Some truly excellent Dr Who news

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Well, it is probably a very sad reflection on me as a person that this piece of news has made my afternoon, but there it is. :)

The news is in two parts:

1) Russell T Davies is standing down as executive producer and writer-in-chief in 2010 (although he will still be in charge of the 2009 specials). I must confess I won't much miss RTD. I admire his energy and drive - the new series wouldn't exist without him - but the actual episodes penned by him tend to be among the less satisfactory ones.

2) The really cool news is that his successor in both jobs - exec producer and writer-in-chief - will be Steven Moffat. Mr Moffat was previously responsible for several TV series including Coupling; he also wrote what are probably the two best stories to date in the new Dr Who, namely The Empty Child ("Are you my mummy?") and Blink (featuring the weeping angels). He also penned the interestingly off-beat series 2 episode about Madame de Pompadour, and was the writer of the Children-In-Need special Time Crash. I think he's about the only writer on the series who really properly gets to grips with the implications of time travel, and I'm looking forward to next week's episode purely because he wrote it! :cool:

Anyway, I think this is fabulous news. :clap:

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7411177.stm

Moffat said that the whole of his career had been "a secret plan to get this job".
:smashin:

drunkenmaster

Novice Member
:clap:Gotta agree with you:clap:

krish

Distinguished Member
A good day for news
... this, and Joey Barton getting his just desserts

Not really a surprise, as this was kind of known months ago, with both RTD and Moffat sidestepping the question with a wry smile

But from the telegraph.....

After a hiatus next year, when there will be four one-off specials, Dr Who will return for a fifth series, which is scheduled to air in 2010.
Only four episodes next year. Not so good news.

IAN P

Novice Member
Good riddance to bad writing,fine piece of news,just get shot of tait and i'll be even more pleased.:thumbsup:

Stinja

Woohoo! :thumbsup:

I must confess I won't much miss RTD. I admire his energy and drive - the new series wouldn't exist without him - but the actual episodes penned by him tend to be among the less satisfactory ones.
That is very politic of you. I could have said the same, but with more... ummm.... colourful language (and not doubt an infraction) to put the same point across.

Now we just need the announcement that Torchwood will be moving to the pre-watershed slot, and Moffat will be using Dr Who in the post-watershed one; given kids arent allowed to be scared anymore... :rolleyes:

discostewart

Novice Member
Dont worry though, in his final episode RTD has a cracker planned....

A gay Cyberman and Oodd couple adopt the doctor's daughter only for her to decide to get a sex op and become a man. In a bizarre twist of fate she/he becomes an evil drag queen and takes over the daleks using subliminal lyrics placed in the frankie goes to hollywood song "the power of love". Finally she converts the daleks into pink mobile discos and sets them down on the streets of london for a disco backed invasion.
---------------------

Sorry ;) Actually I am very grateful for RTD for bringing back dr who and making it as sucessful as he has. He has also shown tremendous grace by stepping down and giving the job to the fan favourite. I just wish for Sally sparrow.

MrO

thats great news, became a fan of Moffat during his coupling years, cracking show. Look forward to seeing what he can add to Dr Who

Kieron

Distinguished Member
was hoping to read it was ending :D
haha - EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Either that or Ecclestone is coming back. I think the current Dr is very poor in comparison with all the others. Heck I'd even take Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford over the Jock and Tate!

pmc

haha - EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Either that or Ecclestone is coming back. I think the current Dr is very poor in comparison with all the others. Heck I'd even take Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford over the Jock and Tate!

If he was black (I assume) you wouldn't call him a darkie but apparently you think this is acceptable. Well it isn't. :nono:

Sonic67

Banned
If he was black (I assume) you wouldn't call him a darkie but apparently you think this is acceptable. Well it isn't. :nono:
I was born in West Bromwich and now live in Birmingham. I've been called yam yam and Brummie. What's the problem?

Kieron

Distinguished Member

If he was Australian I'd call him an Aussie.

If he was an American I'd call him a Yank.

How about I go get my ladders to help you off your high horse? :thumbsup:

Or perhaps you'd like to tell the Ministry of Defence to stop referring to the Scots as Jocks :-

http://www.army.mod.uk/hqschinf/itc_catterick/1_itb/the_royal_regt_of_scotland.htm

And I quote...
For centuries the soldiers of the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland have been familiarly referred to as the Jocks - powerful fighting men who have enjoyed an enviable reputation within the British Army.

Scotland's Infantry - Soldiers of a Proud Warrior Nation

There's nothing REMOTELY derogatory using the name "jock" - it's entirely different to making a racist statement and I do certainly hope you aren't insinuating that I am a racist.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Great news, does anyone know why Davies is stepping down?, thats more interesting.

Glad Moffat is going the 5th series, but thats in 2010 :( till then Davies is still around.

Noticed that Steve Moffat has done the screenplay for Spielberg's Tintin movie for 2009, this could be his first feature movie and his big break, well done.

mattclarkie

Novice Member
Dont worry though, in his final episode RTD has a cracker planned....

A gay Cyberman and Oodd couple adopt the doctor's daughter only for her to decide to get a sex op and become a man. In a bizarre twist of fate she/he becomes an evil drag queen and takes over the daleks using subliminal lyrics placed in the frankie goes to hollywood song "the power of love". Finally she converts the daleks into pink mobile discos and sets them down on the streets of london for a disco backed invasion.
---------------------

Sorry ;) Actually I am very grateful for RTD for bringing back dr who and making it as sucessful as he has. He has also shown tremendous grace by stepping down and giving the job to the fan favourite. I just wish for Sally sparrow.

One of the best posts I have seen in a while.:thumbsup:

krish

Distinguished Member
I don't think that Colin Baker would be offered the job as he's now so fat that he wouldn't be able to get through the Tardis door
some remote control trickery with the sonic screwdriver and he can get the to Tardis materialise around him

However, I can't believe anyone would ever want to see Bonnie Langford back :eek: :eek:

Sonic67

Banned
However, I can't believe anyone would ever want to see Bonnie Langford back :eek: :eek:
I'd prefer her to Catherine Tate. Then again I'd prefer Adric to Catherine Tate.

Great news, does anyone know why Davies is stepping down?, thats more interesting.
I think he'd always planned to do it for so long and then leave. Maybe he knows it needs to be kept 'fresh'.

This was written at the start of the last series:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...e-saviour-of-saturday-night-drama-473512.html

For his next project, dubbed MGM (More Gay Men), Davies plans to return to the domestic arena of Queer As Folk. Nicola Schindler, doyenne of Manchester-based Red Productions, is waiting patiently until he has finished Doctor Who - and he is signed up for at least two more series - to make the new drama, which will be "a bit more 40-year-old".

"I thought of Death in Venice. Like any 40-year-old, you start to feel like 20-year-olds are an alien race. It will be on BBC1 hopefully. I'm quite aware that the BBC hasn't got a big gay series and should."

There's a suprise.

pmc

If he was Australian I'd call him an Aussie.

If he was an American I'd call him a Yank.

How about I go get my ladders to help you off your high horse? :thumbsup:

Or perhaps you'd like to tell the Ministry of Defence to stop referring to the Scots as Jocks :-

http://www.army.mod.uk/hqschinf/itc_catterick/1_itb/the_royal_regt_of_scotland.htm

And I quote...
For centuries the soldiers of the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland have been familiarly referred to as the Jocks - powerful fighting men who have enjoyed an enviable reputation within the British Army.

Scotland's Infantry - Soldiers of a Proud Warrior Nation

There's nothing REMOTELY derogatory using the name "jock" - it's entirely different to making a racist statement and I do certainly hope you aren't insinuating that I am a racist.
As a Scot I find the term generally offensive, as do many others.

The way you used it was particularly offensive. You were deriding David Tennant as you don't like him and chose to deride him with the term 'Jock'. You clearly meant in a derogatory fashion.

Ian J

Banned
I have had to delete a few posts from this thread and the next person that calls pmc a big girl's blouse will be in trouble