366x768 (which might also explain why they aren't afflicted with the picture scaling problems of the lower sizes).

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The PX600 contains some slight setting tweaks to minimize color over push that occurs in PX60. In Japan PX60 menu system is different.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
the panels also outperform the PX series in lots of areas unless you want a basic telly stick to a PH with AV amp and seperates etc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom