1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some tips when deciding to buy??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lachesis, Sep 22, 2004.

1. lachesis

lachesis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I've pretty much decided that I'm going for the 32" LCD rather than the 42" Plasma for xmas. I haven't made any decisions yet but am readin reviews and keeping up to date with what happens. So far I've gathered:

1. Philips seem to produce the best value for money-wise
    2. The Sharp Aquos looks nice
    3. Most of you on here seem to go for the Pannys??

Anyway, when I've narrowed it down to like three or four TV's I like - I'm going to go in the testing centre and basically play them next to each other and compare. So far I am thinking of a football DVD, the Helms Deep Battle scene in LOTR-Two Towers and a normal movie to see the picture quality/brightness & definition differences, any other suggestions with what to test?

Also one last thing - will broadcast qualit be displayed the same as a DVD. For example if I watched a live match - there would be that 'digital blur' on the grass, would this still be the saem if it was on a DVD player?

Cheers

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You don't say how you intend to connect. If its via DVI/HDMI, don't use LOTR - it will play irrespective of HDCP compliance. You mention both the Sharp and Philips. If you have not already, check out the Loewe Xelos SL 32 HD or HD/DR+. IMO, better PQ than when I had a brief demo of the Philips and extended view of the Sharp Titanium/G Series and many other benefits that may or may not be beneficial.

No matter what you demo, make sure you demo against your preferred sources. I had an issue with my new Loewe and HDCP and for 24 hours and I was worried that I had wasted 3+ grand. If I had of demo'd first and seen it working, I would have slept well. But its sorted now (power up HDCP source after the display) and stand by my recommendation of the PQ of the Xelos for DVD/DVI and Freeview.

As for 'motion blur'; I do not believe that you will have a problem with the latest generation panels.

-Ian