1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somebody help an idiot

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bluedog, Dec 30, 2004.

1. bluedog

bluedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have £2K - 2.5K to buy an LCD tv, I would like 37" but would take 32" as that's what CRT I had before she went pop.

Having read some of the info about HDTV I would like to future proof the investment and it's all getting a bit confusing, I really don't have the time to sit down and get to grips with it.

This is where you guys come in, what would you buy if you were in the market, also if you can be bothered feel free to tell me why that particular choice, if not fine.

I quite like the look of the Philips 37PF9986 (might break he budget tho') and the Sharp GA 3/5 series but I believe the 4 is better than the 5 ??

Anyway an upfront thanks to those that reply,

Bluey

p.s. keep it simple :lease:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I wouldn't worry too much about HDTV. It's unlikely that HDTV will be cheap enough for about another 5 years, and by that time there will be better, cheaper screens around. There isn't that much HDTV material around anyway.

3. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110

The sharp 37" G4 is with in your budget. i am a bit concerned about HDTV too. apart from HD dvds there not much at the moment.

im replacing my half dead 8yr old 32" crt with an lcd now. and if my finace stuff is accepted then the 37" one is with me soon.

reminds why on earth is there no LCD F.A.Q sticky thread for this section?

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  5. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're spending up to £2500 on a HiDef LCD panel, you might as well make sure it has an input for it.

I doubt HDTV will be expensive, because noone will be interested if it's a rip off. Also, it's 1 year away, not 5. There is pleanty of HiDef content around if you know where to look.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The start of the Sky hi-def service is one year away. Do you honestly think it will be as populated as the normal Sky service when it starts ? It took about 10 years to get ITV to join ordinary Sky :suicide:

BBC and ITV (and Sky to some extent) have problems finding enough 16:9 content at times, let alone hi-def. I'm sure in Christmas 2006 we'll all still be watching "Only Fools and Horses" in low-def, just the same as now. Apart from a few Sky HD movie channels, which we know will be more expensive, there won't be much more than that for quite some time. Lots of people are making lots of assumptions about HDTV - I hope they are not all too disappointed.

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Nick_Uk,
    Nothing to do with the fact you have a low res screen that will not work with Hi-def TV?

8. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just because theres no HD content over here, it doesn't mean there isn't any HD content anywhere. The US and Japan have pleanty, so I doubt Sky will have problems finding content. We will also have HD-DVDs and Blueray discs soon that will give us HiDef video, as well as all the stuff yo ucan get off the Internet. If you want HiDef, you can get it. I already have pleanty of movies in HD.

Anyway, my point was if he's going to be buying such an expensive screen, it would make sense to have some decent connection on it.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Quite a bit of the BBC material is recorded in hidef already. Dramas, sport, music, export material and special features such as Pride being notible examples.

10. bluedog

bluedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys I've already decided I want to go for a high def compliant model so you don't have to convince me on that, the question is which one? Is there more than one format of HD, seems to be chat about resolutions and frequencies that I must admit I don't really follow.

So far I've got one recommendation in the GA4 and that looks OK, anyone got the Philips 9986, any bad points (apart from the price, ouch).

Is the GA5 HD ? I had a quick look at the Sharp site but it wasn't blindingly obvious.

I'm sorry but I'll hold my hand up here and admit I prefer to buy things on recommendations rather than what a magazine says as there's less chance of any palm greasing influencing the reviews.

11. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    the sharp ga5 hasnt got dvi input so really is a waste of time,but sharp are releasing a 6 series that isnt even mentioned in there latest brochure and if you hang on that could be your best bet all depends on wheather it has a dvi input or not,or you could track down a ga4 37 .i would wait till the end of january

12. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharp GA4 is a good LCD. Don't bother with the GA5 because it's a cut down version of the GA4 (for around the same price).

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Philips 9986 is absolutely the business! I have the 32" and am utterly delighted.

Everybody's getting themselves in a tizzy about HiDef, and to be honest, if the TV has a digital input of any sort, then you're in. The HDCP compliance thing may be important, but I'm sure that even if your TV hasn't got it then an external HDCP 'reader' will be available come the time.

I can only recommend the 32" Philips, but I'm sure it's big brother should be similarly awsome....

Jimmy

14. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    One thing to note with the 9986 is the fact that it cannot internally scale 720p (1280x720) up to the full screen size (1366x768). You will thus get a bordered picture on all sides. This does not happen with 1080i.

Sky have said that their broadcast will be predominately 720p. I do not know what HD-DVD or Blu-ray will output at. There is currently no information whether the Sky STB will internally upscale 720p to 1080i. If it cannot, Sky hi def will always be bordered on this display unless you add an expensive scaler or output in SD. I would imagine that at least some HD-DVD/blu-ray players will allow alternative resolutions to be output.

-Ian