Some very simple questions Re: charging at home

tonycommander

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, just ordered first EV on our works salsac scheme which ought to be here in feb/mar all being well.

Audi E-tron SUV if it matters.

However i have a couple of questions regarding home charging...

We have solar panels that were installed quite a while ago on a scheme whereby the installer takes the feed back tariff from the government - but i can use all the electricity i like during the day for free.

im seeing home chargers that are solar panel compatible , but im wondering just what that really means..

I work from home and only really go the office once or twice a month so even in winter when the panels only create single digit kWh i could happily let the car take a few days to charge ( we have other ICE cars as well, just in case ).

So my question is - is there a way to configure a home charger to only charge when the solar panels are active?

many thnaks

So my question is - is there a way to configure a home charger to only charge when the solar panels are active?

It depends on the charger. My parents have an EO Mini Pro with the solar option.
They drive a plug in hybrid Prius so quite a small battery and doesn't commute etc.

I'm sure you know the output of the panels will vary a lot over the year.
A domestic solar install will not have the output of a 7kW fast charger even on a sunny summer day.
It will take a lot of electricity to fully charge the E-tron so it could be a long time.
In winter if the solar doesn't keep up the minimum 6A suggested, you may end up trickle charging on peak rate electricity vs. scheduling an overnight charge on an off peak rate.

1637667028904.png

Our zappi is doing what you are suggesting as I type this at ~2kW! With short days this time of year, it doesn't supply a lot of energy, but left to graze over a few sunny days, it can fully charge.

@tonycommander we have the same deal, but as we only have 2kW of panels we rarely generate enough to be worth syphoning it off to try and charge the car using our 7kW charger so never bothered getting a clever solar capable one. We tend to charge it overnight on a cheap tariff and use any solar excess to run the tumble dryer, dishwasher etc

Yesterday we exported (aka didn't get to use) 1.1kWh which would hardly have been worth plugging in for.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom