Quantcast

Someone ordered 3 new lines on my Vodafone account yesterday, unbelievable really

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Late last night I got 2 emails from DPD couriers saying my Vodafone order would be delivered on Tuesday 12 March, obviously this caught my attention as I hadn't ordered anything! I noticed there was an option to choose a different delivery date so the first thing I did was change it to Thursday to give me some time to sort it out and make sure the phones weren't delivered first thing this morning. Rang Vodafone but they were closed so I rang them first thing this morning and was told that somebody had called them yesterday afternoon and ordered 3 new lines on my account for £39.95 each per month all for Iphone 5s. They were being delivered to 2 different address in London , one 127 HomeStead Way, New Addington, CR0 0DT and one 343 Kingston Road, SW20 8JX. I asked how somebody had managed to do this without presumably knowing the password for my account or pin number and was told that as long as they know the address and date of birth they will reset the pin etc. I am absolutely staggered, how the hell did it not ring alarm bells when somebody rang up not knowing all of the answers to the security questions who then ordered 3 new Iphone 5 lines on my account and wanted them delivering to 2 different addresses in London that are 200 miles away from my home address, unbelievable. I kept an eye on the tracking for the 3 seperate parcels and having changed the delivery date last night to the 14th I noticed the delivery date had been changed this morning to the 13th. I rang DPD and told them what had happened and asked them to make sure they weren't delivered , they said somebody had called them at 9.05 this morning asking if they could collect them from the depot (all London South depot) obviously prompted by the fact I'd changed the delivery date to Thursday. In hindsight this would have been a wonderful opportunity to catch them red handed but I don't think Vodafone are on the ball enough to even care about that, certainly they hadn't got straight on the phone to DPD to tell them not to deliver them.
Anyway I guess there's some dodgy people frequenting those addresses I mentioned so be aware folks ok

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:

liamt

its almost as unbelievable as a keyboard without an enter key eh? :devil:

j/k

this is bad to be honest. it seems security can be bypassed so easily these days. surely a case for the police?

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Had something similar a couple of years ago, out of the blue I received a Littlewoods statement showing charges for three mobile phones at £300-400 each.

Definitely not something I'd order and to the best of my knowledge, I've never ordered anything from Littlewoods.

Phoned them and explained and they put me onto their fraud department and the account in my name was closed and that was that, never heard anymore about it. Lots of dodgy people about obviously.

Then I knocked the three phones out on ebay for £200 each:rotfl::rotfl:

That last bit was a joke, obviously:D

Captain_Danger

Novice Member
The police don't care, and Apple, well just forget it. My brother works in the fraud department for a firm and when they had a similar kind of incident happen (iPhones obtained by means of fraud) Apple really did not care one iota.

brumhee

Distinguished Member
The police don't care, and Apple, well just forget it. My brother works in the fraud department for a firm and when they had a similar kind of incident happen (iPhones obtained by means of fraud) Apple really did not care one iota.
I'm not sure why Apple would are unless they were purchased direct from them.

Lucky you managed to catch it early OP. Could have been a while and a lot of money before you noticed. Unfortunately they will no doubt try again with someone else, and maybe remember to change the email address this time so the victim doesn't find out early :thumbsdow

tvmcp

Vodafone have a moto 'customer obsessed' I would ask them to sort it, and explain you're going to highlight it to the Daily mail, or Mail on Sunday if they don't.

Desmo

What they should have done was had your email address changed at the same time, then you'd never have known. Quite worrying that it's that easy.

robel

Unfortunately these days, you get the three wise monkeys running the sales departments...hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil.....all part of keeping the sales figures up....

qwerty321

robel

FYI all Voda management email accounts are [email protected]mes but rarely there is also a 1 after the surname...i do biz with them....

John

Dropping the name of some media outlets wouldn't go amiss either.
I doubt they give a rats ass about what media outlet you mention . How many emails do you think they get a day saying "I going to tell Ann Robinson on you" :p

Last edited:

robel

Personally i would email the ceo, the md and the head of customer service and the head of fraud...I have done this with DHL, Holiday Inn and with Steve Jobs at Apple (when he was still alive) and in all three instances I got responses and action.

Its all about how you put it across to them. Apart from being polite and professional, of course, I find asking them what would they do in your position, makes them think.

With my issue with DHL, i emailed the CEO in the Netherlands after they failed to deliver a set top box to me, lying about me not being in and then saying that they couldnt get to my house because of a road closure....I told him that his advertising claims to deliver to people in caves and up mountains but gave up after a single road closure???!!!...he emailed me back at 5 in the morning and i then had the director of DHL spain on the phone at 9am and their entire local office in my street at mid morning with one person with my package and the other one dabbing my forehead whilst i signed for the delivery....no lie...

tvmcp

SevloW

Distinguished Member
Not as bad as the OP's but years ago I found that I had another person on my Orange mobile phone account - some woman I had never heard of. Rang Orange and they said I must have added her, well I did not and they had no idea how it happened and gave me a £5 credit. I was lucky in that she did not cause me any financial loss.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I'm still waiting for a call back from the fraud team who are investigating into whether it really was fraud, honestly you couldn't make this up. I guess it's standard procedure but why the hell else would I have contacted the courier to tell them not to deliver the phones and send them back to Vodafone!! Anyway the 3 days timescale they promised to ring me about it is technically up tomorrow although it has been all day Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday now but I'll give them till tomorrow before I start kicking off... I wanna see the 3 new lines deleted off my account, until then there's the potential I'll get billed for them and they'll take the money and that's when things could start getting messy so hopefully it won't get to that stage. Watch this space....

Penski

Do the police have any useful powers anymore? Would they step in and catch this stain?

I'm sure there are lots of good men and women there, but what they seem to do most is enforce fines through various means.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
What they should have done was had your email address changed at the same time, then you'd never have known. Quite worrying that it's that easy.
If they had done that Voda would have really made a mockery of themselves;

So zAndy1, your current email address is [email protected] and you'd like to change it to [email protected]. Give me 2 seconds.
:facepalm:

Anyway, I thought phones could only be delivered to the cardholders address? Certainly was with my online order with O2 years ago.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Maybe they rung your credit card company and changed your address with hem while they were at it. Banks aren't much better lol.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
If they had done that Voda would have really made a mockery of themselves;

So zAndy1, your current email address is [email protected] and you'd like to change it to [email protected]. Give me 2 seconds.
:facepalm:

Anyway, I thought phones could only be delivered to the cardholders address? Certainly was with my online order with O2 years ago.
Vodafone allow phones to be delivered to alternative addresses in case you're 'working away' or some other ridiculous excuse. If they only allowed phones to be delivered to the account holders address it would prevent the majority of this fraud happening straightaway. It simply defies belief that they're perfectly happy to post nearly £2k worth of phones to an address nowhere near me, no even worse to 2 different addresses nowhere near me without batting an eyelid. I would love to get a copy of the phone call when these orders were placed, am I legally entitled to get a copy of it?

sergiup

Distinguished Member
So did they actually deliver the phones?

Something slightly similar happened to me a few years ago, when someone ordered two Wii consoles with my card details; I eventually found out the order number, delivery address and email of the person who did so and asked the online retailer (can't remember who now) to cancel the order before it had been dispatched - I did get my money back, but the retailer didn't cancel the order. I guess they just didn't care, a sale is a sale for them after all?

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
No they didn't deliver them, as far as I can tell anyway. I rang the courier and made sure they didn't deliver them and sent them back to Vodafone which as far as I know is what happened.
Anyway I've just had 2 invoices from Vodafone in the post for £173.95 each for an Apple iPhone 5 64GB Black and 8am-10am delivery (crafty bastards trying to get their hands on it as quickly as possible!). I feel an email to the CEO coming on.....

bassit

Personally i think you should email the press with this story, it might save a lot of other people going through the same as you.

It seems that most big companies take this kind of attitude and it is always left to the customer to sort out the troubles and take the stress that comes with it :(.