1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some tips for a cheap setup!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shorn, Aug 22, 2003.

1. shorn

shorn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I havent really got a Home Cinema as such but really aspire to one in the future! so im looking to get the most out of what Ive got.

I have a Akura 28" Nicam TV, (Two scarts and Audio phonos and Video socket).
    A bush 2020 DVD player (optical and coaxial audio outs, phono audio outs, s-video and scart socket)

I also have a pioneer mini system, old but really nice sound still (just phono inputs) and 2 speakers connections are the ones where the wire clips in.

What im looking to do is get some 5.1 sound I have some great Kenwwod speakers from another system, Front and rears.

I just want to be able to get Dolby 5.1 Sound and get the most out of what I have, if someone could recommend and purchases bearing in mind I want to spend as little as possible!

Any help much appreciated! Many thanks!

2. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Does your DVD player have 5.1 output? An AC3 or DTS decoder built in? If so all you need is an amplifier with 5.1 inputs and a 6 speaker package.
    Yamaha used to do a good package with a receiver based on the award winning DPS592 & 5 speakers with sub for about £300. The qulaity of this system still suprises me today when I hear it.

Richer Sounds and others are selling 5.1 non decoder amps very cheaply indeed as most amps these days come with decoders built in. For not a lot more you can get an amp with a decoder built in if you DVD player does not have this option.

The cheapest resolution is to buy a combined amp & speaker package, however generally speakers bought separately tend to be better quality and you also have the choice of matching to your preferences.

Buy and enjoy.

3. shorn

shorn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the dvd player does have a built in decoder, (i think?!) it displys the DD and DTS signs on the casing and im sure it selectable.

So bearing this in mind, If I got an amp with 5 speaker outlet i could rig it up?

4. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Possibly. The logos may only show compatibility not decoding ability.

On the back of the DVD player check to see if you have a group of six phono or RCA sockets saying 6CH out. If so these six can go straight into the 6 inputs of a 5.1 amp.

5. shorn

shorn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no on the back of the dvd player is just 2 phonos and optical and coaxial sockets!:p

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You need an AV amp with decoder or a speaker package with decoder (amp better option!!) have a look at richer sounds they do some great deals on Yammaha kit and speakers (stay away from Sherwood if you can!!!!

7. tpullen

tpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you really want to do it one the cheap try a Videologic Digitheatre system. £94 "manufacturer returns" from Morgan Computers:

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=708&CategoryID=146&SubCategoryID=

or the DTS version here:

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=1060&CategoryID=123&SubCategoryID=

for a bit more cash (can't seem to get to that page via the website, so they might not have any stock).

Not heard it myself, but there is plenty of discussion on it elsewhere on the forum if you do a search.

8. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

First post in this section, looking for a good but reasonably priced piece of kit to go with the new TV. I have a 5.1 decoder in my DVD. Would the Yamaha kit from Comet do a good job?

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/285_120197.html

Can I just stick my optical connection from the DVD into it along with my CD, turntable etc and away I go?

Sorry for being so ignorant on this subject but this one is all new to me. I'm used to having 5.1 built into the TV.

Bazza