Some views & questions about the Denon 1920

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Spacedog, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Yesterday I received my 1920 and gave it a try for a couple of hours. First of all I must say I'm very impressed with this player so far! Picture-wise, I have only tried the HDMI out on my Sony V32 and the PQ is really really beautiful (specially in 720p)!! I found the "HDMI component" mode to produce a slightly better image than the "HDMI RGB" mode since the colors in the RGB are a bit less vivid than in component. But nevertheless AMAZING details and AMAZING colors!! I like it much more than the PQ of my former Cambridge DVD79 (which I have returned due to several problems). Seems like I finally found a partner for my V32!! :thumbsup:

However I have some questions which I hope some of you can help answer:

1) In what cases do the "Pure Direct mode" applies? I know from the manual that when it's on, the player only outputs analog audio (and supposedly a better one). But from what outputs can you take advantage of this "pure direct mode" better sound??? Basically my doubts are:

1a) from which analog outs?? The 5.1ch ones or the stereo ones or both??

2a) for which analog mode? 2channel or multichannel or both?

3a) for which input formats? only DVD-A and SACD or any type of soundtrack?

4a) when listening to music CDs, is there any difference between using the stereo analog outs and using the Left&Right channel of the 5.1 analog outs?? in the manual it seems that all the ANALOG options and features are concerning only the 5.1analog outs and not the stereo ones! :confused: What's the point of selecting "2channel" for the 5.1analog outs?? Will it not be the same as using the stereo analog outs? i.e., I wanted to know what is the best connection I can use for listening to music CDs and which allows me to take advantage of the "Pure Direct mode".

5a) I also noticed that even in "Pure Direct mode", sound is sent through the digital coax out. Wasn't it supposed to only output analog sound (like it says in the manual)??? :confused:

2) Picture-wise, I only played a bit with the "picture control" settings (mainly with sharpness) and was wondering if any you 1920 owners can suggest some settings??

Thank you very much in advance!! :smashin:

2. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,671
    Don't adjust the sharpness from the midpoint setting.

4. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your post Stuart. But i'm not shure if I understood what you mean... the sharpness setting goes from -6 to +6... were you saying that I should leave it to 0 (the midpoint)?

Thanks again!

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    0 would be a good starting point. Some dvd players zero point will actually add some sharpness control, so experiment to see what you prefer, but normaly its best advised not to go +0 as this will add edge enhancment and ringing etc, even though the picture can seem better.

6. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you.

I'm still waiting for my copy of DVE to arrive so I can calibrate both my tv and dvd player. BTW, is there separate tests for tv and dvd player?? I'm asking this because I'm a little confused on all this calibrating procedures. You calibrate the tv first right??? If not, how can you calibrate a dvd player without calibrating the tv first (since you'll be seeing the image on the tv and therefore associated with the tv settings currently set in that moment!!) :confused:

:confused: :confused:

For example, last night I tried the "THX Optimizer" in one of the Star Wars dvds and it specifically refers to "calibration test for your TV". So I ran the optimizer (leaving all the settings in the Denon in their default factory values) tweaking only the settings on the tv.

The first surprise was in the Contrast test (the first one actually) since even with Contrast set to MAX in my tv I can perfectly see the different white shades and get the feeling that I STILL WOULD even with higher values of contrast in my tv (if it wasn't at MAX already! :) ).

The second thing that bugged me was the sharpness test since I cannot fully understand what should I look for in the image in order to perform a correct calibration of this setting (yes I read the thx explanation over and over again but I still don't get it) :(

:confused:

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    DVE will explain it much better. With contrast you should be looking for the point of blooming and not the fact that all the boxes are different shades. Pumping contrast to its highest limits will just loose pic detail.
    I would also recommend a copy of Avia (which i prefer to DVE).

On the disc there will be a sharpness pattern. if you pump sharpness you will see it add edge enhancment to the pattern ie black lines will get like a white line shadow. Back sharpness down till there gone.

I tend to flatline the dvd player then calibrate the display.

Also THX optimisers are for the film on that disc only. Not realy a universal calibration but a starting point i guess.

8. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you again Dustin!

Can you please elaborate a little more on "looking for the point of blooming"?

Also, by "flatlining" the dvd player you mean keep it with the factory default settings right? (i.e., you calibrate the tv first, then the dvd player, correct??)

Sorry for the probably dumb questions :(

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    What type of TV do you have? CRT LCD or DLP

leave dvd player alone except for setting up for 16:9 or if its an upconverting dvd player set it up for native res etc, but leave the settings like contrast etc at 0. If your dvd player has the function and being a denon it might, you may have a setting for 0ire or 7.5ire. set it to 0ire then perform calibration on the TV/display.

Once you set up the display you should not need to tweak the dvd player again, bar very minimal fine tuning.
    Hard to describe blooming as the DVE disc shows it so well. It also has a power function that has a couple of lines that bend as you increase contrast(for crt users) which show if your power supply can handle a high contrast setting.
    But basicly it will look like the white in the top shade box is moving into the black area around it ie blooming. If i remember correctly white level should be set at the very last shade of grey just before it hits pure white. the square will look like its getting bigger. You want to set contrast at the point before this start to happen. brightness will interact with contrast so you have to play with both settings to get it spot on. You realy need DVE as they make it sound so much easier than i have.

Keep in mind blooming is not visible on LCD or DLP displays, there is a different test to set contrast with these displays

10. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I guess I'll wait for my DVE copy to perform the calibration :thumbsup:

I have a Sony 32" LCD (KLV-V32A10).

My Denon is an upconverting player so when you say "or if its an upconverting dvd player set it up for native res etc," you mean that I should perform the tv calibration in 576p since it's the DVE disc native resolution, i.e. PAL (even if I usually watch movies in 720p?) ???