1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

someone giving out our phone number

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by themoid, Aug 15, 2005.

1. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

Someone is giving out our phone number as their own, and we keep getting calls from loads of people, like their kids friends parents who get the number from the school (!!), retail service groups who are obviously chasing payments of some kind, call-backs for info, and so on. I phoned Sky on Saturday to buy the footie for the season, gave them our phone number and the guy said hello Mr Bates :mad: (im Mr Smith).

BT have said their is nothing they can do, so I was wondering if any of you guys had suggestions as to what we can do about this, as it is starting to p**s us off. Also, what would they be hoping to gain by giving out a different phone number, especially to their kids school ? Innocent mistake or some kind of scam ?

I've changed the answer machine message to say that the Bates' dont live here, but i dont want it to start causing problems.

Cheers

Stu

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,758
    How long have you had this phone number for ? When I first went with NTL for my phone, I kept getting calls from people chasing money etc and they all asked for the same person. It turns out that they re-use old numbers after so many months and I'd inherited a number from someone who owed a lot of money and had done a lot of dodgy building work.
    NTL were very unsympathetic about it and said that there was nothing they could do unless I wanted to pay for a new number. I then threatened to take it further as I was entitled to a phone number without getting hassled, and also added that they weren't the only provider, this then made them give me a new number.

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The school won't give out phone numbers to anyone,they are not getting it from school.

5. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I've got this problem at the moment with my mobile, over the past three months I've had dozens of calls asking for the same person, most of which seem to be from financial institutions - either her bank manager likes her or she's not too good with her money!

The most worrying ones I've had are the ones a 6pm asking me to pick my kids up from school! Last time I checked I didn't have any. You'd think after the first time I told the school they'd got the wrong number they would do something about it.

I think in my case she just doesn't know her own mobile number and is giving people the wrong one, afterall how many people don't know their own number now everyone just has them programmed into their phones.

We also have a similar problem at home, in that a national company that has it's head offic near us has a fax number that is only one digit away from our home phone number, now that is really annoying. :mad:

We have had our number for nearly 30 years, and they have only been here for 3 or 4, but BT have said there is nothing they can do short of us pying to change our number either. But then again, I suppose if people knew how to dial the correct number we wouldn't have a problem. :rolleyes:

6. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    We've had the number for one year now. BT said the number is only registered to us so there is nothing they can do, and we are registered with the Telephone Preference Service.

I did think it odd that schools would give out phone numbers, but it sounded like a genuine message from another parent.

Only thing I can think of is to see if any of the callers have an address for 'Mr Bates' and pop round to see them to ask why they are giving out our number.

It must be a mistake - what is the point of deliberately giving out the wrong number ? :rolleyes:

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    We have an old folks home with a single pair of numbers reversed so loads of confused old folk phone worried about Jimmy or Edna. We just shrug after all we'll all be there one day. :)

8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you've only had the number for a year, get BT to change it. It's obvious that your number is a re-used one.

Richie.

9. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,474
    It could simply be that Bates held your number previously but has only recently gone off the rails. Have any callers made the same connection to Bates as Sky did? If you want to PM your name, address & phone number I'll see what I can find on an old copy of the 192.com database.

10. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Are they asking for Mr. or Master Bates?? If the latter, this could open up a whole new can of worms........ :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

11. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :D :D

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Themoid,

BT ARE and SHOULD be able to do something. :lesson: It sounds like they are trying to fob you off! :mad:

You should ask them, to reroute all your calls, so that a BT operator answers them. Only, if the call is asking to speak to you (or someone in your household, who actually lives at your address) should the calls be then put through to you.

Explain that the calls you are getting amount to an "abuse" of your phoneline, and that as your houselhold is being "harrassed" by these unnecessary and annoying calls, that you want BT to bloody well get it dealt with. Also, explain in no uncertain terms, that if they refuse to do something about the problem, you will take your business elsewhere, and involve the media and press if need be. (BT may claim that this is a threat from you, to them. Explain that it is NOT a threat, but a promise of what action you can and will take, should BT not get their butts into gear!)

This should spur them into action! BT won't want any bad press, if they know what's good for them! :lesson: :D

Lastly, if you check the back of your local BT phone directory (the purple-coloured ones), there is a BT Code Of Conduct/Practice that is about 10 pages. Scan through it, and see if any of this can be used against BT, and quote it to them! Explain that if they are breaking any of their Code Of Conduct, that you can AND will report them to OFCOM - see here!

Good Luck, and let us all know if this advice helps you or not! :)

Pooch

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Woo our main number used to be a music shop and the second line which came with ISDN was catalogue bargain shop :eek:

14. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    BT. :suicide: Crap.

15. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The place I work has a range of numbers that's very similar to the local council, and also (differently) very similar to the local hospital. Unfortunately all DDI so incorrectly dialled calls tend to go all over the office.

A colleague of mine was getting particularly stressed out recently after a bad week of people whining about their binmen or asking for the maternity ward. So when some guy rang to pay a parking fine he just couldn't turn down the opportunity to pretend to take the poor bloke's switch card number and tell him his fine was now cancelled.... :devil:

Bad boy!

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Where I used to work, every Thursday at about 10am on the dot, a sad old lady used to phone us to place an order for her sanitary towels.

The amount of times we tried to explain to her she had the wrong number didn't matter. She'd phone back again next week. Didn't have the heart to play a prank on her. Poor old dear :rotfl:

17. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :D :D

18. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    UPDATE:

thanks for the advice and help guys. the calls have stopped, not sure if because of anything I have done.

one problem I can't solve though - whenever I phone sky they ask for the phone number and I get the Bates' account, as they have obviously given sky our number also :mad: and have to give them my viewing card number to actually talk about my account. I cant do anything because I am not the account holder of the Bates account (as I am not Mr bloody Bates) and Sky dont seem to get the problem ? Any suggestions ?

19. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Tell Sky that you are cancelling the account. Then start a new account and take advantage of the new customer offers (free installation, cheap Sky+, etc) and sell off your old sky box, dish, etc on ebay...

Cheers,
    Liam

20. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    We have a similar problem with Sky.

Our account was originally opened in my wife's maiden name; when we married (4 years ago!) we told them. Then we told them again the first time we called and couldn't be found on the database. And again at least 5 times since.

Funny how they now send the Sky Guide to the right person (albeit at the wrong address - how stupid of us to move house!) yet when we called last week to get the PIN reset following the Sky+ update we still had to go by the old name.

Frustrating as hell.

21. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    frustrating is certainly the word !

22. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Cancel the account, it will get the 'proper' attention. :) Ask them how can the account be in one name and the payments come from someone elses account. Lay it on thick with the id theft line. Should get the line manager to put his cappuccino and croissant down for a sec. :thumbsup: